My dumbass Dad thinks it's worth paying $2000 for a MacBook Pro when my brother still needs to get through college...

My dumbass Dad thinks it's worth paying $2000 for a MacBook Pro when my brother still needs to get through college. Does anyone have that infographic explaining how poor of a decision buying an apple laptop is?

He's dead set on buying one even though our family is hard on cash. Please help.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/239245U-ThinkPad-T530-i5-3320M-8GB-RAM-500GB-HD-15-6-1600x900-NVIDIA-5400M-/152193377824?hash=item236f6ea620:g:Tu4AAOSwPYZU8zS~
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8X54RG8750
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Steal his money and run away.

This should be good enough.

are you jelly, OP?

Show him the specs of a lower prices laptop with equal specs

doesn't exist.

I suppose just ask him what a $2000 MacBook can do that a $500 laptop can't do????

>it's more reliable
>muh viruses

steve jobs was GREAT at his job.

>2k computer
>family is broke

Poor people always amuse me

well, seems like daddy's got the money without ripping off an arm and OP probably cries about it because he dreams about a macbook he could use to rice his loonix

>>/adv/

I have a MacBook. I fell for the meme years ago

same

Bring up compatibility. I hear people in my engineering courses bitching about how their Macs can't run a lot of course software.

In reality though you don't even need a laptop unless you're getting into some serious shit. Most people just go to the library or computer labs for their work and their laptops become bona fide social media machines. The people who I've seen use their laptops in class just use them to view the slideshows the professors are going over and take notes on paper.

That being said, there is a kernel of truth to the overblown blue/green bubble, mac cult memes on Sup Forums. A lot of students are in the Apple ecosystem and joining the Apple ecosystem does make communicating easier.

If he can afford it, your family can't be *that* hard up for cash. And if you can't make any convincing arguments against it without "this image from the internet says", you're just opposed because you don't like Apple, in which case let other people make their own fucking decisions and live with it.

Neither are really true

Depends on your field, IMO. I'm a Computer Science student and using a Mac makes things way easier since I have a UNIX-like ecosystem to run things in. I do fully agree for any engineering fields, I wouldn't go near a Mac if you're in one of those

>compatibility
Kind of a non-issue, given that it's pretty trivial to run Linux or Windows, either in a VM or on the bare metal.

>computer science student
>laptop isnt running gnu/linuks
why would you put yourself through this

I was a computer science major before switching to engineering in my third year. All our compilers for our deliverable code were windows only.
Funnily enough though, one c compiler we used was basically an outdated version of gcc in a windows wrapper, but it was just shitty enough that code wasn't portable between systems.

Yeah but the vast majority of students don't buy Macs and install or virtualize another OS. It's pretty safe to assume OPs bro doesn't give a flying fudge about parallels or anything like that or we probably wouldn't be here shitposting this thread

Call him a closet homosexual. Chances are you're right.

Do you think your father would spend all that money on a laptop without taking into consideration what other necessities he needs? I'm sure he has expandable money + what is financial aid.
Let him spend his own money, although it is a very poor decision to buy a mac.
Haha,get it? POOR?! HAHAHAHA

>1400 USD
>does not come with win10 pro
dropped

>Not immediately installing Win8.1/Linux

Enjoy your "telemetry".

>2 hours of battery life
Some people actually need to leave their parent's basement every once in a while.

Better than 2 minute battery life you get with macshit.

I had a Dell with similar specs, it does fine until you do something that taxes the CPU or fires up the discrete graphics.

Show him this

>b-b-b-ut it's Stallmanist/comunist propaganda!!!1
It's the only graphic organizer on the net that defaces Apple though.

>image.jpg

The Mac is expensive meme is long expired. I bought my 2013 Macbook Pro Retina open box for $1900 Canadian Pesos and it still out specs most of my classmates thousand dollar "gayming" PC's.

And for reference:
- Seven hours of battery life (nine with Wifi turned off)
-2800x1800 display that's comfortable on the eyes.
- 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, 2.3GHZ quad core i7
- Can dual boot GNU/Linux or Windows
- Thin and portable
- Excellent build quality

I challenge you to find a PC that matches theses parameters even in 2016.

>still out specs most of my classmates thousand dollar "gayming" PC's.

>Windows 8.1
enjoy your xbox gui

Who uses a mac to play games? Speaking for OP's father, I doubt he's going to need all these "fancy" hardware if he's just going to browse le facebook. Might as well buy an iPad

while we're on the topic of laptops, I need to get one for university for notes, studying and maybe some games like csgo and the older final fantasies

would $500 be an appropriate budget?

or does anyone know any good laptops around that price point?

keep in mind I'm in cuckanada

>What is Classic Shell

Win8.1 + Classic Shell is objectively the best windows experience.

Used high end Thinkpad/Precision/Probook.

