BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD

Join the IRC: #baot on irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org

Docs: freebsd.org/handbook - openbsd.org/faq - netbsd.org/docs

Potential Linux switchers welcome. Ask questions, get answers, report shitposts, install BSDs.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry Pi
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who csh here?

I used to use tcsh, switched to ksh a few years ago

I mostly use pdksh now, myself. I'm interested in learning more about csh though.

Are they any single board computers like a RPi which support & run a varient of BSD well?

wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry Pi

netbsd also runs on it i believe

openbsd might be coming soon

i've been hearing all these things from the linux users that 'bsd is insecure' and whatnot, how much of it is actually true? can you confirm that freebsd does not verify its packages or audit ports?

It's all true.

OpenBSD is incredibly secure, they forced all their ports to use truly random functions.

Is fish shell adequate for BSD?

Does anyone use stable, release or, current? I like release because then you can use freebsdupdate instead of compiling everything. My shittylaptop doesn't like doing that so much

sh, csh, ksh, and tcsh are adequate

how useful are csh and tcsh, is the benefit just more "C-like" scripting or what? Legitimately asking.

BSD BSD BSD BSD BSD

>Install BSD
>"Let's get wifi working"
>look for drivers
>NODRIVERS for a 5+ year old NIC chip
Instantly go back to Linux.

Oh, the boot up time is like 2x longer than my ubuntu.

B-but it's Considered Harmful(TM)!

i only consider it harmful because no one uses it

has anyone here tried to compile emacs manually on openbsd here? i do that because i prefer the athena GUI

anyway, i can't seem to find a way to get it to recognize libpng, which means i need to turn it off when running the autotools, what gives?

>tfw you post on the openbsd mailing list and theo comes to your house personally to roast you

NetBSD has file system designed for flash memory

He's coming for you

running freebsd on my rpi as my irc client

Anyone using TrueOS? It's pretty comfy and free of GPL communism.

>free of communism
>implying that's a good thing

looks like dogshit desu

It's the default install environment you dip. It would look better with wallpaper.

GNU is nice, running GNU Emacs and GCC on my OpenBSD machine

Isn't netbsd still stuck with FFS?

They're both pretty nice, there's some issue that you can run into with them though. I've never ran into it, but it was around the time I switched to OpenBSD that I heard about it anyway and openbsd-pdksh was pretty nice. Now I use that on my OpenBSD systems and mksh on my Linux systems