H E L P

32C ambient

upgrades :3

>tfw 30° C ambient
> mainboard 28°C
wad

Can zen or kabylake just come out already i think it's time for a new cpu

>Athlon X2

Those are the fastest things I could put in an ancient ded rig if I wanna keep the mainboard, how shit are they for just browing the internet and stuff?

My board supports up to Phenom IIs.
Comparable to a baytrail tablet for internet stuff.
Gonna pickup a cheap Nvidia GPU for Edge hardware acceleration, will make higher res youtube actually feasible while doing other stuff.

Probably misreporting or you dont actually have 30c ambient temps.

Your motherboard can't be cooler than the air that is being used to cool it.

Is this the Windows 7 thread?

Every day until GPU

got new gpu a few days ago

Pretty happy with this build, upgraded from 280x to 470 for performance, temps, and VRAM

>inb4 980Ti for that screen
You need more fucking RAM, a better monitor, and an SSD

My "six core" says hi to yours

Should have gotten a 1070 instead of x2 480. Or just waited til the 490

Balanced

Best Korea?

Lookin good

>tfw when your computer only knows eternal summer
>tfw 290/x

>Your motherboard can't be cooler than the air that is being used to cool it.
Yes it can with a fan.

>I was only pretending to be retarded

no, it can't

This is normal for laptops especially if the fans are stopped for power saving when not under load

that's not how physics works user, you'd keep it at exactly ambient temp. The air moving through the heatsink can never cool further than the air itself.

I got 2 for 200 dollars cdn which is really cheap and one will eventually end up in another pc.

>No optical disk drives detected

*tips fedora*

help ;_;

I just bought an Supernova EVGA G2 550w and I don't really know why I bothered. Apart from temps being slightly lower the OCZ Modstream 520w from 2006 was rock solid.

Bet you didn't know you could overclock on this motherboard.

>I just bought an Supernova EVGA G2 550w and I don't really know why I bothered

First they want you to buy a stronger, more expensive PSU 'to be on the safe side' and then they want you to replace it every few years even though it's still fine. I wonder who could be behind this...

>he still uses physical media
welcome to the future, pal

>502MB

>800x600@1Hz
Wtf?

>14MB Grafikkarte

I'm assuming the other 10MB is reserved for the iGPU.

stock clock was bottle necking the i7

>Core 2 Quad
>14MB VRAM
>74GB hard drive
What weird sort of time period dissonance is this? Did you build this machine out of old parts you had lying around?

>60hz displays everywhere.

Why?

Because there are already games that you're struggling to get solid 60 on for most people? Because 144 Hz meme monitors cost extra?

Waiting for OLED

You don't need 144fps to see the obvious benefits of 144hz, it looks better period.

Reminds me when you fucking idiots thought the human eye couldn't see anything past 30fps Jesus christ.

My dad still doesn't understand how gas mileage works either, he says its basic physics the distance is the same so the gas mileage is the same no matter speed you go.

Fucking christ, why is the world so stubborn?

you're gonna be waiting a long time.

>muh 144Hz TN Gay men display with shit colors
>but it's 144Hz!!!!!1111

The 1080 is TN, the 1440p is IPS.

VG248

amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-inch-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0

MG279

amazon.com/ASUS-MG279Q-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C

I'm prepared to wait several years. My current 4K IPS is good enough to last until then.

>he bought a freesync monitor
>with a nvidia gpu
why?

I'm glad i haven't bought into 4k. Very little content there, need another generation of gpu's to even take advantage of it.

By the time 4k is standard, oled will have come down in price, and 8k will starting being a thing.

I bought it for 1440p 144hz. Gsync monitors are an extra $200. the 1440p was about as much as i was willing to spend.

>amazon.com/ASUS-MG279Q-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C

>$599

That might be why, user.

I'm not a gamer faggot.

eh, it might pay off eventually.

nvidia will probably finally adapt to VESA adaptive sync standards sooner or later once intel puts that into their iGPUs, or if the console upgrades use it

you can get a 1080p 144hz monitor for around $200

CPU is 6850K.

Is that an overclocked 4k monitor?

Is that even possible?

amazon.com/PG348Q-Curved-3440x1440-G-SYNC-Monitor/dp/B01C83BE6U

Your monitor costs as much as a mid tier PC. Proof g-sync isn't worth it unless you hate money.

Hehehehehehe

It's 3k, not 4k.

Yeah it's a pretty expensive monitor. I don't think Gsync is what drives the price up though. It's a large screen and I believe curved screens are more expensive to make.

Gsync does make a massive difference over Vsync though. Skip to 1:20...

youtu.be/QU8dnhFZKmM?t=1m20s

I primarily use mine for work. Being able to watch 4K content is just secondary.

