Mozilla's Servo

Future is here Sup Forumstards
servo.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u0hYIRQRiws
servo.org/bhtml-newtab/webrender-demos/evil_ad/physics/with-ad.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>not an .io domain

This. It's been in development for years and only recently have they made a demo. While it does render things faster than Gecko it can't really handle anything except for simple HTML and CSS.

so it's firefox copycatting chrome again

so e10s is dead now or what? lmao get your shit together mozilla

Servo is being developed side-by-side with Firefox. There's no public plan to replace gecko with servo but that's probably going to be the eventual plan. Right now they're using servo to build browser components in Rust and they want to incorporate those components into firefox and/or gecko over time.

Servo has always been nothing but a research project.

>lmao

Where do you think you are?

Will it be slow as shit like Firefucks?

>no windows build even though 95% of all users want that
>funney doge maymay on download page
>code of conduct ultracancer mentioned of front page
Inb4 hurr "it's just a preview"

It's been proven to be faster than any existing browser. It's the only one thought and built from the ground up to take full advantage of parallelism and GPU processing.

>>no windows build even though 95% of all users want that

Maybe 95% of Sup Forums. In the development world, people using windows are much less than that.

>>funney doge maymay on download page
>>code of conduct ultracancer mentioned of front page

Such is life in San Francisco.

>Inb4 hurr "it's just a preview"

That's what it is.

You mean Gecko, right? Its not a fucking browser; its a rendering engine.

>Windows build coming soon

AHHAHHAHHHAA

No real programmers use Windows.

>no windows build even though 95% of all users want that
It's for developers you retard. No one uses Windows for serious development.

>no windows version
>no android apk

Into The Trash It Goes!

The windows build is bugged IIRC. The entire project is like a pre-alpha, none of this is intended for end users

get off Sup Forums this is a Linux board.

No tech professionals use Windows.

>No one uses Windows for serious development.
Unless your developing software to run natively on Windows.

go back to Sup Forums frog supremacist

>two and a half cores to render one webpage
mozilla proves yet again they can't code

No one writes new desktop software now. It's all mobile and web.

Good thing I learned nodejs.

>surprised that a parallelized DOM rendering proof-of-concept is parallelized

Much of the CPU is utilized depends on how much content is on the page and whether it can be divided among several cores. Servo is intended to utilize many cores to render things faster. It also has an experimental backend that can use a GPU for rendering.

How much of the CPU is utilized*

>rust
into the trash it goes

It's using almost everything, not just splitting things. Like, half of my i5 went into rendering one webpage.

>complaining that software is utilizing the hardware you paid for

Yup, you're a mac user.

Yeah but it shouldn't have to occupy everything. Even when I wasn't loading any page my CPU was going crazy.

Jesus, you are one dumb motherfucker. Higher CPU usage = more heat, less room for other apps, battery drain and fan noise. I'm not complaining that it's parallelizing tasks, I'm complaining that it's using up a whole core.

This is basically a pre-alpha build. Servo is nowhere close to finished, it's even got unstable builds.

it's barely even got unstable builds.*

sorry tired

Chrome does the same thing you retard.

I understand

No shit, it parallelizes? Learn to read, dumbfuck, parallelization = good, high cpu usage = bad. You are proving how dumb you are.

>room for apps

No, YOU are too stupid to realize how dumb your complaining really is.

>Higher CPU usage = more heat
For the fraction of a second it takes to load. You're still using the same power (actually less, see below). So on average over a second it is actually putting out less heat than the single threaded one.

>less room for other apps
You OS should be able to handle this just fine. It has scheduling for a reason.

>battery drain

Actually they proved that it uses less power and by extension battery. Go look it up.

If your shitty toaster cant handle to run its processor on full, maybe you need to scale the governor back.

>buy a mac
>cant even use it to its potential without it getting china syndrome

Good job.

Fucking christ, get off this board if you're this tech illiterate.

>For the fraction of a second it takes to load
It was like this for 5 seconds, and then proceeded to stay at 100% while not even doing anything. A Chrome process barely scrapes 25% when loading a resource heavy page.

>You OS should be able to handle this just fine. It has scheduling for a reason.

Oh, so I can just run huge IntelliJ projects, multiple Games, different browsers on a thin laptop at the same time and not have to worry because my OS can schedule it?

>Actually they proved that it uses less power and by extension battery. Go look it up.

No, if it uses more CPU, it uses more power, period.

>If your shitty toaster cant handle to run its processor on full, maybe you need to scale the governor back.

