With the recent news of EVGA cards having problems cooling the ram and vrm, which current cards actually cool the vram?

With the recent news of EVGA cards having problems cooling the ram and vrm, which current cards actually cool the vram?

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.de/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal-gp106-grafikkarten-roundup,testberichte-242152-2.html#3
forums.evga.com/GTX-1080-FTW-Black-screen-fans-spin-up-to-100-m2530081-p46.aspx#2568569
forums.evga.com/What-i-supposed-to-do-with-my-1080-FTW-m2568851.aspx
forums.evga.com/badHOT-PCB-Layout-on-GTX-1070-FTW-m2565921.aspx
forums.evga.com/EVGA-GTX-1060-6GB-ACX-20-blew-up-and-caught-fire-m2568927.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

EVGA has always had shit cooling.

EVGA do cool the VRAM though. All their ACX cards have an inner plate with pads for it and the VRMs. The issue is their implementation. MSI have a similar plate that works fine. Gigabyte and Palit usually hook them up directly to the main fin array. Asus don't bother cooling VRAM, because they're a shit brand for morons, but even there you don't see the kind of issues EVGA have. It's just a badly-designed cooler with a spot that doesn't get proper airflow.

>he fell for the EVGA meme

Finally, i'm glad this kills or at least alleviates the EVGA shilling i see everywhere. Good thing they have an efficient costumer service, you'll need it buddy

Glad i could see through it before. My last three cards were Zotac - paid cheaper than most meme brands for three years of warranty, and never had to use it.

>It's not just the EVGA 1070/1080ftw's having vrm temp issues [1060SC]

>tomshardware.de/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal-gp106-grafikkarten-roundup,testberichte-242152-2.html#3

Jesus, what a shitfest.

Glad I sold my one of those.

>Zotac
Mein negro. Zotac and PNY are GOAT.

PNY produce the Quadros for Nvidia, so their build quality should be good at least.

>believing leddit
This "recent news" was someone on Reddit spewing up bullshit about the cards. It's not a heat problem, VRM are rated for a lot higher than the temps that they're reaching.

kys evga shill

That'll be why EVGA admitted the problem and are sending out free thermal pads to fix it. :^)

Also, the VRM temperatures were never the issue by themselves, you dumb cuck. The problem is that the heat from them spreads to the VRAM due to EVGA's shit design, and GDDR5X is only rated for 95 degrees. This is causing the issues.

EVGA cards have always run hot faggot.

My EVGA 1060 GTX 6GB never goes beyond 75C at full load. It usually is between 60 and 67 C degrees.

But that's only the core. Nvidia cards don't provide VRM temperature sensors like AMD ones do, so shit tier companies like EVGA are free to let them get to near breaking point and you're none the wiser.

Dat fucking armor on the 1070 AMP!
:D

How do I know VRAM temps then?
What's a safe VRAM temp?

VRMs (not VRAM) are usually rated to handle around 120 degrees max before throttling, but any decent card will keep them below 80. Pic related is MSI's cheapo 1060 OC model for example.

I've only ever seen one other card that had VRMs running at 100+ degrees, which was XFX's 290X, a card that uses more than twice as much power as a 1060. Quite how EVGA have fucked up this badly I'm not sure.

> throttle
Please explain what this means

>cooling the ram and vrm
How do you even check those temps?

if this was happening to an AMD AIB card we'd have 40 threads about it

The voltage regulators have limits on the amount of volts and amps they can provide. This limit is rated at certain temperature points. The cooler they run, the more power they can provide consistently. If they exceed the rated operating temperature then they will begin to provide power below specifications. This will cause massive instability assuming it doesn't immediately crash. This is especially an issue in overclocking, though mind you that the 10x series automatically boosts as high as the power and thermals allow. If they had proper cooling on the vrms the cards would not only overclock better. But boost higher more consistently.

Zotac you sluts

wtf, I like AMD now

>tfw get a 2 in 1 graphics card and heater

based EVGA, just in time for the holidays.

>EVGA BTFO

Fucking finally. So sick of this meme brand.

>b-b-b-but the best customer service and warranty

Looks like you'll need it, cux.

