Sup Forums explain to me why a CS major is a meme degree. I just want to hear some opinions

Sup Forums explain to me why a CS major is a meme degree. I just want to hear some opinions.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's actually good unless you're working with the Pajeets that give it a bad name.

good CS courses teach CS, not how to be a decent developer. grads generally suck at development for another couple of years while working

bad CS courses teach bad CS and often with irrelevant or trivial tech, like making websites or some shit

It's mostly because the US has some really shitty CS programs, hell some curriculums only cover the half from my curriculum, which is mostly theoretical and mathematical like it should be (German university)

Better ask for this question

im going to be going in to Parallel Systems, currently working on a beowulf cluster with my University. Itll be the second cluster I've assembled

>like it should be
If you want no job or are autistic, sure

CS skills (networking, programming, databases, security, UI, etc) are quite binary: You can program, or you cannot program. You cannot fake it, and there is no middle ground ("I can make a half-functional database!")

CS degrees are notorious for being highly theoretical, and divorced from the real world. Many students go through the full 4 year courses with good grades, thinking that they are doing well, when in reality they are completely useless.

It is a bit of a shock for new grads, and for people who are hiring, when the person who has spent 4 years studying computer science cannot do a simple loop with a condition (hence the infamous FizzBuzz that 99% of programming job applicants fail).

If you actually pick the skills you are expected to use in the real world, the CS is excellent.

95% of CS students do not. They spend 4 years and get a useless piece of paper.

math is important for CS but not manditory. Ive only taken up to Calc 1 (with AP Statistics) and am parallel programming and developing my own Conjecture - granted I'll need an understanding of Linear Algebra for that

>first year CS
>maths, taught overly complicated shit that nobody in CS will ever need
>theoretic informatics (maths, tutor was really hard to understand)
>programming in racket (LISP like cancer that nobody will ever use) and a tiny bit java
>technical basics of informatics: Logic and FPGAs, actually interesting
Wasted 1 year on this shit

thats why you dont be a downer and teach yourself things that school doesnt. Im teaching myself Fortran95 and OpenMP programming for it, then ill learn C

>taught overly complicated shit that nobody in CS will ever need
for undergrads

>good CS courses teach CS, not how to be a decent developer
And this is a good thing. Less pajeets.

Racket is great, especially for something like a university.
Go to india or something.

Look this Any skill required in the real world of software engineering can be easily acquired without university, that's why you go to university to learn the theory and complement it with the skills you learn in your free time

Do you seriously think that courses dedicated to praxis like "Intro to C programming" or "Intro to Web Development" should be "taught" at university? Kek

My "Intro to Programming" course taught me Java (up to Generics), some Haskell and some Prolog, my operating system course taught us some C and some bash, my "Technical Informatics" course taught me some MMIX. Most courses taught us only the basics, why? Because the courses (except Intro to Programming) focussed on the concepts, which are way more important and are way more ageless than any programming language might be.

If you want to be a Software Engineer, study Software Engineering instead of Computer Science, but imo Computer Science with some projects in your free time is way more worth than any Software Engineering degree could be.

CS is a meme degree since people expect to graduate as a Software Engineer which is definitely not the case. But if you already did some Software Engineering before university and plan to do it through university, the CS degree is a perfect addition to your skills. In that case a Software Engineering degree would be boring for you anyway.

I refuse to believe 99% of people fail fizzbuzz unless HR is letting people with no qualifications walk in the door.

Jesus christ

>mfw CE will teach you all the useful parts of CS but also how to design software properly

It's getting a bad reputation, because in recent years there has been a lot of kids enrolling in CS, who would otherwise have gone to business school. They look at the high starting salaries and say, "well I use computers all the time, how hard can this stuff be?".

afaik, it's generally also a lot harder to attend

It's great at weeding out future codemonkeys, but you have to apply yourself.
I dix miss the more theoretical parts of CS, but I just bought Intro to Algs and Knuth's tomes to complete it.

The problem is hand holding from universities. I went to a state school and a ton of kids in my CS program should've been failed out, or forced to change majors. They had no fucking clue what they were doing and only managed to complete work outside of class by "collaborating" in large groups, groups centered on one person doing all the work.

It devalues the degree, but university is basically highschool 2.0 now and everyone gets a degree.

Oh sweet summer child.

blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/
>199 out of 200
So literally 99.5%

What do you guys think of this I am going to school for IT but I wanted to get a four year so I am doing CS. I talked to some people who worked in and around datacenters and higher level positions related to IT companies all had CS degrees. I'm assuming even if I don't code very well will this be more beneficial than just doing a two year in a related IT degree?

I should just drop out of uni and start interviewing then.

No one wants a dropout.

It's only a meme degree if you get a CS degree just to become a programmer, when a CS degree can get you in the door to so many better careers like pentesting/cyber security.

cyber security?