>games
>2016

It makes a pretty average difference, but not 1k worth of difference, i'm also on a 1070 not SLI 1080s so i really can't justify that level of enthusiasm. I like gaming, i think I'm good with my setup.

I would also like to say that curved monitors are also incredibly overhyped.

>working at a computer and unable to enjoy games.

that sucks.

>I would also like to say that curved monitors are also incredibly overhyped.

I highly disagree with you. Curved is objectively better as long as you sit in the center of your screen. It's more immersive and it gives the illusion of a slightly bigger screen. If you go to a store and compare the same size side by side, but a flat and curved, curved will seem bigger. I did that exact thing before decided on a curved TV and now a curved monitor. Flat doesn't look nearly as nice to me now.

>i'm also on a 1070 not SLI 1080s so i really can't justify that level of enthusiasm
I work in the gaming/tech industry so it's more worth it for me I suppose.

Well, it's not strictly true that I don't play games. I do enjoy a good puzzle game every now and then. Snakebird was quite entertaining, as was Stephen's Sausage Roll.

But those probably aren't what you meant by “needing another generation of GPUs” since they focus on gameplay over graphics.

Curved is objectively better as long as you sit in the center of your screen. It's more immersive and it gives the illusion of a slightly bigger screen

You have to sit exactly in the sweet spot at all times for this to work, the bigger your screen the bigger problem this is. Curved TVs amplify this problem 100 fold, unless you live alone or live with someone you're intimate with watching movies with others is problematic. The price premium is ridiculous for what it's supposedly offering.

I play games like the witcher 3 and deus ex. Do you have a problem with that?

Well I don't know many people that share a PC monitor with someone else. My 55in curved TV is in my bedroom. I'm either alone or with someone "intimate" so curved suits me just fine.

Well, the only problem I have with that is that it implies you're running Windows. While I don't generally care what people do to themselves, what I do have a reason to care about is the damage it has on the ecosystem around them. By supporting the anti-competitive megacompanies, you are actively damaging the diversity of the market and the ability for consumers like yourself to resist the gradual enslavement of individuals.

Apart from that? No, not particularly.

I like to slouch when i sit, i got to test a curved monitor once before, i am wholly unimpressed considering the price, I'd rather just get a higher resolution. I also really like to flip my monitor into portrait mode for some tasks.

I thought curved TVs became a thing because it was cheaper to manufacture or something. If that's true, and they charge a premium for it, it would be just hilarious

Anyway, what I'd be curious to know is this: Do you have to make adjustments to a FoV projection to optimize it for a curved instead of flat display? And if so, what are they?

I'm not going to waste my life worrying about things out of my control. Windows is the best platform for 90% of people, this doesn't make them unconscious villains you sad strange little man.

Generally no, you don't, curved screens do most of the work for you. Also, they do cost a premium, so it's hilarious.

>Muh victimless crime
I bet you also think that taking hard narcotics does absolutely nothing to the mexican families slaughtered over cartel turf wars

I would be surprised if anyone cares about someone that died down the street, let alone some people in a 3rd world country that was brought up completely unrelated to the topic.

>Anyway, what I'd be curious to know is this: Do you have to make adjustments to a FoV projection to optimize it for a curved instead of flat display? And if so, what are they?
No not at all. The curve is much less than you think it is. Curved screens have a VERY slight curve. Sometimes my friends don't notice until I point it out.

>I thought curved TVs became a thing because it was cheaper to manufacture or something
Nope, curve is more expensive to produce.

Well, I am the mexican family in this analogy. I already know that you don't give a shit about me, you don't need to repeat that. But rest assured knowing that I also don't give a shit about you.

Fortunately, the wrath I will unleash upon you is mostly in the form of not implementing support for your platform in whatever tools I create - an insidious punishment because you won't lament the loss, instead being afflicted by the silent suffering of unknowingness.

And with that, I wish you good luck with your life. May the ways of freedom never enlighten you, so you will end up suffering without realizing it for the rest of your life.

>i'm going to make super ultra cool linux apps and u will never know it. SUFFER@!

You made me laugh, thank you. That is some of the edgiest shit I've ever seen on this website.

The irony is that most of my users are stupid winfags, because some idiot always comes along and ports my software to windows :/

I wish I could get rid of them, they fill the support channels with such high amounts of noise.

My "12 core" says hi to your "6 core"

I remember you. Man, what do you do with that thing? Aren`t most of those drives spares / hand me downs?

Forgot to ask you if that was a laptop last time I seen you post.

I might get a BD drive, but I`d probably just use an external anyways.