If you can't optimize your shit, it's not worth running on a thin notebook machine.

>Good job.

You sound like a buttblasted windows PCMR preteen.

>Gonk

>n proceeded to stay at 100% while not even doing anything

And yet you didn't mention that until now. I believe you.

>No, if it uses more CPU, it uses more power, period.

I'm sorry, but modern CPUs are more complicated than that. If it uses 100% for 5 seconds or 50% for 10 seconds, it will use less power in the former. Even if you use more processor time, if its all at once it may be less power per time. There's a lot of variables that go into this.

>Oh, so I can just run huge IntelliJ projects, multiple Games, different browsers on a thin laptop at the same time and not have to worry because my OS can schedule it?

I'm not even gonna bother with the rest of your poorly though out shit. You can stawman all you want if it makes you feel better.

>proceed with low-tier mac jokes and strawmen and 'retard' insults
>offended and pussies out when one of his points gets refuted
You got my point regarding the CPU and app usage, right?
Each Chrome helper process for me has idled at around 0.2% with loads of tabs and when loading a page it generally takes 25% for a single second, then goes back to normal. This thing stays at 100% and goes way up to 250% when rendering a single page.

>modern CPUs are more complicated than that
This isn't complicated at all. A sink will leak 20 liters at a 5 ml stream per hour and a 50 ml second stream for 10 seconds will only leak 0.5 liters.

so, what browser do (you) use ?

>Unless your developing software to run natively on Windows.
Only if you only care about running your software only on Windows
Every cross platform project cross compiles their Windows binaries on *nix

too late

>what is race to idle

It doesn't idle at all, it stays at 100% after rendering. Even chrome uses 1/10 of the processing power to render a page in similar speeds.

Just log into your Sup Forums gold account by posting your
Name
Address
Credit/Debit card number
Email address
Password

Don't worry, the post will automatically be hidden!

>Every cross platform project cross compiles their Windows binaries on *nix
Care to list these projects? Even small cli shit like curl comes with visual studio project files. I build Chromium on Windows in VS. I've never come across any cross platform software more than 10 Windows users care about not able to be build via VS.

Palememe

firecocks nAYYtly

>>offended
Not at all.

> and pussies out when one of his points gets refuted

More like I'm too lazy to argue with an imbecile with whom I have no vested interest. I've spent time actually coding, reading the intel programmer manual, etc. You show so much ignorance in this matter that it is apparent that you chose to be that way. I'm all fine with banter, but this is just tedious.

>This thing stays at 100%
Which sounds like a bug. It idles 0% for me and never passes 20% usage on any of my cores. Maybe you should report it instead of wanking your dick on Sup Forums.

>This isn't complicated at all.
Ignorance is truly bliss, isn't it?

The Rust Code of Conduct
Conduct

We are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of level of experience, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, personal appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, religion, nationality, or other similar characteristic.
On IRC, please avoid using overtly sexual nicknames or other nicknames that might detract from a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all.
Please be kind and courteous. There’s no need to be mean or rude.
Respect that people have differences of opinion and that every design or implementation choice carries a trade-off and numerous costs. There is seldom a right answer.
Please keep unstructured critique to a minimum. If you have solid ideas you want to experiment with, make a fork and see how it works.
We will exclude you from interaction if you insult, demean or harass anyone. That is not welcome behaviour. We interpret the term “harassment” as including the definition in the Citizen Code of Conduct; if you have any lack of clarity about what might be included in that concept, please read their definition. In particular, we don’t tolerate behavior that excludes people in socially marginalized groups.
Private harassment is also unacceptable. No matter who you are, if you feel you have been or are being harassed or made uncomfortable by a community member, please contact one of the channel ops or any of the Rust moderation team immediately. Whether you’re a regular contributor or a newcomer, we care about making this community a safe place for you and we’ve got your back.
Likewise any spamming, trolling, flaming, baiting or other attention-stealing behaviour is not welcome.

Bernard Delcroix
3 Rue Sarrette, 75000 Paris
5134 4989 9003 1744
[email protected]
travailledemerde75000

Bien, bien, sens la puissance du juif te couler dans le dos...

So is this like a new browser?

>I like in a day and age that has this

No scroll bar. Mousewheel does nothing, No copy paste. No keybinds. Freezes frequently.

Experimental highly-parallelized browser in rust
By cuckzilla ofc

Still don't have Sup Forums pass !

rendering engine. It will download pages slow and will suck ass as a browser (because the part that is doing that is shitty js code thrown together so you dont have to load pages off of the disk). This build is intended to test pages to see if it renders them properly.

