/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Previously trolled on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/133385/getting-system-program-problem-detected-pops-up-regularly-after-upgrade/369297
ubuntu-mate.community/t/system-program-problem-detected-16-04-lts/5815/2
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/htitle/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant
gist.github.com/anonymous/113f20082d6aa1cf81434743d6653448
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is Elementary any good nowadays?

No. Nothing Ubuntu/Debian related is worth using.

Fair enough. Is there anything in the same category - easy to install, easy to use, just werks, made for retards, etc. - that *is* worth using?

There are only three "Debuntu" distributions I am able to tolerate: Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, and Xubuntu.

try macOS

>made for retards
>linux
pick one

>made for retards
Debian/Ubuntu and the operating systems derived from them.

I'm asking for a relative. My computer is already sorted out.

What does /fglt/ think of void linux? Looks pretty hipster to me.

I'm trying to compile cantata but I'm getting stuck when running make
[ 0%] Built target qtiocompressor
[ 1%] Built target support-core
[ 1%] Building CXX object 3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/backends/udisks2/udisksdevice.cpp.o
[ 11%] Built target support
[ 11%] Building CXX object 3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/backends/udisks2/udisksblock.cpp.o
In file included from /home/norbert/.git_repos/cantata/3rdparty/solid-lite/backends/udisks2/udisksopticaldisc.h:27:0,
from /home/norbert/.git_repos/cantata/3rdparty/solid-lite/backends/udisks2/udisksdevice.cpp:27:
/home/norbert/.git_repos/cantata/3rdparty/solid-lite/backends/udisks2/../shared/udevqt.h:31:21: fatal error: libudev.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/build.make:1246: recipe for target '3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/backends/udisks2/udisksdevice.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/backends/udisks2/udisksdevice.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 12%] Built target cantata-tags
lconvert: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/lconvert': No such file or directory
po/CMakeFiles/translations.dir/build.make:57: recipe for target 'translations' failed
make[2]: *** [translations] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:323: recipe for target 'po/CMakeFiles/translations.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [po/CMakeFiles/translations.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:250: recipe for target '3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:149: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

It seems like the perfect distro to recommend to normies that are used to mac and may be intimidated by other distros.

meh

Nevermind, we good.

how do regex tests work in bash?

[[ "-h" =~ -h|-? ]] && echo 1
[[ "-o" =~ -h|-? ]] && echo 1
give both 1

What would be more stable/secure for everyday use and java development in spare time on a thinkpad laptop? Debian or arch?

Hipster shit

Arch or Gentoo (preferably Gentoo).

Whats the difference? I know that arch repositories are constantly updated.

Gentoo allows the user to remove dependencies for features in packages that you won't use. Arch, being a binary distribution, includes a lot of bloat sitting around on your system that will never be used.

With Gentoo, you get a much more lean, efficient system than you could ever get with Arch.

While true, it doesn't matter for any of the requirements given.

>stability
Again, you have a lean, efficient system that is specifically tailored to your hardware rather than using one-size-fits-all kernels and software which would increase the load and cause more instability.

>security
Source-based distributions increase security because an attacker must guess what features you have installed. A binary distribution with generic packages is the same for everyone and thus, the same attacks will work on everyone.

>you have a lean, efficient system that is specifically tailored to your hardware

Only if you invest the time to tailor it to your hardware. I have no idea why you think this would be a given for someone who wants
>everyday use and java development in spare time

>Source-based distributions increase security because an attacker must guess what features you have installed.
How's the attacker gonna reach his PC behind his router in the first place?
Also needs time investment to decide which features aren't needed, and the gain from it isn't as great as you make it sound.

>lean, efficient system that is specifically tailored to your hardware rather than using one-size-fits-all kernels and software which would increase the load
Gotta get those 0,5% performance boosts.

>cause more instability.
Gotta enjoy that insignificant, placebo-level effect.

Hey, /fglt/, I need some help. I updated my debian unstable partition yesterday night and today, it seems that it won't load the GUI. It just stays there in a black screen.

I checked Xorg log and it seems to be loading nouveau modules for some reason, when I have the nvidia driver installed. I tried purging the nvidia driver and reinstalling, but that didn't work. halp

What's up with Funtoo? Should I assume, since you faggots keep recommending Gentoo all the time, that Funtoo is either a piece of shit or dead?

