>decide to try Linux Mint
>it looks like shit and burns up my laptop hotter than Windows 10 ever did
>no really, it looks worse than Windows XP
>decide to try Windows 7
>my laptop runs cool, no botnet running
>everything looks nice and will update for another 4 years

Who Windows 7 here?

I'm sorry, but Linux is not ready yet.

Google needs to create a Linux-based desktop OS because all of those shitty distros are terrible next to even 20 year old versions of Windows.

Can we just admit this already?

Other urls found in this thread:

stratigery.com/msft.shilling.html
cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICROSOFTS_WAR_AGAINST_LINUX.html
furiousfanboys.com/2013/06/microsoft-caught-astroturfing-reddit-to-praise-xbox-one/
techrights.org/2007/11/23/astroturfing-microsoft-examples/
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tries THEE pleb distro
>linux is not ready yet guise

>no botnet running

Do we tell him, guys?

install gentoo

Install Gentoo with drivers.

Get Debian or Fedora and then pick your desktop environment like everyone else.
Linux gives you a lot more freedom than Windows, use it to your advantage instead of expecting a pre-baked environment that you are forced to become comfortable with.

This is what normies call being a "power user" (not being lazy)

How about you actually use drivers instead of using your CPU for rendering?

nvm, actually, I am pretty happy that you stay where you are, wincuck. That way I do not need to tell you shit that you knew if you actually rtfm

>linux mint
That shit stinks.

tfw just installed ubuntu for babbies first linux its... fun : )

>Linoox looks bad

>it looks good when you strip out all the ugly UI shit

Fuck off, retard. Loonix looks like shit.

>All of this asspain over being told the obvious

OP is not being honest.

Desktop background is what looks good.

download a mainline ubuntu kernel and install it with dpkg -i

Why do lintards ALWAYS steal everything?

>linux looks like shit
Only for pajeets that can't set it up.
Linux always looks like you want, if you are normal person.

>implying that iShit invented GUI

>not realising Linux did it first

this looks bad

>Linux
GNU, sorry.
What you reffering as linux in fact GNU.

If Apple didn't invent the graphical GUI interface then who did?

Xerox

>ITT: Retards who don't understand that GNU/Linux has multiple choices of DE available, unlike Windows.

Only distro that does not burn your laptop is manjaro xfce but after updates it fucks up too. Also it is really unstable.

Windows has multiple choices for DE too. Just nobody needs to use them because the default is good enough for 99.99% people to just get on with other tasks like work and entertainment rather than sitting at their machine 18 hours a day staring at wallpaper and fucking with various DE's and configs/themes because nothing else works right.

>graphical GUI interface
>graphical graphical user interface interface

the people from whom Apple stole it

Distro?

>and will update for the next 4 years
Funny, i only need about 1 minute to update with Linux.

Debian or Arch?

>Ancient or unstable?

lol no

Apple actually licensed the xerox star gui with Apple stock options as payment & made the apple lisa.

>>decide to try Linux Mint
>Linux Mint

I kinda agree with you OP, but you picked the worst distro there is.

>you picked the worst distro there is.

you'd say that about any distro I pick unless it was some autism distro.

Fucking lost it

Nah, let him believe that... he seems to be so in peace

too true

that looks like shit tho
only the background is nice

well what do you recommend then

macOS

Ouch dubs speak truth

>no really, it looks worse than Windows XP

Then change it. You can make it look like whatever you want. There are skins that make it look exactly like Windows 7 if that's the kind of design you like.

No. Ubuntu is good and noob friendly.
There's pretty much no reason to use anything else for 99% of people.

>those massive sight-impaired size fonts
>jittery letter-spacing on the time
>abuse of pixel borders and drop shadows on the taskbar icons makes it look like someone punched the screen
>backwards/double drop shadow on the taskbar
>random gaps everywhere
Just hire a fucking designer already you FOSStards

kek

xubuntu

So they can end up looking as disgusting as Windows 10 or OSX?

Xubuntu.

If you don't value design, yes, of course.

>my product's entire existence must be defined by how much i petulantly hate its competition

What are for favorite XFCE themes?

My primary OS is Windows. I just hate the look of Windows 8+10, and OSX starting with Yosemite itself just looks like a mediocre Gnome theme. Maybe not terrible, but very mediocre.

GOLD
O
L
D

>Ubuntu is good

this is what Sup Forums has become

>several hours of unpaid labor to rice out a shitty DE
versus
>3 clicks of a mouse to make everything look good

I'm not a winfag, but linux DEs are all seriously shit and their vanilla configs are abysmal

Plasma 5 might be the only one that looks and works any good out of the box. Everything else is hot garbage because all of it is literally forks of an ancient relic of a DE, and if it isn't shit then it has shitty bugs (Cinnamon crashes on VNC/xrdp) or looks like it belongs on a tablet and has awful UX (Gnome3).

>Google needs to create a Linux-based desktop OS

this

I need windows for work. Got tired of 10's shit throughout the year. Was swapping my laptop's miserable 64 gig ssd for 250, figured I'd finally get a better OS.