Its not a fucking browser. There is no reason to implement that stuff for this demo.

>technology board
>so how do i download this new browser

:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)

Welcome to Sup Forums - Tech Support, where we only know now to rice and meme

>Oh, so I can just run huge IntelliJ projects, multiple Games, different browsers on a thin laptop at the same time and not have to worry because my OS can schedule it?

do you have any idea how processors work?

It's a slow piece of shit, that only works for simple stuff, and then it fail to even do that. kek

After offering developers the choice between OSX, Windows and Linux computers we evaluated developer performance by system choice:
Generally, developers who chose OSX perform marginally better compared to Windows users, with Linux users being significantly worse.

We found out that:

100% of Linux users were male.
65% of all employees who were put on a pip and consequently got fired were Linux users.
70% of all serious 3 strike system warnings are handed out to Linux users.
2% of team leads and managers use Linux.
Linux users have twice the amount of sick leave on average.
Linux users make 25% more complaints to HR compared to average.
It's nearly twice as likely to receive a complaint about a Linux user compared to the average employee.

>mozilla
in to le trash it goes

>Firefox
>slow
Time to upgrade to more than 2GB RAM

>firefox copycatting chrome

wouldn't quite say that. there is some definite potential performance increases available in the renderer with a complete overhaul like this.

> youtube.com/watch?v=u0hYIRQRiws

Why isn't Firefox using it if it is so great?

>Where do you think you are?
A shitty technology board on a Chinese cartoon website.

Because it's not finished yet?

>Why don't we just use flying cars if they're so convenient?

> I've spent time actually coding
WOW! you spent time coding??? ON A TECHNOLOGY BOARD????? Oh geez, you are one narcissistic autist if you think you're the only here who actually knows how to code. Hint: I work as a software dev and not as a professional basement dweller with a ph.d in shitposting/masturbating myself/macbashing on Sup Forums
jesus christ the irony,
> Maybe you should report it instead of wanking your dick
I'm not motivated enough to report something like this to cuckzilla which already has over 1000 github issues on their repo.

>Ignorance is truly bliss, isn't it?
For you

How exactly is the important? Seems like Mozilla is just wasting money as always.

Explain yourself?

66 frames per second on the evil monkey demo.
servo.org/bhtml-newtab/webrender-demos/evil_ad/physics/with-ad.html
not_bad.jpg

>damage control

>I work as a software dev

I weep for your clients.

>Rust
>fast

>Replying to a post from an hour ago
>Ever posting like you just did

>being this assblasted

Nobody cares about your javascript skills, faggot.

Why? Because I'm not wrong when I say this shit uses massive amount of CPU compared to Chrome. Just like other trash from Mozilla.

>having a life
>not spending all your time on Sup Forums spamming the Update button for replies

>javascript
I'm not cucked like you, faggot

Heh, so what what software do you work on for a living?

>Heh

>io domain
Faggot

>this post is totally not avoiding the question
>I'm just cool and edgy guys

Skiddy confirmed

>dubs

Why do you care? Autismo just wants to enter a pissing contest, I'm not even going to bother listing my shit. It's irrelevant to the topic.

I believe he was employing this new fangled thing called irony

>I'm not even going to bother listing my shit.

tl;dr unemployable

>SJW COC
yea no.... dropped

chrome is almost as fast fps, but not near as smooth.
firefox is quite a bit slower.
both ff and chrome are hw accel enabled on amd 7800 apu.

I work as a software engineer, how about you?

So you said. Yet you can't provide me anything that you actually engineer, other than mounds of bullshit.

The only thing that bothers me more than the CoC bandwagon (that'll probably die out soon anyways) is faggots like you running from everything even remotely related to Rust because of it.

If Rust has any actual use-cases I think it'd be a browser, like this. Maybe I'll try it when it's been released for a while, I don't want to deal with an unstable browser for common personal use.

Why the fuck do I need to prove it to you? You're unemployed for fucks sake.

So, which browser do you use then?

Lynx

So is it actually any good? Cant test it, but if its better than the current slow fucking piece of shit firefox is right now, then its a major improvement. Only using firefox for non-video, non-js heavy and non-html5 websites because it feels more comfortable than chrome.

>can't render anything

If you say so. Whatever glorified configurations your doing in your high level language isn't what I'd call engineering. You've already demonstrated to me that you have no knowledge of the underlying hardware.

Keep replying though.