bento.io/
programming-motherfucker.com/
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
theodinproject.com/
freecodecamp.com/
w3schools.com/
developer.mozilla.org/
codewars.com/
youtu.be/JxAXlJEmNMg?list=PL7664379246A246CB - "Crockford on JavaScript" lecture series.

>Useful Youtube channels
derekbanas
thenewboston
learncodeacademy
funfunfunction
computerphile
codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528/

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k - "2016/2017 MUST-KNOW WEB DEVELOPMENT TECH - Watch this if you want to be a web developer "
youtu.be/zf_cb_Nw5zY - "JavaScript is Easy" - If you can't into programming, you probably won't find a simpler introduction to JavaScript than this.

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

htmldog.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Does anyone here have experience with Elm? Can you compare it to React/Angular?

Second for how viable is it to go from neet to job ready. Can I focus all of my time into it to get that result? Live like 30 miles away from NYC.

Hey,

When haroku says one worker on the free plan. Does that mean a single thread or core?

React's Redux is heavily inspired by it iirc. For practical usage, it's probably more practical to just use that for a React project unless you already have an Elm codebase or something.

Angular 1 is a clusterfuck of two-way binding and statefulness. Pretty much the opposite of the Elm/React/Redux philosophy. I haven't tried Angular 2 since I'm waiting to see if they really are done changing everything around this time.

>Live like 30 miles away from NYC
Shit nigger, you're playing on easy mode. Have some discipline and code every day and you'll be on your way.

One core, I'm pretty sure. With a PaaS like Heroku, that's abstracted away. The only difference with the free plan is that you can't create new instances of your app and only get x hours/month of runtime. (Pretty sure it's enough to run one thing continuously.)

>Shit nigger, you're playing on easy mode. Have some discipline and code every day and you'll be on your way.

Thanks bro

We're all gonna make it

>finish website for client
>he says thank you, etc., pays me the rest of my money
>two months later he hires a new assistant
>new assistant wants some "free" adjustments to the website
>I stupidly say sure if they're minor fixes, because I want to keep my client on good terms
>she proceeds to send me a Word doc with about 80 things she wants done to the site, including increasing the font-sizes throughout the site to ugly huge sizes
>I do it, because I think that's what the old client wanted and he must have approved of it
>get another Word doc days later, demanding the font-sizes be increased EVEN MORE
>website is now totally broken, the design is broken, it looks like shit
>get another Word doc demanding I fix the site
>reply that this is now cutting into my normal work day and I will be forced to prorate the hours and have the client sign off on a timesheet
>get a string of angry emails in my box this morning

Anyone who unironically wants 20px+ body copy can unironically McFucking kill themselves. Go buy some fucking glasses. Stop killing the internet.

>Second for how viable is it to go from neet to job ready. Can I focus all of my time into it to get that result? Live like 30 miles away from NYC.
Put together a crappy portfolio site.

Demo at least 3 complete websites you've done.

If you don't have 3 complete websites, volunteer, do some pro bono work and get 3 complete websites.

Don't bother with the resume and all that gayness. If you see a job you want, apply, and send them the link to your portfolio site. No one actually involved in the pipeline will read your resume, nobody gives a shit except catty HR ladies.

If your portfolio is good, and you interview well, you will be hired. It's that simple. This is a "What do you know, what can you do?" industry. Fancy words on paper mean dick.

anybody know a good website to look for web dev jobs in europe in general? I'm in Madrid but I can pretty much relocate to anywhere, but going through job search engines country by country is a pain in the ass. Help?

Should have told them about ctrl+scroll

I wrote a pointed email back and literally said the issue is an end-user problem, not a cross-platform one.
Translation: I'm not doing it. The problem is you.

This ain't so bad.

Did you really screenshot a post just to point out a typo

Nope. I took a screenshot of that post with 20px+ font because I think large fonts aren't bad.
(Chrome highlights a word on right-click)

>mfw doing ASP.NET MVC tutorial

I have a OOP and webdev background and it feels like a mess

>because I think large fonts aren't bad.
A sentence or two of it isn't bad.

Try 8 paragraphs with no line-height in a 1060 layout with black text.

I also dont like the websites where the client suggested the design or changes to the design.
It always gets worse. And they often want things that require stupid hacks or a bazillion classes.

The best sites are still the ones where you have creative freedom.

Hello. Please help.

How is this for web dev shit?
>HTML - w3schools
>CSS,bootstraps - w3schools
>JS(jquery,angular,react,popular framworks)-w3schools. eloquent javascript, CC
>PHP-w3schools, CC
>SQL-w3schools, CC
>Python- CC, Learn Python the Hard Way,sololearn
>Java(maybe)-CC,sololearn

Can you recommend any other good resources? How plentiful are jobs in NYC? Is it better to be an "expert" a few languages and branch out from there or should you start with a broad feel? Is it even possible to master a language (know everything about it).

>w3schools

I really like the way they show some of their stuff but w3fools exists and people claim their shit is insanely out of date and not a good way to learn shit so I don't know.

It's 'out of date' in that they still show methods of doing things that are no longer in favored practice, tables being the obvious one. But it's still a good reference guide for people who are new to HTML. I still hit it up every now and then when I forget something, it happens to all of us.

If I had to go back to my college class and lecture people, I would tell them that they need to learn
HTML
CSS
Java
and some PHP, in that particular order.

Some would say 'Bootstrap', but they've so ridiculously documented it that there's no reason to go out of your way to learn every single thing about it at first, as a lot of their modules are practically drag-and-drop. Learning basic Java is more important so you understand WHY these things in Bootstrap work the way they do.

I was severely crippled coming out of college because they filled our course path up with garbage classes and never taught us Java. When you get out of school, webdev companies will EXPECT you to know some Java.

I would start with the codecademy stuff on html/css/js first so you get a feel for how things work, then go with FCC/Odin for a while. Then you should have a feel for the languages enough to branch out into other tutorials and whatnot.

>JS(jquery,angular,react,popular framworks)-w3schools. eloquent javascript, CC
Eloquent is pretty good. w3s is overall decent, with some outdated stuff. Just be sure to concentrate on learning the fundamentals of vanilla JS before branching out into all the frameworks and shit.

>PHP-w3schools, CC
>SQL-w3schools, CC
>Python- CC, Learn Python the Hard Way,sololearn
>Java(maybe)-CC,sololearn
That's too much. Concentrate on one thing and git gud at it. Don't try to learn every language out there. For backend stuff, go with either Python, Ruby, Java, C#, or PHP. (or Node, but you should already know JS by this point anyway.) They're all good options. Then learn some popular backend frameworks for whatever your chosen language is.

Then, once you have a base understanding of that, learn about databases and SQL and all that. Continue to practice with everything. Once you're an expert at one backend stack, it's a lot easier to transfer to a different one. If you try to learn them all at the same time, you're just going to get burnt out.

Can you recommend any other good resources?
The "How to get started" stuff in the OP
htmldog.com/
MDN

>How plentiful are jobs in NYC?
Plentiful. It's no Si Valley, but it's up there. There are also tons of meetup groups and conferences.

>Is it better to be an "expert" a few languages and branch out from there or should you start with a broad feel?
Most programming languages are very similar in a lot of ways. As a beginner, you should focus on one for a while till you get a feel for it. Once you're pretty good with it, other languages will come a lot easier. Just learn new stuff as you have a need for it.

>Is it even possible to master a language
Of course. It just takes a while.

Unless you're planning on using Spring or something, there's really no need to learn Java for web development