/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xbindkeys#Making_changes_permanent
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB
dot.kde.org/2012/07/24/introducing-project-neon-kvm
superuser.com/questions/166359/top-causes-of-slow-ssh-logins
youtube.com/watch?v=2TbbvXK5QS8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hey Debian people, I have a question:
How do you reliably discover which xserver-xorg-video-* and xserver-xorg-input-* to install? I don't want to waste time and storage space installing xserver-xorg-*-all.

install smeagol

By knowing what drivers/hardware you use. For foss nvidia drivers for example it is *-noveau

That's pretty much what I was doing, but I was hoping there was a command or package that could identify it for me when I'm on hardware that I'm less familiar with.

lshw -c display

Alright, Sup Forums I need help. I am a complete Linux babby, just taking a course for in at my local community college. I need to SSH into this local raspberry pi. This worked fine yesterday, but today when I try instead of asking for pi's password it asks for the password of my current profile, and neither password allows me to connect.
What the fuck am I doing wrong?

ssh user@server

Thank you, kind user. For some reason yesterday it was prompting me for the username then password, like I was logging in through TTY.

I'd like to also add on that the commands:

ssh --help
or
man ssh
to read what the help file and manual says. You will remember things a lot better if you find the answers yourself, and you will learn how to find this info in the fist place.

What do you chaps use to read your mail?

Icedove

Alpine here. Most people use Thunderbird I assume.

Based Arch

Ok I've installed xbindkeys, read some man pages and have the buttons working, but after rebooting it appears to have not worked until I opened a terminal and ran 'xbindkeys'. I'm assuming I have to make xbindkeys run on startup?

Google Chrome

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xbindkeys#Making_changes_permanent

disgusting

Gentoo > Arch in every way

ya mad furrycuck?

ChrOpera. It's pretty comfy desu.

based

What's up /flt/? Been using Ubuntu MATE for some time now. Installed on a 250GB ssd separate from my windows 10 install because in the past, windows kept eating my Ethernet driver for Linux. That said, I've randomly been having GRUB freeze on Me. Like 1 our of every 10 boots, GRUB freezes when attempting to select which OS to boot.

Is it possible to install Linux to a flash drive? I mean actual install, not a live boot. And would I still need GRUB to boot off of said USB?

Maybe just the install on my current ssd was dirty and needs a refresh?

Is there any difference if I

sudo emerge --ask www-client/firefox

or if I

sudo emerge --ask firefox ?

Gentards aren't bleeding edge

Newer = better than

Thank you to the user(s) who helped me fix my keyboard volume buttons, you're awesome.

>Is it possible to install Linux to a flash drive?
Yes.
>And would I still need GRUB to boot off of said USB?
If you have UEFI, you don't need any bootloader.
If not, you can use a bootloader other than GRUB2, like SYSLINUX for example.

Gentoo has more freedom and more simplicity. Try uninstalling systemd and let me know how that goes, mate.

Systemd is based

>changed thread name to /fglt/
cancer

No

Portage will babysit you and throw a prompt if it gets multiple matches for a general query

Thanks mang

Alright, I need more help. I've managed to succeed at forwarding X11 to my laptop, but the GUI for things is incredibly slow. For example, there's a delay of 3-4 seconds when I scroll up/down.

Still doesn't change the fact that Arch _requires_ systemd, and you need to break the core of the system to change that. Gentoo provides a lot more freedom in every way.

My motherboard is a Z170 chipset, hence windows 10 out of necessity because 7 wouldn't install. It has UEFI and I installed Windows 10 from disc. How does UEFI replace the bootloader?

And after a little googling. It appears installing to a USB is as simple as manually changing the bootloader location to install on the USB rather than the internal drives.

Also seems there is a guide for Windows 10 UEFI install too.

Question is, is UEFI just the new loader? If I select UEFI install when installing Linux, does it still install GRUB?

>Gentoo has ... more simplicity
lolno

UEFI boots programs called EFI applications, and linux can be loaded as such an application, meaning the firmware directly starts linux. See wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB for details.

I was just trolling desu user, I'm really bored sorry

>My motherboard is a Z170 chipset, hence windows 10 out of necessity because 7 wouldn't install
You what?

>freedom
Stop misusing words. Both have the same amount of freedom, assuming you're using the same package. They have the same license. That's what freedom means in this context.
The word you are looking for is choice.

Gentoo is a very simple system. The foundation of the operating system is not obscured through over-engineering the way Ubuntu is, or any other babby distribution.

It's okay, user. I still love you.

What's the username/password for KDE Neon login?

Choice is a consequence of freedom. If you're referring to how Stallman uses the word, I would capitalize the "F".

dot.kde.org/2012/07/24/introducing-project-neon-kvm

ctrl + f "default"

looks like your picture was scared and fell down. Please help it up again

Anyone? All I can find is people saying to use different encryption methods, and that didn't help at all.

Comfiest file manager?

What do you need it to do? I would suggest Thunar for most people.

superuser.com/questions/166359/top-causes-of-slow-ssh-logins

I'm trying to set up i3lock with an image but all the images I try seem to be really zoomed in, is there an argument to pass to correct this or do I need to edit the pictures to be a certain size?

Nothing special, just don't have one installed.

>Please be civil
>Penguin pissing
Nice passive aggressive shitposting thread senpai.

Thanks I'll take a look
Z170/H170 boards have USB 3.0/3.1/C as their standard. Even the "USB 2" ports on my board are apparently not true 2.0 and still controlled by a 3.0 driver. Windows 7 has no native USB 3 drove during the install.

