CPU

>I5 or I7 for general gaming like dark souls and overwatch?

Also motherboard needed too. Not too much into overclocking. What model is going to give me all i need fot the cheapest price? Have a R9 390 8 gb gpu by msi. Take into account fashion too will ya

>inb4 Jew

Other urls found in this thread:

trustedreviews.com/intel-core-i5-6400-review-performance-and-verdict-page-3
tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html
guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_athlon_x4_845_fm2_review,13.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk
youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxZiksWtRQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
youtube.com/watch?v=EhaB1dqYv_I
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EQOWVLxk0DOFXKfzCmz9lEZ-qpMb7mIvt8KUYek69A8/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>>/sqt/ faggot

muh gaming

The cheapest i5 will give you what you are looking for.
But don't expect the cheapest i5 will impress cuties.

Try to wait for your shop to have discount for CPU. It sometimes create paradoxes like stronger CPUs costs less than weaker ones because marketing department is stupid.

if you want to go cheap for general gaming, an 860K by amd or the i3 6300 would be fine (the i3 6300 almost has the same performance as an i5 2500 non K.
but i would say go with a i5 and something like MSI B150 mortar or something

Noted.

Want to below like 700$ but could go up to 800, looking for ultra settings here

Athlon X4 845
>$65 quadcore
>65W TDP
>better single-thread performance than anything else AMD has to offer, including the full retard 220W FX-9590
>comes in not far behind even Intel's best i5s and i7s in gaming benchmarks
>FM2+ mobos are cheap too
What more can you ask for?

Sounds like a meme to me

Note that the 845 is not the same microarchitecture as the 860k mentioned by . It uses the newer Excavator cores, which is why it's 65W instead of 95W like the 860k while still beating it in most regards. The newer 880k is also the same inferior Steamroller microarchitecture as the 860k, so even though it costs more, has a higher clock speed, and was released after the 845, it's still not as good. AMD retard marketing is in full effect here. I don't know why they hate this chip so much when they should be pushing it as hard as they can.

I'm curious here, are AMD processors really that bad?

I've been thinking about doing a build with either an AMD X4 845 or intel i5-6400.

In passmark the i5 only has ~20% better multi-core and ~3% better single-core performance. I'm not sure if paying 3X the price is really worth it for those small gains.

AMD for nearly 10 years now has been shit, single core has been a sore point, their strongest point has been things that are heavily threaded.
So unless you render shit all the time, you get better performance from intel cpus.

They provide 'value' by severely undercutting themselves.
They have been in the red for ~4 years now, only now are they starting to break even.

If people really want AMD to do well they need to be prepared to buy their cpus at higher prices.
It does AMD no good to keep selling shit at a loss.

I use an i3-4160 with an R9 380 for those games and graphically more intensive ones and i hit 60fps on highest settings just fine.

>2016
>gaymen

I see but what about those 2 processors that I mentioned? Is paying 3X the price really worth that 3% increase in single-core performance?

Does that sound like a good deal to you? If you're a sane human being with a working brain, it shouldn't.

I don't know senpai, does 3% make any difference at all? I'm asking you because I'm all new to this shit man, I don't know shit. All I know is that people keep parroting AMD as some house fire waiting to happen and get a feeling it's just a huge meme.

Just get a 6600k.

>gaymen
Wrong board

I would have to read into benchmarks and shit to tell you.

But Intel has pretty much left the low end of the market to AMD.

They do have low end stuff like the G4400 which might be worth checking out.

The memes about AMD only really apply to their top-end shit like the FX-9590. The 845 is a 65W CPU that comes with a cooler meant for a 95W CPU, it won't be housefiring anything. 3% performance difference is absolutely not worth 3x the price, you'd be looking at a couple FPS lost at most, and many games aren't that CPU-demanding and just ask for a minimum amount of threads to run happily.

>They do have low end stuff like the G4400 which might be worth checking out.
>only 2 threads
>shit multi-core
>slightly more expensive than the X4 845
nah I'm good lol

Alright thanks guys, I'll stick with the AMD X4 845.

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS RETARD do NOT get the i5 6400, get the i3 6100 or the i5 6500, i5 6400 has shit performance per dollar. Pay 20 more for the 6500 or cheap out and get the i3 6100, which has the best price/perf

>or cheap out and get the i3 6100, which has the best price/perf
That would be the X4 845 senpai.

Dude, i3 6300 will even match an i5 6400 lmao. Intel is shit.

It won't. However since newer games are using DX12 they don't require 1337 CPU performance anymore which means an i3/A10 is more than enough for gaming now.

>The i5-6400’s lack of single-core speed punished its performance in games. The integrated GPU’s Battlefield 4 average of 16.8fps was a couple of frames behind the Core i3 Skylake chip, and it was a few more frames behind faster Core i5 and Core i7 silicon.

>That pattern repeated when I tested the HD Graphics 530 chip in Bioshock Infinite. The i5-6400 scored 17.49fps, but the Core i3-6100 topped out at 19.29fps. That’s not as good as Core i7 and newer Core i5 parts, but it’s still enough to beat older Core i5 silicon.

