So when the fuck is pic related going to take off?

So when the fuck is pic related going to take off?
Sup Forums has been promising me for years that it'll be any minute now but it just hasn't happened.

Hardware decoders are more or less here and still coming with 10-bit Intel being promised with Kaby and AMD promising to bring god's gift to technology in the form of Zen. Not like it matters because aparently a fucking g4400 can play 10-bit 4k or at least 1080p just fine through software.

Yet I'm still watching shit in everything BUT this crap. Like a goddamn peasant.

What's the excuse now Sup Forums? Do we need the masses to buy into the 4k meme more? Do we need the gamers to start getting $800 monitors to be paired with their $200 GPUs?

Other urls found in this thread:

x265.org/proposal-accelerate-hevc-adoption/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOMedia_Video_1
wp.xin.at/archives/3561
abload.de/image.php?img=original0klbc.png
abload.de/image.php?img=h265itapf.png
abload.de/image.php?img=h264sga5e.png
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S54788597
builds.x265.eu
aomedia.org/
katcr.co/community/index.php/topic,310.0.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

do you have any comparison graphs or shit
i want to know the advantage to h264

H264 is good enough.
BluRay isn't adopting H265.
Only a few anime rippers are using H265
Hell the movie SCENE is still on old ass XVID with only modern movies being ripped to H264

Hardware support is lackluster unless you're running the latest hardware.
By support I mean full hardware acceleration so, not software decoding.

It will never take off

x265.org/proposal-accelerate-hevc-adoption/

HEVC is pretty much dead

AV1 will crush it in adoption

Some fan"subbers" on Sup Forums already use h265.

But from what I hear it has massive increased encoding time and very little gain over h264. So mist don't use it.

Size/Bandwidth at the cost of computational power and memory.

The problem at the moment is also the people doing encodes are shit at it. There's h265 rips that are twice the size but worse than the equivalent h264 versions.

>a fucking g4400 can play 10-bit 4k or at least 1080p
It can't do FHD 10bit much less 4k 10bit.

I'm not into chinktoons, but I download all new movies in HEVC, because you get a watchable quality at under 1GB and my internet is slow.

>Sup Forums has been promising me for years
That would be diaz, noboday in scene want to pick up HEVC.
Also reminder he's the one that introduced 10bit, and killed many people in house fires.

Hevc good for low bitrate. For high bitrate, h264 is still winning

i do some HEVC encoding

>Sup Forums has been promising me for years that it'll be any minute now but it just hasn't happened.

Why dont you reencode your x264 downloads and convert it into x265, then upload them it yourself (assuming you downloaded from private trackers in the first place)

>It will never take off

I am actually seeing a lot more x265 releases in public trackers.

Its already taking off thanks to ease in Transcoding and piracy

Explain yourself op, i encode hevc for work, 10 videos a day.

>The problem at the moment is also the people doing encodes are shit at it

True that. What's worse is that they're using scene encodes instead of untouched sources.

This

Good thing a lot more independent uploaders are cropping up every year who are not completely autistic with their uploads/releases.

KAT definitely was the gateway for non scene releases getting more popular in public trackers. Helped provide a lot more variety in quality and sizes that otherwise would not have been available

>reencode your x264 downloads
Wouldn't that result in quality drop?

Only if you are shit at it

The only way to get less shit at it is through trial and error

most anime releases are remuxes or transcodes of the raw releases
so anyone could grab a remux or the raws and do their own encode from the same material others use

H265 takes too long to encode and the scene folks always want to be the first one to show up with their rips, so it's low bitrate 264 all the way for them.

Handbrake does a decent job imo

There are few x265 scene releases but I doubt if these scene groups are associated with the kabal

>H265 takes too long to encode

It's not that big of a difference, around 30% longer.

The reason scene doesn't use it is because they're all about standards, that's why they still used Xvid a few years ago.

What are the hardware requirements to run this shit? What's the cheapest intel processor capable enough for 1080p 10 bit?

People are freaking out about this like when x264 Hi10p or whatever was going to be a thing. Half a decade later and there's barely anyone using that.

Anything Intel based on Skylake has is capable of 10bit decoding via Intel QuickSync, which can be enabled even if you have a dedicated GPU
wp.xin.at/archives/3561

>Sup Forums has been promising me for years that it'll be any minute now but it just hasn't happened.

