C# or Java as a first language? And why?

C# or Java as a first language? And why?

I read that C# is a more well-designed language than Java, but Java has a greater amount of study material and documentation, including books that focus on Computer Science. Which one do you recommend?

c#

Recommending Caml.
It one of the easiest if you never coded before.

i recommend starting with hindi

In my experience I've rarely seen C# as a desired skill, mainly java but if you learn well really well it won't be that hard learning the other.

C# = fantastic language, bloatware/pajeet IDE
java = ehh language, ehh IDE

enjoy your pajeet coworkers user

Microsoft is arguably worse than Oracle patent-wise. (inb4 Android API fiasco, Microsoft is openly enemy of free software)

C# is probably better language wise, Java is probably better in library availability.

Beware of using C# as Microsoft will tie this to Windows lock-in one way or the other. Java is "true" multi-platform, but Oracle is a bitch.

Something like C, C++, Rust or Go is better.

Neither, only pajeets use these shitty languages.
Start with Scheme by reading SICP.

Both have good documentation and are fairly similar in syntax so should be easy to switch between either.

The real question is what do you want to program? If you want to eventually use Microsoft frameworks like .NET stick to C#, but if you want to try something like Android development then learn Java. Also if you use IDE's, would you prefer Visual Studio (C# support) or IntelliJ (Java)?

Neither.
Learn a function lang to learn how to design programs and this will help you learn others far easier, and will be better for marketing yourself to employers even when you don't know everything they are asking.
Scheme, is good, although htdp 2e gives some good instruction for learning basic functional concepts with a learning language.

Basically, say you only know Scheme, you can teach yourself and do projects in 2 or three other langs, and easily land a job that asks for 5 or 6. (no one knows this many, but if they think you can learn, they will help and hire you)

>t. harvard professors who've never written a single line of commercial code

>commercial code
Aka pajeetware. There is a good reason why FOSS tends to be of much higher quality in most cases.
Thank you for calling me something as honourable however.

Scheme, Python or Java

honestly cannot imagine how dumb you have to be to post this
the koolaid is strong in you padawan

Java is just better

Why do you think that?

>earning a living = bad
>unpaid foss drone = good

I've used both and C#/VB.NET is far better than Java, plus it has the advantage of being easy to use in Visual Studio, the best IDE out there.

Not sure how good Microsoft's multi-platform support is though so for that kind of software Java probably makes more sense.

I recommend starting with plain old C.

>>earning a living = bad
Nah, earning a living is not bad. However making pajeet software and tricking dumb people into using it is bad.

I like your logic.

Thank you user, you are very kind :3

Yes, they'll totally never open source their compiler and runtime and port to any other platforms.

L'ancien français.

Python.

Neither, Python or C

Git gud or get out

>They totally "open sourced" it though!
>It's not like they are dependent on their shitty syscalls and Windows functions to work properly
Try getting that shit running on any other platform than Windows.

I'll be waiting.