codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528/

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P01Pl7yCPqg
lmgtfy.com/?q=nginx status page
w3schools.com/tags/att_global_id.asp
bna.com/legal-issues-raised-by-the-use-of-web-crawling-and-scraping-tools-for-analytics-purposes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OWASP
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When do we think WordPress will die?

But it works perfectly fine for what it is made for.

Thanks for recommending Coding Rainbow, whoever put it in the OP pasta. Quite pleasing and relaxing to watch, interesting topics.
He'll be live in ~10 minutes, for anyone interested.

Realistically? When Apache servers are completely phased out, which probably won't be for another 10-15 years.

Which Perl web frameword is the best las?

Catalyst, Mojolicious or Dancer?

Perl's still a thing? I honestly haven't heard of anyone learning/using that language since like 2007.

Talk shit about Apache all you want, but at least they ship with a handy status page.
Where's this shit in Nginx? In a paid version? Fuck that.

where at

In the only place he's at, also known as the top link on Google.
youtube.com/watch?v=P01Pl7yCPqg

Hello gents I am working on a Java-script that will go to a page get some info from a div and place it in a textbox. Everything I have tried has not worked to this point. Am I missing something the string i am passing into .load is "../ajax/thanks.blade.php #1" .
shouldn't this get a div with the id of 1 and place it in my .page_text textbox?

$(document).ready(function(){
$('.backup').on('click',function(e){
var id = $(this).attr('id');
var file_name = "../ajax/"+{{ json_encode($data[0]) }} + " #" + id;
console.log(file_name);
$(".page_text").load(file_name);
});
});

I'm not talking shit about Apache. In fact, I prefer using LAMP over meme-of-the-week web stacks like those based on Node.js (even though I love JS).

of course i found this but it wasn't clear that he did live stuff there. thanks
we'll see how good this is

That's fair.
I'll just keep harassing people until somebody kicks me in the direction of the status page alternative for Nginx.

I don't know how I feel about this. The projects seemed cool but when I realized everything is made in some JS library I lost my will to watch it. It would be nicer to learn to make stuff like these from scratch, because a lot of things are not even that hard to do. It feels too kiddie for me, correct me if I'm wrong.

ids must begin with a letter a-z, #1 is not a valid selector.

>It feels too kiddie for me, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, it's more about doing fun simple things rather than hardcore programming. Unfortunately, in current year, it means JS or Processing.
I often wish the explanations and implementations were deeper, but there's still cool stuff on his channel, if you're not too advanced or don't want to dig deep.

lmgtfy.com/?q=nginx status page

I just changed the div id to #backup1 , #backup2
and changed the search to ../ajax/thanks.blade/php #backup1

but still no dice if I just load the page ../ajax/thanks.blade/php it works fine but when i select the id it just changes my default text to a blank page. 1

Oh I see what its doing its placing the whole div in there tags and all. What i need i a way to get just the text form the div tag and exclude the tags

this guy is fucking retarded, been watching for over 20 minutes and the guy still hasn't said ONE single fucking thing...

Then you should stick to watching videos. His streams are basically raw unedited peek-from-behind-the-scenes type of deals.

About to rework my portfolio, after getting side-tracked with a job outside of the career field that I couldn't turn down. It's got some pretty old sites on it (pic related).

I'm sure that style of boxed sites is grossly out of date right? Also I'm trying to make the site responsive (make it bootstrap/foundation). Is there an easy quick way to do this or do I have to remake the entire site?

Looking at the complexity of the design I say it'd be quicker just to rebuild rather than retrofitting.

Whats the way to link from the navigation to your other html pages?
I know the a href but after making a bunch of pages theyre not linking or going anywhere when i click my nav buttons

>theyre not linking or going anywhere when i click my nav buttons
Explain.

I have my landing page with its navigation at the top
In CSS i have a nice underline stroke effect on the hover, but thats not important
The important thing is clicking on the nav doesnt take me to the page it should, so i need to know the process to link them in?