There is x265 anime, though, user.

10bit won't be a thing for a while.

Consumers are too stupid to care about colors and shit. 4K is all that matters.

>Hardware decoders are
A meme, i just brute force it with my CPU.

w-where?

The usual place.

gotcha

Hardware decoding on Intel is available only for 8-bit H265 on skylake.

10-bit H265 hardware decoding is only available on a handful of intel processors. I think it's mostly mobile ones. It won't be until Kaby Lake when it will actually be widespread throughout their line up.

Latest GPUs have it though so you can go that route. The problem is really with HTPCs and such

Kaby Lake has HEVC Main10 hardware decoding

No reason to buy anything but Kaby Lake, AYYMD has nothing until next year for Main10 hardware decoding

>No reason to buy anything but Kaby Lake, AYYMD has nothing until next year for Main10 hardware decoding
Newer GPUs have it. Besides, all skylakes can brute force 1080p HEVC Main10.

The only issue is 4k HEVC Main10. That one's a bitch. Pretty much all mainstream processors struggle there with software decoding.

You guys are forgetting that trying to decode it on a PC isn't really all that important. H264 is well supported by all kinds of consumer hardware as was xvid. This is what ensures adoption by people other than random transcoders on p2p. When you see hardware decoding in game consoles, phones, and raspberry pi like devices it will have a better chance.

This is the real problem.

No one in the industry gives a fuck about the PC (mac and linux included) space, as of course the hardware will be powerful enough. Its all about low power mobile and console-like devices.

Brute force software decoding isn't power efficient & kills battery life

luks gud tho

No it does not

Hardware decoders must match the output of software decoding as in the H.264 and HEVC spec

The outdated meme about hardware decoding being worse than software decoding has long been debunked

Go ahead, software decode 4K 60FPS or even 120FPS HEVC 100Mbps
Do you get smooth playback like on Pascal GPU's hardware decoding or Kaby Lake's hardware decoding?

the post was ironic, hence the memetext

here i tested with hand brake sometime ago.

abload.de/image.php?img=original0klbc.png original h264 around 30 Mbps

abload.de/image.php?img=h265itapf.png h265 10 Mbps

abload.de/image.php?img=h264sga5e.png h264 10 Mbps

look at geralt legs and tree.

>What's the excuse now Sup Forums?
Royalties for distributing HEVC-encoded content.

P2P is an absolutely terrible indicator for the global video distribution market.

Here is an old 10-bit HEVC thread we had a few months ago for anyone interested:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S54788597

OP was using the 10-bit x265 encoder, version 1.9+183

Latest 10-bit x265 encoder can be found here:

builds.x265.eu

Anyway it looks like HEVC might still be a pain in the ass to encode, taking more than 3X longer than H264 to encode so we need cheaper processors with better performance to encode video at 30+ FPS especially in 1080p. Zen sounds promising, but i dunno.

Another issue is software decoding on phones. Currently you need something like a snapdragon 805 to decode 10-bit 720p HEVC and it uses up battery life quickly. So until hardware decoders for 10-bit HEVC arrive for phones, mobile users are fucked.

That was actually a good thread, I remember trying to start some encoding threads before that one but none of them too off. Too much shitposting from amd/nvidia fucks.

Also the only good thread that tripfag has ever made.

Adding to this: the latest x265 encoder is version 2.0 but I don't think much has changed in terms for encoding/decoding efficiency, at least not by much.

P2P is a good indicator of mass usage, the legal market is forced to use whatever standards the big companies shove down everyones throat

HEVC will become mainstream simply because people will find content in smaller sizes with relatively less loss in quality

Lol, not until tablets and phones adopt HEVC will it actually take off.

P2P is not the masses though, its likely a fraction of a percent in terms of usage. Especially when you factor in Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube.

I really fucking hate this. The HW decoders exist yet qualcum refuses to put them on phones. Why are they doing this to us? We pay close to a fucking grand for a phone yet we don't get something as simple as a little embedded HEVC HW decoder? Fucking bullshit man.