>Gentoo takes more time than other distributions
This meme again. After the initial setup of Gentoo, I would argue that due to the lack of problems caused by the over-engineering of the mainstream distributions, Gentoo offers a better daily desktop experience.

>How's the attacker gonna reach his PC behind his router in the first place?
He didn't say anything specific to where he would be on a network you idiot. The second he connects to a campus network or some public wifi, this will be of an advantage.

>Gotta get those 0,5% performance boosts.
>Gotta enjoy that insignificant, placebo-level effect.
Debuntu babby detected

is there a flag or something I can use to have the terminal exit once a command is run?

Perhaps something in combination with nohup?

command; exit

I'm trying to setup a backup drive to automatically boot when my main drive is disconnected or unbootable. I've copied the drive and efi partitions using rsync to the backup drive. The only problem is that the grub.cfg entries point to the original drive's UUIDs and not the UUIDs on the backup drive. I can change it manually and exclude /boot from rsync so that it's not overwritten but the backup drive won't stay in sync with newer kernels that I install.

What is the best way to keep my backup drive in sync with my main drive and bootable?

>lack of problems caused by the over-engineering of the mainstream distributions
Which problems are you referring to?

>This meme again. After the initial setup
You need to recompile packages for updates. You're doing regular updates right?

>this will be of an advantage.
But still be irrelevant in comparison of actually configuring your system securely.

command; exit

>Which problems are you referring to?
Gee, let's see. Maybe the same highly visible bugs that all of the Ubuntu distributions have suffered from since 2012? Maybe Apport crashing whenever there are reports in /var/crash resulting in tons of pop-ups upon reaching the desktop at boot? More features engineering means more room for bugs, and unfortunately, this is something that all of the Debuntu distributions suffer from.

>You need to recompile packages for updates.
Oh wow, once every two weeks, you need to emerge @world in a terminal before bed.

>But still be irrelevant in comparison of actually configuring your system securely.
Configuring two of the same binary-based distribution on two machines means that you have two machines with the same security features, same versions of all software, and same security holes. Gentoo can be configured in the same way, and add an additional layer of obscurity with essentially no additional effort than custom useflag configuration.

I've been trying to install icon packs on Arch for the past few hours but they just keep using the shitty fallback icons. Packs that do it are:
>Arc
>Numix + Numix_light
Plus a couple more I can't be bothered listing.
I've tried running gtk-update-icon-cache in the terminal but this shit just won't work. I've tried GNOME, GNOME Classic, GNOME Wayland and Budgie desktop. Any help is welcome.

>highly visible bugs
Like? I've yet to see any.

> before bed.
I don't let my system keep running while I sleep.

>additional layer of obscurity
You'd get more security from using things like hardening flags.

>I don't see any
For starters, how about you read the next sentence in the post you're replying to? Oh wait, you chose to ignore it because it still exists in all versions of 16.04 and has first appeared in 12.04, and hasn't been patched. This is extremely visible and shows that the devs don't give a fuck about user experience. Imagine installing Xubuntu on someone's laptop as their first distro, and 8 "SYSTEM PROBLEM DETECTED" windows pop up whenever they restart.

>I don't let my system keep running while I sleep.
So you do it at another time then, genius. Does your system stop whenever you have a terminal open?

>You'd get more security
Okay.

>Oh wait, you chose to ignore it
No, I'm telling you I've never seen such a problem.

Here's a post from 2012: askubuntu.com/questions/133385/getting-system-program-problem-detected-pops-up-regularly-after-upgrade/369297

Here's one from 2016: ubuntu-mate.community/t/system-program-problem-detected-16-04-lts/5815/2

This has happened on several computers I've had various versions of Ubuntu installed on. The only permanent solution is to disable Apport.

Seems like an Apport problem. How is that related to binary distributions?

My post specifically said:
>over-engineering of the mainstream distributions
which this Apport problem is a clear example of. Again, more engineering and bloat means more potential for problems, and as such, a problem like this wouldn't exist in Gentoo.

Why is Chromium so much faster on Ubuntu? Firefox always hangs and I have to reload every site three times. Any tips?

Try firefox dev branch or dev edition.

That's not over-engineering, that's a shitty package.

Reset your firefox profile, no such problems here.

