>Linux torvalds uses GNOME 3

Probably with fedora.

Arch fags go die.

zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-reveals-his-favorite-programming-laptop/

Other urls found in this thread:

tylerwatt12.com/dc/
dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=513GY
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-vs-Linux-Mint-How-Safe-Are-We-Really-401480.shtml
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_(operating_system)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OP_(is_a_faggot)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I use Gnome on Arch

come at me

xps 13 master race report

Has the issue with closing the lid to suspend causing a crash been worked around in any way?

It doesn't do this.

>Probably with fedora.

Retard

There is nothing wrong with Fedora it's not only the best distro but the best OS.

fedora isn't an OS

Fedora isn't the only distro to ship with GNOME

it's the best gnome implementation tho

yes it is

I'd reluctantly agree.

As much as fedora shits me, it does get GNOME right.

I guess it is. You sure proved me wrong.

enjoy your builtin automatic brightness fuckery

it's in the panel's firmware, can't be disabled

how does fedora shit you?

>literal paid shills

tylerwatt12.com/dc/

>Not using master race mint
/Thread/

To get some (reasonably common) packages you need to find obscure repos, it manages to be less stable than Arch at times, things seem to break every couple of versions, etc.

It's fine if you are used to it, but it does get annoying.

>Linux torvalds uses GNOME 3
It doesn't say anywhere in the article which GNOME he uses. The laptop in the photo is not his.

rpmfusion has all that stuff tho. it's been really stable for years.

>brags about gnome 3
>posts unity

???

All you need is RPM fusion. For Chrome you can download it from the chrome website.

The only reason Arch has so many packages is because no one reviews the builds.

Looks disgusting desu

it's built into the website to fade in
you can't fool me faggot shill

You found a way to Mint look actually shittier than it did already... Good job bud!

The only reason Linus uses Fedora is because the Debian installer fucked up once in the 90's and he never went back to it.

Those are not builds, those are compile scripts which you are encouraged to tweak/edit/review before compiling

I'm talking about things like libdvdcss.

>using ancient technology

time to die soon granpa

fedy is a graphical tool which includes that kind of stuff

Says the autistic who spend hours trying to make there's look good for Sup Forums yeah fuck right off cucklords its called personal computer for a reason.

>kernel devs have autism
Who would have guessed

It can be disabled on the QHD panel.
Source: I disabled it. Currently running Fedora 24 on a XPS 13. It's like the FOSS version of "just werks" macfags like to spout, except with decent coreutils.

what terminal is that?

>lying on the internet
dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=513GY

That's the new ubuntu unity 8 terminal. It's not out yet.

But it's impossible. It's literally baked into the panel's firmware. Done totally outside of the PC/MOBO. There's no way to change it. Literal opposite of "FOSS"

See

see

>QHD panel only
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

This

QHD makes everything too tiny for a laptop that size and DPI scaling is complete ass even in 2016

>it's literally baked into the firmware
Oh and firmware is written in marble for all eternity? Have you never flashed a BIOS?
Just google it. The QHD panel is reflashable and Dell released a Windows program that disables that """feature""". The FHD has no such connection.

Gnome has fantastic DPI scaling actually.

>moving the goalposts

Just leave the thread, shill.

>there's
Just end it... DOOOOOOO IT

>Apple Retina Display
suck it other laptops apple is the best
>Dell high dpi display without a meme name
Who needs extra dpi anyway its counterintuative

Enjoy your 768p screens I guess.

>using GNOME

No.

Even Linux in the article bitches about its DPI scaling.

>Enjoy your 768p screens I guess.
No, 1080p is plenty. But, you can't disable the auto brightness bullshit on the 1080p version.

Ok find me a DE with better dpi scaling. I so far have found 2 programs that sucked at it, neither included by default in Gnome: Pinta and Inkscape. Even mpv supports it fine.

I won't, because I don't want DPI scaling period. I want the fucking 1080p screen, and I want to turn off its auto brightness crap.

QHDfag here. If the FHD screen was as good accuracy-wise and allowed disabling the adaptive crap I would have bought it. Otherwise it's a huge asperger trigger for me.

Mint is well known to be an unsafe distribution that ships with software it isn't licensed to have by default.