>3X longer than H264
its probably match same speed with x264 if encoding on haswell cpu because of heavy avx2 optimizations in x265

Got 131 movies in HEVC/x265 10-bit 1080p format (Tigole, excellent encoder), they play on my LG G Flex 2 with hardware decoding using MX Player Pro, no issues for me.

Kinda miss his encodes actually, as soon as KAT died he decided to take a break, hope he'll become active again with some other site if one happens along.

I think you're a bit off base. P2P can support all kinds of niche formats. This usually comes by way of transcoding scene releases. A good example is what happened when the scene dropped xvid, iptorrents set up scripts to automatically transcode all scene TV releases to xvid then upload them. The shit trickles down to p2p. They're now doing the same with x265 and the download numbers really aren't that great. There's more people downloading xvid still even.

The encode time is a big factor. The scene is all about groups racing to be the first one to upload and pre something, especially on the TV side of things. Hardware support is important to them as well as you can see from the comments from the time when they dropped xvid.

Even without the scene it will take more than what's currently happening for us to see widespread adoption. Hardware decoding is what's truly important and I'm not just talking about your PC either. I can decode 1080p H264 with a shitty $30 android box I imported from China. In 2007 I was watching xvids on a $30 DVD player. That's where the demand for piracy is at, low cost devices.

>its probably match same speed with x264 if encoding on haswell cpu because of heavy avx2 optimizations in x265
Nope, that there is 10-bit HEVC video being encoded so intel processors don't get any shortcuts.

Considering exclusive content like ones on Netflix or HBO are outnumbered in viewers who pirate them, I would say P2P is relatively more mainstream than other content providers

Hell SnapDildo won't have them for a long time.
Qualshit still insists to segregate features between the 4xx 6xx 8xx series lineups.

Like noCA on the 4xx, 2CA on the 6xx and 3CA on the 8xx. Hell they also force the phone manufacturers to license the bands they want to use although the chipset can work with all of them.

Fucking jews and fucking features restricted to only the 8xx housefire CPUs.

They arent free senpai. it would force they to pay a royalty per-chip/device produced. And that shit adds up fast.

Good luck beating AV1 (successor to VP9) + Opus.

Pretty much every major software company (besides Apple) is on board the consortium behind it, CPU/GPU powerhouses like Intel, AMD, ARM and Nvidia, as video streaming providers such as YouTube, Netflix and Amazon, and browser developers such as Google, Mozilla and Microsoft.

aomedia.org/

Well I did try some encoding and it took like 36h and saved like 1GB on a 3GB h264 that only took like 3h to encode. As long as processing power does not catch up and storage keeps cheap I don't see myself using it.

(in general) This is absolutely false, who told you that?

The only scenario where this may have been true, is where content wasnt available in a given country (ie, GoT and Canada etc).

Other than that, P2P is no where near as popular as legal means.

hopefully those dumb fucks cant sort out the patent problems and AV1 hits market before HVEC adoption.

Storage density is hitting its physical limit iirc. 12tb hdds being the logical stopping point before NAND becomes cheaper per gig.

AV1 is a streaming codec you dumb fuck. Also why would anyone use it when VP9 is already here?

AV1 will just be a meme video codec for personal use, most will start using HEVC.

>I am actually seeing a lot more x265 releases in public trackers.

Does HEVC have any activity outside of piracy?

I mean, having illegal activity be the central use for your format can't exactly be good PR; look what that did for BitTorrent, an awesome legitimate downloading method with a not-so-great reputation due to disproportionate piracy use, unfortunately a lot of people think that crime is the only use BitTorrent has and that includes people who make laws.

Well shit on me, just discovered Tigole's back doing UTR stuff, excellent.

Also, if you want a great guide on HEVC/x265 encoding, you can find it here:

katcr.co/community/index.php/topic,310.0.html

>Well I did try some encoding and it took like 36h and saved like 1GB on a 3GB h264 that only took like 3h to encode. As long as processing power does not catch up and storage keeps cheap I don't see myself using it.
You obviously have no idea how to encode video.

Replace whatever shitty stock encoder meGUI has with the latest one from:

builds.x265.eu

Then encode it using the fast preset and use a CRF instead of bitrate (28 is default). ALWAYS use the fast preset, the slower ones take more time and only reduce file size by like 5%.