>>b-b-b-but the best customer service and warranty

they'd be bankrupt if they didn't have that, it explains a lot

My EVGA 1070 is fine now, I had to stick a 120mm fan under each of the fans to make it sit under 70c in games (it was hitting 80-82 in Mafia 3 now doesn't go over 70)

I guess its a ploy to buy their stupid AIO cooler.

Has this only started happening? I've been buying EVGA stuff since the gtx 4xx series and none of them had issues. My current 980TI classified runs like a top. Even with an extra 50mv to the core, my VRMs are only hitting 60-ish C max.

It's only the FTW line that has this feature, you dumbfucks

>Even with an extra 50mv to the core, my VRMs are only hitting 60-ish C max

And how are you measuring that? Because I have the same card and it doesn't have VRM temperature sensors. Do you have a thermal imaging camera? Have you removed the backplate to get a proper reading from the VRM area if so?

What the fuck, I thought EVGA was supposed to be good.

Who else should I be putting my money down on then?

>bought a ftw 1070
>haven't had any problems yet
Im scared

Stay pure, stick with stock Nvidia cards. You can never go wrong.

Don't listen to these dolts. EVGA is perfectly fine. Aside from meme boards, no one has actually pointed out anything better to you therefore there isn't any.

I bought a 1080 FTW like two months ago. Am I fucked? How will I know if I'm fucked? Is there any preventive medicines I can give my computer?

Just a few unlucky cards tbqh. People just like to be contrarians to success. EVGA has done relatively well the last half decade and people are tired because their niche cards aren't getting any love.

Also this, this will be my first major build in a long time and I have no idea who to trust at this point. Avoid MSI and EVGA right?

>just a few unlucky cards
>meanwhile every review videos always show them with consistently high temps

Go with Zotac or PNY.

Palit and Gainward make great cards with awesome coolers. It's a shame they're not easy to find in the US.

>running 1080 FTW
>never goes higher than 65°C
I guess I don't give a shit since I don't run furmark for hours on end to "test" my card.
Played DOOM, BF4, Overwatch on 1440p with everything maxed out for more than 2 hours and it's always the same 60~65°C.

Thats the gpu die, you retard. Not the vrm

I know, according to everybody, my computer should have melted already because the board had to be running like 100° if the GPU was on 65.
Also you should not be able to touch the backplate but even though it's hot is not scorching hot, at least not hotter than the other side with the coolers.

Do you have terrible reading comprehension?

The gpu itself can run cool, but the vrm is not being properly cooled so it runs much hotter than the gpu

which could shorten the life of the card and fuck with shit on the case.
>Do you have terrible reading comprehension?
you love to post and read yourself outloud you stupid fuck? I told you I've touched the back of the card and it isn't melting as the fucking readings suggest.

Not him, but I'm doing a cheap upgrade. Zotac has two 1050Ti cards one basic the other OC'd.

Is this a jew tactic, like DeeluXtremePlatinum(TM) in order to get people to hand over extra shekels or do they actually offer anything aside from a mildly faster clock?

EVGA's been doing that for years.
Theoretically, factor OC cards have chips that are better quality and can be pushed harder.

Theoretically.

Pretty much all board partners do this. They offer a card with a low base clock, and a few other SKUs with higher base/boost clocks.

On the scale of things though, it's not like "here's our shit model versus our great model" is it?

No, you'll be fine with any card that isn't a reference model.

It's more "Spend $200 extra for marginal improvements."

Who has better warranty/customer service Zotac or Palit?

I've never bought their boards before but I hear good things, especially since we're all talking about them here.

you can't, nvidia cards dont have any sensors to check those

here is a gigabyte cooler from a 980ti, you can see how the cooler has direct contact with the vrm along with the gpu die.

here is an evga 1070 cooler, as you can see only the gpu makes direct contact with the cooler.

just go with gigabyte. its the patritions choice.

>I told you I've touched the back of the card and it isn't melting as the fucking readings suggest

Because the backplate isn't connected to the PCB in any way, you stupid faggot, meaning it's entirely useless in terms of transferring heat away from the board. Some of the thermal pads EVGA are sending out are for attaching to the back of the PCB around the VRM area so that the backplate actually touches the board and provides some cooling, rather than just being for looks as it is by default.