Tried slip streaming the driver during install and it still says no go.

There's nothing in man i3lock about this, so I'm going to assume that you should change the size.

Thanks user. I did read the manpage prior to posting, but since this is my first time using it I figured I'd just ask. Just edited the pic and it works perfectly.

Choice has nothing to do with freedom, pal. Freedom is not being under control. If freedom was about choice, poor people wouldn't be free because they can't buy a car of their choice and a guy with a broken leg wouldn't be able to jump around.

To systemd: people may argue about the philosophy of it's structure as init system, but there's no reason to argue about freedom; systemd is free software, so you are free not to use it, to change it, or install something different.

quoted the wrong guy?

I really enjoy how nobody replied to 56585985.
Good job /fglt/.

Changing that didn't help because it's not SSH in general, but exclusively X11 forwarding. But with that I decided to try using the -vvv parameter like someone else did.
Every time I do anything, my terminal outputs literally hundreds of 'rcvd [five digit number]' and 'window 2031616 sent adjust [five-digit number]'

found the single one guy who can't into filters

>Choice has nothing to do with freedom, pal.
Again, choice is a consequence of freedom.

>poor people wouldn't be free because they can't buy a car of their choice
...what in the fuck are you talking about? They are free to buy anything they want so long as they have the money to do so. If they were able to get anything for free, their "freedom" would be infringing upon the freedoms of others. As I once read, "your right to swing your fist stops where my face begins".

>and a guy with a broken leg wouldn't be able to jump around.
I...uh...okay.

>systemd is free software, so you are free not to use it, to change it, or install something different.
You literally can't install something different though. You don't know what you're talking about.

What exactly do you expect? X-forwarding is slow.

If you can't do it, okay, doesn't mean that nobody can. :^)

>You literally can't install something different though.
Then tell me how Devuan or any other forks exists? Do you even know how to remove anything from your distro? holy kek

>Fork of Debian
Read the entire convo before you respond, shit head.

>as long as people have the money, they are free
You're really retarded

In which case is it preferable to use fedora vs ubuntu/debian?

If you like doing it for free, get fedora, the testing distro for RHEL. Everything that doesn't break on Fedora goes into RHEL.

>You're really retarded
Nice rebuttal.

Mostly if you want to use yum.

Ripping systemdicks out from Debian is an absolutely terrible idea.

Thank you friend

Sup Forums does this with all the pictures I take

I think it has something to do with stripping the xcif data

Fedora is the tipper side of freedom. While they have strict rules for programs (everything must be free), they make exceptions for drivers.

I don't really need/want to go full libre, and have some experience with ubuntu.
Besides their philosophy, are there any "advantages" to picking debian?

This. It's pointless not to have systemd in modern Linux systems

Picture

There are literally none. I wouldn't install Ubuntu with Unity, but Lubuntu and Ubuntu MATE are great. Debfags will say things about "muh stability", but when pressed, no one is able to come up with significant ways in which Debian and Ubuntu differ.

"advantage" would be stability at this point Ubuntu is more ahead of the curve but less "stable". There is not true advantage to just to/from fedora/debain for really anything other than trying a new system.

Ubuntu is pretty centered around a usable desktop experience and Fedora is aimed at enterprise computer users.

>Ubuntu is more ahead
When will this meme die.
Debian has 3 branches, stable, testing and unstable.

>Hold back packages for half a dacade
>"""Stable"""
Epic meme

Trying to test flashrom before installing libreboot for the first time. I type in the following into the terminal

> ./flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev1.0,spispeed=512

And get "Permission denied." Does anyone have any idea where I goofed? I'm honestly pretty bad with this sort of stuff and I'm trying to learn.

You probably need root access for this so use sudo.

Can i play my games sitll on linux? Like steam and emulators and shit?

I actually don't dislike Unity, but I really have no use for more than half the stuff that comes with it, and want to get more proficient with the command line

At the risk of making myself look like a total idiot and pleb, does that mean I type in "sudo" before the ./flashrom command? Or do I have to use some other tool or method?

I typed in

> sudo ./flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev1.0,spispeed=512

And it said it couldn't find the ./flashrom command.

Steam is natively supported on Linux. But currently the number of games are limited.

Not like you use your computer to play games only anyways

>Picture
Looks like a shit file manager.

youtube.com/watch?v=2TbbvXK5QS8

Is this a program you installed yourself, or a package manager installed for you?

Still a shitty file manager hun.

I used WinSCP to manually transfer the files into the smaller computer. No package manager was involved.

I think the larger problem here is that I'm not entirely sure how SSH works. I'll do a bit more reading on this and try to figure it out. I simply know too little right now to explain my situation.

Point proven

If it was not found, that means you are not in the correct directory. Navigate with cd to where you extracted the file, and look for the flashrom executable. Then you can sudo ./flashrom (though you shouldn't need sudo for this unless you're installing).

>you don't agree with me you must be autistic
Ok son, sorry you can't in to functionality.

Gotcha. I probably placed it into the wrong directory.

Thanks. I'll tinker with it a bit longer.

Are you retarded? Stop talking to yourself

Having a bad day babe? Maybe take a paracetamol and a lie down.

>Try uninstalling systemd
Why? Everyone but you slobs use systemd. How's about dropping the special snowflake act or fuck off to Cannonical, they like to do things their way too.

>I know I don't have the freedom to uninstall systemd, so I will change the topic of discussion to whether or not systemd is "good" in my opinion.

I'm trying sweetie, I really am.

Any good tutorials for first steps into zsh? I want to see if it's really better.