Dell XPS 15

-i7 6700HQ Quad Core Processor
-8GB DDR4 Memory
-250GB SSD
-FHD
-Nvidia GTX 960m 2GB DDR5 GPU
-1 Year of service/repairs

$1440 after taxes.

Am I being ripped here or is this a good deal? I want to like it so bad.

Seems a tad expensive for what you're getting, user.

Its a nice machine, but not worth the expenses unless you move constantly. Getting a nice desktop is much more worthwhile.

stop shilling your overpriced shit pajeet

I dont necessarily move constantly but having a desktop just seems inconvenient. I am looking for something I can move around my house with, take to uni, game a couple times a month, etc. I want it to be powerful enough that I dont have to upgrade it.

I have yet to see any direct competition with this laptoo though. Everything else I see looks terrible, has bad batter, and is barely cheaper.

Any true alternatives?

seems about right, got mine for around $1300 on sale

XPS 15 9550 has major design flaws and quality control issues stay away from it.

you can probably get a student discount

Yeah, they're ~$980 on Dell University.

Whoops, my mistake, that's for the lower end XPS15. The one with the specs he mentioned isn't much cheaper.

It's a good machine but you should check to make sure you're getting the 84Wh battery.

Dell are fucking assholes about getting the FHD model with the big battery.

Personally I'm waiting for the Pascal refresh and better eGPU compatability.

Laptops aren't worth more than 700$, they will overheat and crash anyway

You obvously never paid for more than 700$ for a laptop

Get a desktop pc for 900$ + a laptop for 500$ you spend the same amount of money, build a decent gaming pc and also have a decent laptop for uni

Few suggestions - take into consideration laptops with 860m - 960m is literally just an overclocked version, they both are Maxwell. Don't buy versions with a built-in ssd - buy it yourself, it will be cheaper AND better. Also research higher clocked i5 versions. You'll shave off $300 easily.

Any issues so far?

I am aware of the issues but am finding it very hard to resist. If my laptop has issues, can't I just return it? I have warranty for a year.

Pascal what? Care to elaborate?

I dont have the money to invest into a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. Also, no laptop I'd want costs $500.

I was considering this for the XPS 15. How difficult would it be to change it out? Also, wouldn't that void the warranty?

>How difficult would it be to change it out
Unscrewing 5 screws difficult. Most laptops have hdd and ram slots easily accessible. Not sure about the warranty, never used that.

SSD built in models come with NVMe SSDs. Im not sure if lower end models would support them.

Those writes seem way too low and reads are too asymmetric. Is ram cache enabled?

The model I'd be getting would be a PCLe SSD.

Comparing prices, it's only about $150 more for the i7 and SSD.

>Most laptops have hdd and ram slots easily accessible.
My experience so far was that HDD slots were always accessible, but RAM .. that's a mixed bag (I'm looking at you ASUS, with your 2GB of RAM soldered onto the mainboard and only one expansion slot, already taken up by a 2GB stick)

Yeah, ram can be in some retarded place, especially on slimmer laptops.

temps can hover around 95c under load, but i think that's just my unit. Been meaning to redo paste.

>256GB storage
>2GB VRAM
>8GB RAM
>only 1 year
Is this a joke?
How the fuck could this possibly be 1.4k

I have a Dell laptop, and it had a pretty bad keyboard. And it looks like the same keyboard as in the picture.
Now, I never had any troubles with keyboards. I'm not a savant, just touch-typing, and able to adapt to layouts and weird keys. I got my Dell laptop for well over a year now, and the keyboard is just... bland. I can place my fingers on the home row, index fingers on F and J, but the rest of my fingers just don't know where they are. The keys are flat and the spacing is bad enough so that you don't know over which keys your fingers are. Going for the numbers row is awful, and trying to guess any of the F keys is just suicidal. Good luck trying to enter a password, or pressing the F5. Heck, even Alt+F4 proves difficult on this keyboard.
I never had a keyboard which felt beneath my standards before my Dell laptop's one.
1440$ is a lot of money, and a bad keyboard could ruin the whole machine.

Honestly it's a design that's almost out of date. I would wait until their next generation gpus.

>Nvidia GTX 960m 2GB DDR5 GPU
muh gaymen labtob

Wait for laptops with geforce 10-series GPU's.
This is on the end of its lifeline

Its for 1569 euros here

Youd have to delete system 32 to it worth your money

If you have money to burn you could try getting one of those small firm factor meme pcs.

It's pretty cool having the power of a Titan in a shoebox. Desk, livingroom, Lan party it's been worth it.