Yeah it probably needs to be redone anyway just since it's so out of date. Thanks user.

you don't use CSS for that, just plain html on your main html page. You would have something like

Films/Submit Film/Sponsors/whatever

my formatting sucks, sorry

thanks m8 Its that simple isnt it?
I thought there was something like "#" id tag in there as well

oh but dont knock yourself out trying to help me,
i think youve been a help already cheers

I worked it out yes you were right theres no "#"
i dont know where i pickled that up from

>theres no "#"
you're talking about id's, which you can add if you want to style the link in a particular way.... Read more about it here

w3schools.com/tags/att_global_id.asp

also, your html/css knowledge is very rusty, just take a day to refresh those skills

ID's are pretty bad to use for styling, classes are better and should be kept as generic as possible for each component.

So if you wanted a block component on the frontpage you'd do
.block { background: red; }

Instead of
body.frontpage .block { background: red; }

Unless you specifically wanted to override it on that page.

Hey guys, I'm working on a website, I'm a PHP programmer and I have an issue related with the server, its overloading everytime it gets 40+ people connected, not even at the same time, I'm using the Yii2 framework, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, like if there is some kind of wrong default configuration maybe?

>trying to name page and buy domain
>this website is for sale on flippa!
>Parked by Sedo
>parked by Go Daddy
>Make offer

That's it. Domain regulation when? 20 per person limit is plenty.

You're probably doing stupid shit with queries, check the mysql slow log.

Also make sure you have mysql/(nginx|apache) setup properly for your server.

Yeah, I've checked that but less than 5 queries take more than max time and those are queries only I execute, not the final user

Are there any legal issues with having a similar name to someone else?

Let's say I have the name smileletters but there is already a thing called smileletter.

Our things are completely different.

Actually the guys with the better name just have a landing page saying "Our idea is secret and will change the world!"

Been there for years.

Depends on where you live and how aggressive they are.

Australia.

Literally all they do is post articles about startup companies on facebook and bot follow keywords to inflate their epeen.

They are oz im us.

do it

Did it.

Post projects

my project is really shitty though.

Are you worried about criticism?

Question.

I have a menu that is on every page.
This menu has a list of applications on the website, as determined by the user's permissions.
I'm thinking that loading permissions from the database every request would add a ton of overhead, and severely slow down the website.

How should I handle this? If I cache the menu, then I have to tell users to clear their cache any time I make changes to their permissions.

yeah

So I am about done with a web development boot camp tutorial i pirated from udmey.

I just got my feet wet in js, html, css, nodejs( express, ejs, mongoDB).

I spent a little more time learning JS on my own so I am a little more stronger than what the course itself gives.

My question is besides getting better at js and contributing some stuff on github, where do I go from here? I am thinking of learning react and mysql then start building up a project.

What my idea for an independent project is a website where you upload new music videos from youtube and ranks them based on user feed back. You will also be able to register and comment on said videos as well as your comments and votes becoming shown in a history. Oh, I would also like to make a page for the artist where users can edit the bio but fetching a default bio from wikipedia until trusted users can edit a better one together. This isn't designed to make money or anything, just something to get better at coding.

What things would you suggest I learn for this project?

Is this your first project to launch?

You become immune to the criticism after the first one.

Whatever interests you.

I would use PHP back and JS front. If you really like JS then you could use MEAN or with React instead of Angular.

You can change SESSION values.

Guys.

I have come to the conclusion that web development is a meme.

I need to get out of this godforsaken area as quickly as possible before I kill myself.

I guess I could store sessions in the database, as well, and invalidate the user's session when I change their permissions.

Or just update their session.

Well I want to learn php or c# eventually, but my focus right now is to get better at JS in general and using a JS backend on a project should yield tons of experience.

Eventually I want to pick up c# or php once the project is done and build something using that as the back end. Ideally I would pick up both but once I pick up one of them I have been toying with the idea of picking up c++, well get competent in it since I learned it in college, or python. I want something I can make games with or make apps on linux with. That is why down the line though for all things. My main propriety is to finish what is left of the boot camp then start on the project.

I have a question regardign CSS.

P.test1class.test2class

does this look for
class=" test1class test2class"
or does it look for
class="test1class"
class="test2class"

.test1class

Would look for test1class in either of those. That looks like something you could easily try yourself without having to ask us

Which stack is the best for web dev starter on Linux?