I find it hilarious that you're in such deep denial about this, despite the fact that EVGA have acknowledged that it's a problem and are scrambling to fix it before any more cards catch fire. But you keep your head in the sand there, buddy. I'm sure it'll all work out for you. :^)

Yes, because EVGA use a secondary plate inside the card for cooling those components. There's nothing inherently wrong with that design. MSI also cool them with a secondary plate. EVGA's design is just shit.

Okay, so out of curiosity, what are the best manufacturers for Nvidia cards?
I assumed that since they only do Nvidia, that EVGA would be one of the better choices.

>Black screen 100% fan issue caused by components out of spec by manufacturer triggering a voltage protection or something (3-4% of cards after they finally came clean). forums.evga.com/GTX-1080-FTW-Black-screen-fans-spin-up-to-100-m2530081-p46.aspx#2568569

>Recent reports of the thermal pads actually not making contact with the VRAM chips!! (?% of cards). forums.evga.com/What-i-supposed-to-do-with-my-1080-FTW-m2568851.aspx

>Badly designed PCB/Heatsink, not cooling the VRM and VRAM properly and only caring about the GPU Core. (100% of cards). forums.evga.com/badHOT-PCB-Layout-on-GTX-1070-FTW-m2565921.aspx
In reference to the above the stock fan curve is also way too low to handle the VRM heat since it's based off the gpu core temp only (100% of cards)

holy fuck EVGA is absolutely BTFO

>which current cards actually cool the vram?

EVGA

The issue you're speaking of only affects cards made before August.

It's also only the FTW cards, so you could just get an ACX or stock.

>>which current cards actually cool the vram?
>EVGA

your cooling definitions are kinda outdated, m8

>Nvidia stock cards

Wew boy, 90C here I come!

>How it happened: Normal gaming usage for a couple of hours with GPU running at 75°c and CPU running at 28°c. Suddenly PC turns off (coolers, fan, mobo led, these are all off), however the case LED and my RBG keyboard are still on, so I figured my OS froze. I restart the computer and BAM, sparks and fire come out the GPU, I quickly unplug the PSU and the fire goes out within a second. Lots of smoke that smells like some serious welding had just gone on, I leave the room. Back a few moments later when things have ventilated I pull the GPU out and take the picture (attached). After a quick review, I restart the computer again (without the GPU), boots up no problem and proceeds to install on-board intel graphic drivers (sob).
Have already started a ticket in order to request RMA.

forums.evga.com/EVGA-GTX-1060-6GB-ACX-20-blew-up-and-caught-fire-m2568927.aspx

>The issue you're speaking of only affects cards made before August.

That's another issue, the black screen one, which was been fixed. The one discussed in this thread is another one that surfaced.

here is side by side of evga and msi 1070. left is evga and right is msi.

JESUS CHRIST EVGA, What the fuck.

We have this issue with basically every single release of a flagship, why do you dumbfucks always go off the handle about this?
Do your research, buy the good one, no problems, but yet here we are shilling DA BEST CLOCKAN 3RD PRATTY xDDDDDDDDDD and suddenly find out months later there were deficiencies.

Am I getting to old for Sup Forums, what gives?

At least the VRAM and VRM are cooled.

Traditionally, 3rd party coolers are the ones that forego everything once the die is cooled.

>112.2▲C
I don't know where to quote fermi or amd housefires

>I had to stick a 120mm fan under each of the fans
lmao pics please user if you're still around

Gotta buy day one goy, wouldn't want to be left behind when your friends buy the hot shit that they didn't even bother to wait for reviews for ;^)

I've got GTX1080 FTW. No problem. Temp is always 30°C, while playing games it goes up to 64-70°C. It's rather quiet.

Didn't read the thread: the post

Can't say anything bout Palit but I have never experienced any issues with Zotac. Even got a backplate from them (Asia only)

do people not remember this controversy with EVGA when the 900 series first came out?

>Controversy
You mean people freaking out about nothing?

Here ya go.

Oh, well that's disappointing. I was expecting full macguyver mode with cable ties and suspended fans.

Yea I knew it would be. It's a good card when you stick a bunch of fans next to it.

sue me

WATER COOLED MASTER RACE!
direct Cram and Vreg cooling
i have a 1080 now, but the same applied to me 780ti