Got Win 7, I don't know how I lived before. Not to mention that if your pc came with 8 or 10 pre-installed, you can >legally downgrade to 7 if you call up MS. Good stuff

I installed Linux on my Mac and all I had to due was search the package manager for mac fan

I think I searched google for another fan daemon

imy laptop is actually cold

>what is chrome os

so im building a new pc and i was going to install mint on it. but i see you guys shitposting all about mint. is it really that bad or are you guys so memed out your autism cant handle anything but whats the "most bestest"

give me the honest truth. is mint bad or is a casual like me going to be just fine

>used multi-monitor setup so long single monitor is choking
>sick of 10 and MS's shit in general
>go back to 7
>all is well
>except that since it's not designed for multimonitor system in the first place or it's a (intentional) bug in drivers drivers or what not refresh rates between monitors go desync and playing videos or games in either monitor will lag/lose frames
>go to 8.1
At least it's not 10

Why do normies constantly complain about GNU/Linux? Do they think we care about their opinion?

If you don't program and aren't interested in operating systems, GNU/Linux isn't for you.

I'll tell you the honest truth user. Linux is the kernel, and your typical distro is nothing more than just different configs on top of the same kernel.

With that in mind, it literally does not matter much if you use Linux Mint or Arch or even Gentoo. One distro isn't going to magically make Linux a better experience because as I said, it's just a different package of software on top of the same base.

With all that said, Linux Mint is the only distro really worth using for normies and casuals which is like 80% of all computer users for just want to post on imageboards, use Facebook, and torrent Chinese cartoons to watch.

Unless you have something like an iPhone, you'll be fine with Mint. Honestly.

Yea, Linux is pretty boring to talk about.

I've noticed fps lag in monitors that aren't the "main" monitor. Is there truly no way around it on 7?

>GNU/Linux

Unless you can backport WDDM 1.1(win8.1) or WDDM2(win10), no

nah fuck that guy. im the user whos building a new pc. i wanna know cause if linux mint is legitimately bad ill avoid it. but it looks pretty user friendly. and im no computer guru

considering im a normie casual and from what you said ill probably be just fine with mint. thanks bro

There's no real problem with it. It's just that Mint's existence is completely pointless as it's literally just Ubuntu with a custom wallpaper and more non-free software. May as well use Ubuntu with a DE of choice, you won't even feel the difference and you'll have removed an extra maintainer from the equation.

>WDDM 1.1(win8.1)
I mean WDDM 1.2

true

I'd recommend Kubuntu

Anything KDE is probably an easier transition for a Windows user.

Why all wincucks feel the urge to shitpost their recent failure in tech?

Try OS X

>implying that open source is competing with proprietary garbage
>not even understanding that we are playing an entirely different game
>being this dense
>glhf

The GNU Richard Stallman.

It's just important to not allow the insane amount of choice overwhelm you. As long as you know that it does not matter what distro you use, because by the nature of Linux, you can always mod a basic distro like Ubuntu or Mint to your liking, or do what said and use on of the flavors of Ubuntu.

Mint is pretty much the only distro that matters, really.

It's stable, at least more stable than fucking w10 or debian testing.

>I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
>There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Whelp

Fug :-DDDD

enjoy your screen tearing

Ark dark with numix circle icons

I will never use Loonix

>not liking the goat OS

I think we've found the secret beind the Mint hate

buttmad Ubuntu users who are furious that their distro is 5th popular on distrowatch and mainly used by africans who understand what Unbuntu means and need free OS

I get bored of W10, too.
I want to install a Linux Distro, which Sup Forums recommends me.
I tried with Bunsenlabs, but for some reason I am not able to boot it w/ USB.

Bonus point for comfy looking and light desktop like Bunsenlabs.

>what is compton

Ignore these retards. The only good distro for normies is Ubuntu. Sorry stallman, but having botnet = quality. As long as Ubuntu prevailing means we get more binaries for the Linux kernel, I'm all for it.
t. Gentoo user for 1 year now

You're a retard

Ok guys can you or can you not play games on lunix? Is there some sort of way you can run the games in a bootcamp esque environment?

Your EVANGELISM seems pretty EFFECTIVE.

stratigery.com/msft.shilling.html
cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICROSOFTS_WAR_AGAINST_LINUX.html
furiousfanboys.com/2013/06/microsoft-caught-astroturfing-reddit-to-praise-xbox-one/
techrights.org/2007/11/23/astroturfing-microsoft-examples/

no, you can't, there are only hacks and shit games

I just get a VM from modern.ie and play in a VM

Yes

steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos

>instead of expecting a pre-baked environment that you are forced to become comfortable with.
sounds like youre autistic and prefer to use a broken mess that can't be used for anything instead of just learning existing practices

The no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

5 rupees have been deposited in you're jar in the loo.

Customization options on windows are much worse than on linux, that's an obvious fact. When you can customize windows is a PITA. Why do you need to call names in order to sell the lack of a feature as a feature?

Holy fuck you need to kill yourself that is horrible.