Why the fuck is it so painful to make a Linux persistent USB that actually saves changes and retains files when I restart? I've tried so many methods, different ISO installers, yet nothing actually fucking retains my data in between use. Why? Am I doing something wrong, Sup Forums?

Tried on Windows:
UNetBootIn
Rufus
Universal USB installer

Tried on Linux:
using dd to manually install an .iso, then mkpart primary, but the partition won't even fucking show up on fdisk

Using Gpart on Ubuntu

Use something dedicated for that, like porteus or puppy.

Porteus and Puppy are Linux distros - I want a means of installing my own Linux distro that can actually retain data and settings in between use.

just install linux normally to the usb drive

I know. They are not designed for that.

Is it possible to not use the titlebar from GTK? This option exists in Chromium, but I could not find it in firefox. Thanks.

This add-on is the easiest/best solution I've found. It'll remove the titlebar when the window is maximized. It says it's discontinued, but it still works perfectly fine for me.

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/htitle/

hi! do you guys know of any good distros to switch to for curious distro hopping from arch linux for 2 years

i need something practical for every day

Ich möchte nur einmal kurz etwas einwerfen. Was sie als Linux bezeichnen ist in Warheit GNU/Linux, oder wie ich es vor kurzem zu bezeichen begonnen habe, GNU plus Linux. Linux an sich ist kein Betriebssystem, sondern eine weitere freie Komponente eines voll Funktionsfähigen GNU Systems, welches durch die GNU corelibs, shell utilities und andere wichtige System Komponente nützlich gemacht wird und ein Betriebssystem ist, wie es durch das POSIX definiert ist.

Viele Computer Nutzer benutzen eine modifizierte Version des GNU Systems jeden Tag ohne es zu bemerken. Durch eine eigenartige Wendung wird die Version von GNU, die heute weit verbreitet ist, oft Linux genannt und viele der Nutzer sind sich nicht bewusst, dass es eigentlich das GNU System ist, welches von dem GNU Projekt entwickelt wurde.

Es existiert wirklich ein Linux, und diese Leute benutzen es, jedoch handelt es sich dabei nur um einen Teil ihres Systems. Linux ist ein Kernel: das Programm im System welches die durch die Maschine bereitgestellten Ressourcen an andere laufende Programme verteilt. Der Kernel ist ein essentieller Teil eines Betriebssystems,aber ohne den Rest des Systems nutzlos; er kann nur in Zusammenarbeit mit dem Rest des Systems funktionieren. Linux wird für gewöhnlich in Kombination mit dem GNU Betriebssystem verwendet: Das ganze System ist eigentlich GNU mit dem Linux Kernel, oder GNU/Linux. Alle so genannten Linux Distributionen sind in Warheit Distributionen von GNU/LINUX!

fedora is the best distro for that m8

I'm using ubuntu minimal install so I'm having a problem connecting to the internet via wifi. I've tried wicd but the connection wasn't very stable so now I'm trying to use wpa_supplicant by looking at this page from the arch wiki:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant

However, every time I use this method it involves typing the wpa_supplicant command, using wpa_cli and then finally using dhclient.

Is there a way I can automate the wpa_supplicant connection process so I don't have to type so much every time I need to connect to wifi?

lösch das

>fedora
are u sure? is this guy just shitposting?

Thanks, this works.

wot? it just werks.

Currently installing Ubuntu minimal on my latitude. What's some good GNU/Linux essentials? Hoping to learn to code shit

Linux newbie here. I have a laptop which I'll use to dev (CS degree), currently using Mint, what should I eventually change to and when? I don't want an unstable system that can "fuck up" when I have assigments to do so no Arch or Gentoo please.

fedora works well for devs and just works along with having up to date packages

Can you guys recommend a book that covers linux. Moreso on the system administration side. Most of what I've found are good as references but not so much to learn from. Things like partitioning, filesystems, init, daemons, networking, network storage, security, access control, monitoring, RAID and backup. That kind of stuff.

I got really interested after installing Arch recently and mucking around the wiki.

Unrelated I've been looking to learn more about audio and video. Formats, encoding, and so forth. Thanks

I've been looking into Manjaro, what do you think about it vs Fedora?

Debian is a natural evolution from using Ubuntu or Mint. I did it that way and never looked back.

