This is the Edimax EW-7811Un. It's $9

This is the Edimax EW-7811Un. It's $9.

Does anyone own it? How does it perform? Does it have good range?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E86EFY4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_63D2xbF8QD233
lejosnews.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/comparing-wifi-adapters/
everbuying.net/product1128608.html
github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>How does it perform?
Probably poorly
>Does it have good range?
Definitely not

since its basically got no antenna, pretty poorly unless your fairly close to a router.

Whitelabel Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle Adapter for PC with IVT BlueSoliel, Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver For Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 / Vista - Plug and Play on Win 7 and above amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E86EFY4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_63D2xbF8QD233

This shit is fine for a couple meters on a straight line.

close to a router.

Explain

>since its basically got no antenna

I think he means it's bluetooth and not wifi

I have one

it's shit

Had one and it doesn't connect despite being able to see my router.

I bought a chink BT adapater before.
drivers were a hassle, I would rather spend $10-15 bucks and get something that actually works with windows and gets recognised right away.

Same issue with those cheap knockoffs of the wireless adapter for the xbox controller, legit MS ones work 100% of the time, chink ones need driver reinstalls all the time.

Op here, I'm currently using an app called EasyTether to receive wifi on my PC with a dead wifi card (I can't replace it for reasons)

Honestly, the easytether setup I've got going disconnects under heavy loading/processing (ADB/P Packets Too Much To Handle, My phone suddenly shutting down, Random disconnects that require me to plug out and plugin the USB to my phone or pc)

For $8, I surely won't get an experience as bad as that, right? Especially when the majority of recent reviews are favorable

in that case it would be much better than your current setup

Not sure if it's the exact same model number, but I have one and actually didn't have any problems with it. You should be fine for what you're looking to do.

It's called access point…

I have one it works as a $9 should. Yes I would buy it again.

I have been using it 2 years now. Works great. Range is at least throughout a average sized house. Speed is always good and never dips or drops. Unless you need to DL files at more than 54mbps its good for the price

I have one.
It works. It has lousy range but otherwise it works fine.
If my memory serves me right it got hotter than I expected, but this never manifested as anything more than a warm wifi adapter. Go for it OP.

I had one and the signal kept dropping out on me. Was a piece of shit really. I'm not sure what OS you're using it on, but if you want a dongle for the same price, get the CanaKit wifi dongle. It was made for the Rasberry pi, but it works on everything I've tried it on.

I have it and use it for a raspberry pi. It works fine and has plenty of range but it only supports 2.4GHz, not 5GHz

I got this for $3, no noticeable difference between my laptop's old Wi-Fi card and this. Hell, my laptop doesn't even have an mPCIe Wi-Fi card anymore. I just keep this plugged in.

whoops

Literally ordered one from newegg a few hours ago, I found this review
lejosnews.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/comparing-wifi-adapters/

I came to say exactly this I use one for my RaspberryPi, I also used it on my desktop as a temporary solution.. It works decently but its small size is its #1 feature.

The smaller the wireless adapter, the shittier it is. Don't do it.

My Raspberry Pi has basically no antenna and its onboard wifi works just fine

No raspberry pi has wifi onboard

3b does

I have it. It's fucking shit. Like, it takes my wifi down for every other device I own. I don't know how, but it does.

I bought this for $1.20
Still on the mail

link

everbuying.net/product1128608.html
Drops to $1.20 when you add the mobile site discount and the points you get for creating an account, adding a profile picture and confirming your mail

>mobile site discount and the points you get for creating an account, adding a profile picture and confirming your mail
It's not even worth it anymore

I have one and it's so-so in winblows. For Linux you have to get the firmware or it will be really sketchy but even after that it can still be a little flaky.

It's worked fine out of the box and never had a problem on Linux for me

i'm using it for my raspbery pi, it's fine

I have it its fucking garbage. The driver in the linux kernel is broken as fuck and causes it to drop connection requiring you to unplug it and plug it back in. The driver on the Realtek site is for some ancient kernel version so I had to rely on some other person to fix it. github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes

I don't know why it has such high reviews and they tout linux support maybe I just got a bad revision. Still I wouldn't risk it I would get something with an atheros chipset.

I liked the part where neither of you guys gave a distro.

I own one. It has meh range and gets hot but it's main issue is that it's drivers for windows are really bad if you intend to use anything less than Windows 7 [from 7 onwards it had realtek updated drivers that got rid of the bullshit XP issues]. XP support is unstable as it can freeze up easily from it's own drivers. To avoid issues you are forced to use newest realtek drivers instead of edimax ones and that cripples some of the features the box says i.e. making a hotspot out of it. In other words just use realtek drivers and DO NOT USE IT AS AN ACCESS POINT. It's broken.

Main plus is that Linux distros have it work out of the box without needing to download a driver. If you run linux it's a decent cheap solution to add 2.4 ghz wifi capability.

I don't know if it's the exact same model, but I have one that looks exactly like it. Works fine for kid's desktop 20 feet away thru 2 walls..