>AV1 is a streaming codec

That's why it will win, because streaming is the future of video distribution.

YouTube isn't going to use H.265 anytime soon, so it's not a big concern to me.

>the slower ones take more time and only reduce file size by like 5%.

nope, you're the only one who dont know about encoding

>nope, you're the only one who dont know about encoding
He's right though, anything faster than the "fast" preset is diminishing returns especially at high bitrates. Unless you're trying to beat YIFY and cram movies into 200MB then the fast preset is always the best preset.

how comes it's memecodec, 1080p, yet so blurry?

This is why you never choose the bitrate, always use a CRF unless you are a video streaming website.

it's 720p

not sure why you think i'm not using CRF

Probably reencoded from an already highly compressed release. Also, modern anime has tons of blur applied in production so it's "artistic" or some shit

>not sure why you think i'm not using CRF
The quality looks like ass for 720p HEVC. Use a lower CRF value senpai.

Oh, I see.

> it's 720p
that explains it a bit.
it's still blurry kinda.

got a point there.
so I guess it's both the 720p + muh art.

it's only slightly softer than the source
CRF is 17

Dam nigga, your source is shit. Try to find a blu ray mux.

the source was pretty soft, which is why i downscaled it to 720p

here's one that is sharp enough to justify keeping it at 1080p

Is this 8bit or 10bit?

can nobody read?
>Pixel Format: yuv420p10

noice

hevc is pretty nice

for such a small amount of additional ringing and blurring artifacts, the filesizes are pretty tiny

if i could afford the hdd's to just keep bluray remuxes of everything, i would, but until then, tradeoffs must be made

The anime community still had not adopted it besides some retarded 100mb rips.

Until that happens it will forever be a meme.

265 enabled TV's are already around, now the TV industry has to switch to 265 encoded broadcasting so we can finally have full 1080p tv channels. 4k tv is a meme created by manufacturers so they can pump up the sales. 4k TVs were not hard to manufacture and yet they advertise them like a fucking singularity. 4k is shilling unless you do digital painting, data analysis, movie or audio cutting.

>So when the fuck is pic related going to take off?
Hopefully soon? I'm actually more interested in AV1.

What's your CPU temps when playing this?

It's so taxing just trying to watch 4K 10BIT H264

the second railgun was so shitty, holy hell

This is not the board for it, but I highly disagree.

only uses ~50% (out of 800%, as i have 8 cores) of my cpu during slow scenes, ~120% when there's lots happening

not sure what purpose finding out temperatures would be to you, but it doesn't put a considerable strain on the cpu

cpu is an FX8320

haven't watched it yet

not him but on i-7 x264 is ~4-8% and x265 is ~12-14%

OK.
Then try playing at at X2, and report back also what's the VO and what decoder?

I'm pretty sure Doki does releases HEVC versions for their BDs. In fact their 1080p release of Bakemono no Ko was only released in HEVC.

here's at 2x speed

Doki
are retards that's why

>128%
Not bad
What's the VO on your profile and are you using hwdecoder?
Also why use cache if you're playing files from HDD?

vo=opengl-hq,opengl,xv
scale=haasnsoft
cscale=bicubic
scale-antiring=1
deband=1

hwdec is set to no, not that my HD7850 could decode H.265 (probably, i don't know, if it was decoding on the gpu my cpu usage wouldn't fluctuate based on the video bitrate)

i have cache set because i use mpv also for playing youtube videos and ones streamed over local network shares, there's probably a way to selectively enable cache for different sources, i guess, but why bother, it doesn't affect ram usage that much

>xv
Windows?
And what's with the scale?

>i have cache set because i use mpv also for playing youtube videos
[protocol.http]
cache=yes
cache-default=200000
cache-backbuffer=10000
pause

[protocol.https]
cache=yes
cache-default=200000
cache-backbuffer=10000
pause
Here you go.

>FX8320
>HD7850
Must be nice being rich.

>download 14gb Blu-ray h264 rip
>reencode to 4gb h265
Yeah it will be a quality drop, but people would much rather download a 4gb h265 than a 4 gb h264

Then at least include a vp9 decoder.
Sure it isnt as good as hevc, but its better than h264 and a lot more free.