Do people actually pay an extra $1000 for that resolution on a 15" screen?

No way.

No matter what you get, if you want to play CS or something, get something with a discrete graphics card.

You're probably best getting something off of ebay.

>mactoddlers unironically bragging about 7 hour battery life

I got a thinkpad W520 for ~300. 8GB ram, 2k Quadra, i7 and 1920x1080 resolution
I'm able to run PS2/GC games and some older games from around 2012.
It's fairly big, so if you want something smaller I'd go with the t420/430. Check out the Thinkpad general op for more information

>Extended battery

>glued sealed battery whose replacement voids your fruity toy warranty

>windows
That's why is 1K cheaper than a mbpro retina ©®™

It'll only last that long with Wifi turned off. Modern websites are a pain to load.

ebay.com/itm/239245U-ThinkPad-T530-i5-3320M-8GB-RAM-500GB-HD-15-6-1600x900-NVIDIA-5400M-/152193377824?hash=item236f6ea620:g:Tu4AAOSwPYZU8zS~

>120s
you clearly don't know macshits

>Needing to replace your batteries

Most laptops are obsolete within five years anyways, and that's also when the battery dies. Go get a job, and stop being poor.

How much of a deluded moron are you that you feel the need to make up lies to defend your fruity toys?

Your father shouldn't be paying for his son's college fees anyway

entitled brat

Just get a chromebook my dude

Damn, that's amazing. Can anything beat this, be it tablet or laptop?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8X54RG8750

Better build quality than a Mac too, things are so flimsy nowadays.

T560 with extended battery. But you won't see any coverage for that since technology is all fashion and design bullshit these days.

It's his money. He can do whatever the fuck he want's with it. Move out and let them die.

Yes, he should get a loan. I have a friend who could help him with that.

>be me, 26
>living in the Philippines
tfw I can't even afford a 150usd used laptop to start learning web dev or any programming languages that doesn't require heavy IDE

Why on earth would you keep any sort of Windows on it? Even if you're a fucking retard, you should be installing Mint.

Can you imagine Apples face when people buy this stuff?

This was me last year, including the age. I had the same laptop I arrived with in 2011 when I left, the fucking hinges were busted and the video cable was exposed. I had to wiggle the video cable to make the screen come on. Also the internet, the internet was fucking shit. I spent most of my 4 years in the Philippines stealing service from Globe and Smart then finally broke down and got 5mbit cable internet.

Life really is more fun in the Philippines but trying to buy anything tech related is shit. Dumbasses on OLX want to charge you only 25% less than they paid for something 4 years ago. Or more like their OFW family members sent them after they upgraded. Very thankful to have eBay again.

The cheapest PC that you can build will be more than enough for learning web dev. What heavy IDEs are you afraid of?

New macbooks will be released next month probably

I'm still using my phone as a wifi hotspot (GIGA50) and usable only at midnight. Have you tried TipidPC? In my current situation I can't afford to make mistakes in purchasing tech stuff.

intellij, vstudio

Ok, how longs the mac do with their extended battery?

I couldn't read most of the stuff there because I only speak English. A lot of the time I had to ask my ex girlfriend to translate posts from Symbianize when I was trying to learn how to steal internet. Most of the tech related stuff I got from CD-R King, they actually used to have some decent stuff there but it's all garbage now.

Why are you using those for learning web dev?

>Seven hours of battery life (nine with Wifi turned off)
What the fuck is the point of a laptop without wifi if it doesn't have an ethernet port?

Yup, they start monetizing free stuff there.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed your stay in this [spoiler]shitty[/spoiler] country .

I hope you convince your dad to buy a cheap alternatives.

Your dad is right. MBP is worth it.

wow, your lappy has the same battery life as my $400 Canadian Pesos throwaway lappy

I kinda miss it. I never want to get stuck in a Filipino hospital again and not have money to pay the bill or deal with random unexplained internet and power outages. I miss doing stupid stuff like trying to ride from Manila to Angeles City only using jeepneys though. Also exploring Globe's wimax network was so much fun. I also miss being able to do stupid shit on the internet without worrying about a federal agency busting my door.

Easy. The 2000$ can offer less ports, thats something a 500$ laptop cant.

Amazing, thanks

hah fuck college is a lie. get the comp and learn on your own fag. fucking stupid kids . pay your own dam fake school failure.

Tell your bro to get a fucking job faggot

>memebook that cannot cool itself properly
>dual core
>upgrades/user repairs are nearly impossible

No thanks

My windows laptops only got me through about 2 years or less when I was in college. Decided to buy a MacBook Pro and it's still working 6 years later.

it's because you spent so much money on it, and cared for it properly
buy a shitty 100$ smarphone and you will throw it around like a piece of shit, kek I can afford 10 more of these if I want to
buy a 700$ flagship and carry it around in a bubble wrap