Helping friend pick pc parts

>helping friend pick pc parts
>he insists upon a single 2TB wd blue instead of the 500gb ssd + 1TB wd black combo I suggested

>falling for SSD meme
enjoy your RMA

I guess he doesn't respect you very much.

What the fuck is WD Black, m8?

>SATA over PATA drives

dude, gtfo

>my friend is a normie lelele
If you explained the difference between HDD and SSD to your friend, you would not have this problem.

And if he refuses to listen, it is his loss.

>1tb
what is this 2007?

Not getting a hybrid

Just tell him a SSD will get him 20fps.

Buy the 2tb hybrid for 89 dollars you fucking retard.

Forgot the >

Those aren't even in the same price category you retard.
>helping friend pick a car
>he insists upon a single toyota instead of the ferrari + lamborghini combo I suggested

Normally I'd agree but he also insisted upon 64GB of ram (he thought it would make games run better). The problem wasn't the budget itself, just which parts he was willing to spend more on. To him, it made sense to go cheap on storage to get more ram. I tried to explain him out of this decision to no avail.

let him waste money on whatever he wants. doesn't seem like he'll listen to any suggestions you're going to give him.

next time say you don't know anything about pc's and never offer help again.

>64GB of ram
>no SSD

That's like putting a ferrari engine in a pinto

>ferrari engine in a pinto
I'd ride it.

>not using NVMe
>using 10 year old ssd-meme

Really? get with it, fags.

Retarded Tripfag

I'd say it's the latter. Surely OP isn't that much of a faggot to not explain yet complain.

BLACKED

More like Ferrari and Geo.

because a fucking ramdisk is faster than a ssd you retard. you just don't get what your friend wants.

But then your boot time would depend on how fast your HDD can install an OS on the ramdisk.

>what is suspend to ram

Literal retard

>he fell for the rebooting meme

There are plenty of videos demonstrating that the WD black is slower than the WD blue in a lot of use cases.

Should have recommended a SSD+ 2TB Blue

>2tb drive
>hurr i wanna give him 500GB SSD and 1TB drive combo!!
if he wants to get a 2tb drive as his single drive, space is the least of his worries for a boot drive at the moment you imbecile

I literally run
>256GB SSD (boot)
>1TB WD Black x2
>500GB Seagate
>300GB Seagate

Your hard drive bays may be a mismatched nightmare but that doesn't mean it's correct.

>doesn't mean it's correct
what do you mean by this?

besides, if you really want him to get an SSD, go for SSD + 2TB blue like said.

Hey Sup Forums, I'm some jackass whose HDD recently failed. I was looking through the threads because someone recommended a WD black for me, but I see the WD blues are about $70 cheaper. What's the deal with the WD blacks? Are they worth the difference in cost?

WD Blacks are faster. Or at least, used to be faster than Blues. And no, the price difference is not worth it at all. For the $70 that you save, you can buy a ~250GB SSD.

Stupid tripfag

I got a 250GB SSD and a 3TB WD red for storage.

It was probably cheaper than your 500GB SSD + 1TB noisy meme drive but it allows for much more storage.

First of all:
Hybrids are fucking dogshit. They always have shitty controllers and are barely faster than a conventional HDD.

Secondly:
SSD + HDD is the best bang for buck combo.
Unless someone just doesn't need heavy storage because they don't have a library of games and media then a ~500GB SSD is a no brainer.

Blacks have a longer 5yr warranty, and have short periods between model updates.
Blues have a three yr warranty and usually have long production runs of a certain model.

Be careful when buying HDDs, check the mfgr's website for the most recent models or a recent production model with a really good reputation.
On amazon, bestbuy, ebay, and fry's try to pass off years old stock as a good value when they can be slower revision with know reliability problems.

You sound like the kind of guy I would try to pick out pc parts for my build

I'll be heading to a Microcenter when it opens to pick one up, probably the black. My first few HDDs were all Seagate Barracudas, and up until my most recent one have been perfectly reliable. As a result, the 5 year warranty definitely appeals to me.

Anyway, thanks dude.

A "faster" more expensive drive

If you want speed you get an SSD, and WD Reds for storage. C'mon, 2016, etc

Solution: Get a 250GB SSD and a 2TB WD blue

you mean a pinto engine in an 18-wheeler truck
carries a lot, but takes forever to get anywhere