Any of them.

Stacks are bullshit. Learn HTML, CSS, and JS + whichever backend language(s) you know and/or like the best + some dev ops stuff.

Pretty much everything will run on linux. (C# is mostly a MS thing, but you can make it work.)

Pretty much everything can talk to SQL or NoSQL databases.

You gotta learn them stacks in order to get a job, though.

stacks are overrated indeed
there are some tools like react that are pretty different from everything else and worth looking into specifically, i think

yeah but the point is to study first the parts of the stack then make one yourself where you'll be confident in and start working from there.

What options do I have legally?

I want to create a website that let's people compare news articles from different websites or blogs.

is it illegal to compare news ? If we can compare smartphones, then why tf not about news ? Bumping for answers to this.

I imagine you don't have options legally.

Best VPS for the price?

How to hide my admin panel?

I usually put it in a folder with a crazy name.

Is that fine or should I just give it a crazy name so I won't have to navigate directories?

Planning tables has to be one of the few things that is simultaneously annoying and fun.

1. Merely hiding your admin panel is security through obscurity, aka shit. Make sure you're using a secure login method and a strong password.

2. If you're still going to bother hiding your admin panel, just name it literally anything other than "wp-admin". Problem solved.

I make my own admin panels.

I use PDO with stored procedures.

I'll just give it a 60 character filename.

Going through a Laravel course on udememey.

The retard made string('author') and string('photo') columns in the comments table even though he could've just integer('user_id') and pull both of those via that relation...

Is every instructor on udemy brain dead?

Installing nodejs bricked my apache server.

I have to reinstall everything I guess?

define bircked

Nodejs set a virus that constantly installs php7 and it errors out.

God fucking dammit.

I can't even reinstall apache without this shit

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
php7.0-cli php7.0-fpm php7.0-json php7.0-opcache php7.0-readline

Lowendbox.com

I've been uploading my projects to my portfolio page. It's been the first time I've had the chance to ever check out my projects using an actual mobile device, rather than a resized browser window.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that the majority of my front-end projects do not respond to touch. If I touch an element that has been bound to respond to click events, nothing happens.

Is this a common problem? I've used jQuery to bind events in these old projects. Is it a jQuery specific issue?

What's stranger still is that I have a newer application hosted online that responds fine to user touch, and that used jQuery for event handling too. Shit's confusing as fuck

Presumably the old projects are using an old version of jQuery then,

A VPS can be used for any kind of online application, right? It's not just restricted to webpages?

Yes, generally speaking.

Is Dreamweaver merely just a memeweaver?
Or what is the other better alternatives? i like how memewaever makes alot of things easy but then I dont leant the code as much

It's not illegal to cite news. Sites like HN are obviously linking and talking about articles en masse.

Didn't Mozilla have a live website renderer dev thing you can use online that shows what you're making? Try that.

that would be interesting.

This article may help:

bna.com/legal-issues-raised-by-the-use-of-web-crawling-and-scraping-tools-for-analytics-purposes

const selectSelfOrAncestor = (selector, element) => {
if (element === null || element.matches(selector)) {
return element;
}
return selectSelfOrAncestor(selector, element.parentElement);
};

i thought the way i wrote the null check was neat

Not relevant because you can literally just use iframes.

It's been two months and I still don't have a fucking job. Today I got stood up on two separate interviews

How the fuck do I have the gall to keep leaching off my dad

Invent your own social media website and become a billionaire all on your own ;^)

I want to make a right-wing news website. How do I prevent insane radicalized leftists from hacking me?

getting hacked is one of the best things that could happen to you
the alt-right loves feeling persecuted

Schedule some appointments with a therapist. They know how certain people tend to think

That's a stupid question. Don't expose any personal data. Pay attention to best practices in web security. You're not getting a step-by-step tutorial for your specific needs in this thread, so put some effort in yourself.

Start here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OWASP

Sup Forums belongs on Sup Forums, you're not helping.

React Native
or
PhoneGap?

There's plenty of .website domains.

whats a good language and framework for backend dev that doesn't hide a lot of details behind magic?