Any program using GTK2 or Qt looks totally fucked on hi dpi still.

It's 2016, grandpa. Stop using GTK2 and Qt apps then.

Explain.

Linux Mint does not issue advisories because they issue fixes instead, which is frankly far more useful.

There's also that most programs outside of those like browsers also have their own special snowflake settings for DPI which makes it a real pain in the ass to keep them all managed.

>article about some autist
>autists ensue in a meaningless discussion resolved with looking it up in google

End what your mothers pussy?

Then use the QHD screen and just set the screen resolution to 1080p.

lwn.net/Articles/676664/

b-b-but the desktop text doesn't get fucked up in XFCE mint when I change the theme

Most of this article has been debunked, such as the bullshit about blacklisting.

That's worse than using a QHD screen. You now have shit scaling and less battery life, not to mention a higher price tag. I'd use Windows at that point, but again: Gnome 3 is great at high dpi.

Nice source.

news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-vs-Linux-Mint-How-Safe-Are-We-Really-401480.shtml

Ubuntu devs are cancer, that's all i learned today.

Actually if you look back at my photo, that's not even the case.

How about the OS itself.

He claims you can't update the kernel in Mint using the GUI, but it's right there in "Update Manager", "View", "Linux Kernels".

What he's pissed about is that it doesn't autoupdate by default, but you can tick a box to do that

And there's a reason it isn't set to autoupdate, because they want to make sure it doesn't break any packages first.

Fine if that does make it insecure, but you shouldn't be using Linux Mint if you knew what you were doing with Linux anyways or doing anything more than using a web browser (e.g. hosting anything at all)

I don't think pretty much any DE updates the kernel automatically...

Shilling because mint devs don't want that new shit from Amazon OS

the fuck cares

>for Sup Forums
Who does anything for Sup Forums?
1:does your current computer give you that comfy warm fuzzy when you use it?
2:Can you access everything in less than 2 seconds?(not judging "how it's done" you want icons? you should use icons.)

If if one or both of these are a no, something is wrong.

I was implying it doesn't, but in Xubuntu it does and I have found no way to fix it

I have only used.
Ubuntu
Windows 7
Windows 10
Mint
Debian
Arch
Would you recommend me to try it out?

It's just ubuntu, there's nothing different about it save for it being xfce, if you change the theme to arc the desktop text will fuck up

xubuntu is awesome. i used ot use arch openbox etc. xubuntu is solid. just make sure yo use conpton. avoid screen tearing

i have issues with getting the text on my terminal fixed it drives me crazy when im trying to compile my code.

you can also use openbox with xfcre if you like tle script etc.

on all of those linux distro i have tried Compton is a must have.

How is GNOME3 usable?

He uses (or at least used to) Fedora and GNOME, no one cares.
Use whatever you want.

>Torvalds may use Gnome, but he's never liked the Gnome 3.x family much.
Did you even read the article?

Looks like the singer for Cathedral with fake tits.

Not sure if they're fake. The bra is obviously strapped on tight and might be filled at the bottom and the extruding bands are covered by her hair. In the topless pics her boobs look different and no surgical scar is visible.

I don't blame him. Ricing is fucking boring and tedious.

I use Gnome 3 and it is the best distro which just wreks. AMA

that's the first time I've seen unity that I've wanted to copy

I mean DE. I use Fedora as you can see.

>Linux torvalds
>Linux
stopped reading here

Reminder that Linus only uses a web browser and a terminal. Why should I even care what he uses?

Both Fedora and GNOME 3 suck.

What gnome theme you are using?

>Both Fedora and GNOME 3 suck.
Literally this.

>However, getting that hardware to work and play well with the Gnome desktop isn't easy. As Torvalds explained in another post, it "has the same resolution as my desktop, but apparently because the laptop screen is smaller, Gnome seems to decide on its own that I need an automatic scaling factor of 2, which blows up all the stupid things (window decorations, icons etc) to a ridiculous degree".
Yeah, it just werks.. there it is, the Linux creator himself struggling with basic things. Fucking freetards.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_(operating_system)

Same fag

Windows doesn't even allow you to adjust the scaling factor properly though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OP_(is_a_faggot)

atleast someone else saw this shit

>in the topless pics
you know what to do

Dope