You ever consider dropping 60$ on an x5600?

>My "12 core" says hi to your "6 core"
U havin a giggle m80? You've only got 6C/12T. I've got 6C/6T. I'm fine with 3 module / 6 thread lingo though

I was making a joke on the old hype they originally had with "virtual cores." I remember people arguing with me about how their gen1 i7 was an 8 core cpu.

CPU / Mobo only cost me $290 by the way. Gotta love the ebay "as is / for parts" hardware gambling game.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH1NB1871

Is there a good reason why anyone with a gpu that has a dual link DVI port uses anything but these?

Colour is great (PLS panel, equivalent to IPS), 96Hz is more than enough to get a smooth experience from more programs (or if you like games, it's good for that too), 1440p res so ample workspace and a nice size at 27".

Regarding build quality, the two I own have no dead pixels and minimal back-light bleeding and can overclock to 90 and 110Hz respectively before artifacts start appearing.

It's $230. What's your actual fucking excuse for not owning this?

My "16 core" says hi to your "12 core"

Nice, have an 8 core 2680 v2 ES packed in a box. I was using it, but got this 1650 v2 for muh overclock. Didn`t realize these processors were locked down like a cuck`s cock on the base clock. Not sure if I`m going to try and hunt down another motherboard for it, sell it, or contact Intel and see what happens.

>everyone buying the configuration I want

I need to get a job.
But if I get a job I won't need a dual E5-2670.
wat do?

>buys a Xeon
>wants to overclock it
you're a riot

Love used parts, everything in my build except the 470 and the HDDs are used. Had the rig for a while though.

Sheeet things are getting out of hand

Simple: Get a part-time job, like me

Also, buy used. They only cost me $70. It's not the CPU that's expensive, it's the motherboard.

>everything in my build except the 470 and the HDDs are used
EVERYTHING in my build except the 470 and the HDDs IS used.
>mfw

>Not wanting a higher binned chip with a soldered IHS for overclocking.

There`s a reason the 1600's are unlocked, user.

I knew what you meant.

Yeah, I got lucky with my purchases, motherboard was cheap on bid non-posting. Either the seller, or the guy before him tried installing a new bios chip, but fucked up the pins. 13$ chip fixed that.

Then the CPU was being sold as a return from a previous buyer as "non functional." Seller tested using a non-compatible dual CPU dell system. Tempting to go buy the last one he has, confirm it works, then resell it for twice the price.

Yeah, the boards are definitely what cost the most. Though I`m looking at a Lenovo Thinkstation D30 motherboard for $255 right now. Not really cheap, but a pretty fair price. Some dells are 200$, but then you have to deal with their bullshit form factor.

>Not wanting a higher binned chip with a soldered IHS for overclocking.
Meh, the main appeal I see in xeons is ECC support personally. I guess I can see where you're coming from though.

Hello

Yeah, I don`t think this motherboard supports ECC, but it will support up to 128GB of ram if I wanted to spend the cost of the rest of the system on memory alone.

Another big appeal is the fact that xeons almost always come from servers / workstations where they`ve never been overclocked, or reletively mistreated. So when buying used, you get the security that what you`re buying hasn`t already been ran into the ground.

>Yeah, I don`t think this motherboard supports ECC, but it will support up to 128GB of ram if I wanted to spend the cost of the rest of the system on memory alone.
It would be pointless buying that much ram without ECC, because your error rate goes up significantly as you increase the amount of RAM you have. (That's why ECC is such a big deal in servers)

You can get used DDR3 ECC RAM for ultra-cheap though. For example, this site sells an Intel S2600CP2J + 2x E5 2670 SR0KX + 128 GB of DDR3-ECC for $500: natex.us/Intel-S2600CP2J-Dual-E5-2670-128Gb-Kit-p/s2600cp-cpu-128gb-12800.htm

>You can get used DDR3 ECC RAM for ultra-cheap though. For example, this site sells an Intel S2600CP2J + 2x E5 2670 SR0KX + 128 GB of DDR3-ECC for $500: natex.us/Intel-S2600CP2J-Dual-E5-2670-128Gb-Kit-p/s2600cp-cpu-128gb-12800.htm

Damn that`s a nice deal. I don`t have any need for that much memory, though. I`ll eventually get another 16gb kit and run quad channel, Was considering doing 64gb and making a ramdisk. But it`s not that pressing.

>he doesn't actually have 12 cores

>Squirrel: You
>Yaks: Recent posters

32 GiB of ARC is more than enough to serve my 6TB media/OS pool at a 98%+ cache hit rate. Heck even 8 GiB is enough for 95%. I wonder what kind of heavy filesystems workloads you have that would require that much.