Debian Testing and Sid are great.

its an easy to install arch with 2 week delayed packages unless you're on testing repo. it still needs upkeep like arch does even if it's easier to use with some gui stuff out of the box. those older packages are a security issue and manjaro brings in its own bugs that arch wouldn't have.

Partitioning linux on a 64gb usd.

How much do I allocate for the swap partition? It's my understanding it should be more than the computers ram, but the computer has 8gb of ram; is 2-4gb good?

If I put the /home on a seperate partition so that I can change the linux os later (I believe that's how that works, if not correct me please), should I equally split it in half with the partition holding /?

Xubuntu LTS by the way

hibernation requires a swap as big as the ram you're using

without hibernation it depends
some people say you need no swap
I think that causes issues in certain cases

having a 4gb swap partition would work for 8gb of ram

I will, in the near future, start to work as informatics technician, to install and fix computers. In this function, it's high probable I will need to install proprietary operating systems on the clients' computers. Maybe gratis-ware as Windows 10, maybe pirated Windows 8.1. How to continue to live after doing this?

install gentoo as penance

how do i use external hdd on debian? its not werking

Provide more information
External HDD's should work the way they work anywhere else

RX 460 Open Source Drivers?

I'm currently running Manjaro with kernel 4.7, and I want to know if 4.7 has good support for the RX 460. Does anybody have experience with this card on Linux? I'm considering ordering a couple of them online for $90 each. If you have used this card with Linux, could you let me know how loud the fan runs, and whether you experience any crashes or problems in common desktops such as KDE, Unity, and GNOME?

i plug it in and there is no change or visible way to access it

On my PC or the client ones?

LinuxLive USB Creator?

So, guys these are the detailed specs from my new computer when i had xubuntu installed

gist.github.com/anonymous/113f20082d6aa1cf81434743d6653448

i tried install various flavours of Linux (xubuntu, antergos, manjaro, ) but the computer is always freezing no matter what, and the solution is a hard reset . the problem is : AMD drivers once again

any way to solve this?

Im trying to steal this. How do I make my screenfetch look like this?

Install plank and the rest of the stuff the screenfetch says.

Ubuntu flavors. Don't let anybody meme you to death this board is technology hipsters.

Thanks user, much appreciated. Im almost done installing the things it mentions, now to get the riced screenfetch

Is there anyway to fix the gtk+ compatibility issues with ff 48?

Install GNOME-core, arc-dark and flataboulus theme

What issues?

anyone?

It doesn't seem to recognize gtk+, and ignores the theme. I'm referring to the new tab button, and the scroll bar. Pcmanfm doesn't have any problems for contrast.

Are you sure your theme has support for gtk3? Is your pcmanfm gtk3?

By the way, it obeys my gtk3 theme.

damn

Already did. Thanks for the advice though. Now I have a pretty damn aesthetic installation

what are you using?

Debian halp needed. I have some hardware I want to run on Debian stretch (i.e. testing)..only catch is once stretch becomes stable I'd like to keep at that way. In otherwords..I want to be on the stable branch come 2017 when 'stretch' is stable.

Is it possible to do that? Will that happen automatically or is there anything I have to do? Thx.

breeze-dark in plasma 5, it has a gtk2/3 theme to match the kde theme.

When changing the repos where you would replace jessie with testing you would instead put stretch.

s/Warheit/Wahrheit/g

That's not screenfetch, that's neofetch.

Ah! Ok great thanks.

I fixed it by installing oomox and making a custom gtk2/3 theme. Firefox is obeying nicely. Previously I was using lxappearance as my theme setter.

How do I get Reddit Enhancement Suite to run on chromium? It used to work before perfectly fine but now it says that it's outdated and I don't have the right browser to install it...I'm running Chromium 52

>inb4 leddit
idc I only browse like 1 or 2 subs

Is there anyway to install amdgpu-pro on Neon? Right now the install script says "Unsupported OS" even though neon is similar enough to ubuntu that it should work. Some people have gotten it to install on mint and elementary by just editing a few words in the script. Has anyone done this with neon? Already googled and I can't find anything.

new to linux here. i was having some trouble deciding between distros for my new pc build that ill put together tomorrow. i finally decided on xubuntu

what do you guys think of xubuntu for a new linux user?

Xubuntu is fine but I like Ubuntu MATE better

What's the kernel version of Neon? AMDGPU supports only 4.7+