>The Core i5’s performance with discrete GPUs was more mixed. In Battlefield 4 at Ultra settings the i5-6400 averaged 76.5fps, which is the same as the i3-6100 and even a little quicker than most older parts. In Bioshock the i5’s average of 153.1fps was a few frames behind the Core i3 part and in between older Core i5 chips.

trustedreviews.com/intel-core-i5-6400-review-performance-and-verdict-page-3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the i3 6300 faster than the i3 6100?

stupid niggerposter

Wtf is sqt

My amd phenom II x4 945 did me really good for a long time. But ive switched to i5 3570k and its gooder

Nice argument there mate.

get an i5 6400 and asrock z170a-x1 or comparable motherboard that allows bclk overclocking

tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html
the i5 will be plenty
as for the mobo get something with 4+ stars on newegg

>i5 6400
see
not even once

This or a budget board+i3 6100 and stronger gpu.

See

>3% more performance
>300% higher price
Come on, user. Don't be stupid with your money.

An i3 is all you really need.

Completely missing the point.

See

Still gets beat massively by FX chips. It's literally an APU processor without the APU. Exact same performance as the A10 7870K.

guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_athlon_x4_845_fm2_review,13.html

It's still quite a bit cheaper, but the 8350 is still king for AMD.

It depends what GPU you pair it with and what level of performance you want.

If you're looking for pure budget gaming get the A10-7870K instead which is the same CPU but in APU form with decent graphics performance.

this.

because those games are not as powerful at 1080p as most people think.

I3 2120 + r7 260x here. When I bought this, I thought after a couple of years I'd be forced to play on low settings to achieve a smooth framerate.

Still playing most games on high settings, but gta v is on medium otherwise too many dips.

It handily beats both of those in singlethread, owing to the newer Excavator architecture that isn't available in any other desktop processor. Of course a quadcore loses to an octocore in multithread, but AMD's multithreaded performance has never been their weakness. The 845 is a big step forward for AMD, the best processor they've made since before the introduction of the FX line really.

Get an i7 because i5's are shit for gaming.

What about the 880k?

It's Steamroller, sadly. Just a higher-clocked 860k, I think bundled with a new cooler. An unlocked 845 would be amazing, but AMD will be AMD.

You can still do a bclk overclock you erect nipple.

Seriously dude.
Fuck off with that shit
>oh 845 would be perfect if this
>oh it would be perfect if that
Guess what, you can this and that you fucking idiot!

Even the morons who browse reddit for upvotes are smarter than your dumb ass.

>I5 or I7 for general gaming like dark souls and overwatch?
You need an i7 extreme edition 6-core processor to run modern games, trust me on this OP.

>+0.8ghz freq
>still somehow lower single core rating
>forgetting u can bclk overclock the i5 6400 to 4.4-4.5ghz almost doubling the single core rating.

fuking dumbshit

>provides no source for what his reddit friends say
>links to a thread on reddit AT ALL
Please go back to your containment website and never come back here.

FUCK YOU FUCKING IDIOT CUNT I WILL END YOU

You forgot to include your generic frog image mr.reddit.

I WILL FUCK YOU IN THE FACE WITH A FORK

Source: my asshole.

>It depends what GPU you pair it with and what level of performance you want.
It doesn't really matter much with DX12 now.

lurk more faggot

Sure, but most games are somewhat multithreaded these days. The 8350 actually holds its own just fine in all but the most horrendously single threaded titles (MMO's usually. Or games like SC2 which were compiled with Intel's bullshit and run worse on AMD unless you rename the AMD CPU to an Intel one.)

Makes me wish AMD just did an excavator FX 8 core really.

>comes in not far behind even Intel's best i5s and i7s
kek

see

The point is that they released another Steamroller CPU after the Excavator one for a higher price because their marketing department is fucking retarded. They've got a budget king nobody knows about because they'd rather push moarcoars and higher giggahertz memes than advertise their actual good products.

good luck trying to play Dwarf Fortress on an i5

They're probably doing it so people will jump on Zen instead and be more impressed.

Things are gonna get really interesting with that 40% better IPC thing.

Just making guesses but a 4-core Zen processor clocked at 3.5-3.8 Ghz would probably have ~8,000 in multi-core passmark and ~2,500 in single-core passmark which puts it pretty much on par with skylake i5 processors.

>instead of doing his own research, he decides that he is a lazy cock gargling faggot and comes to Sup Forums to get an answer
>thinks this is toms hardware or ltt forums

>recommending amd at all
>thinking amd will be just fine on a cpu dependant game like gta v
m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk

>posts a game without DX12 support

>Mfw i have a 9590
>Mfw it never gets hotter that 52c

i5's are not shit, but i7's are undeniably better. If you can, there's no reason not go get one

>i5's are not shit, but i7's are undeniably better.
They're not especially for gaming. Gaming won't benefit if you go from an i5 to an i7 (assuming both are running at the same frequency). Go see gaming benchmarks and you will see 99% of the time an i7 won't improve shit.

>If you can, there's no reason not go get one
The only reason to get an i7 is if you run VMs, that's it.

>muh dx12

>Go see gaming benchmarks and you will see 99% of the time an i7 won't improve shit

But that's wrong. I admit most games are shitty console ports badly optimized for PC, but they run better on i7 than i5, specially if you're judging framerate and mininum fps.

Case in point: youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxZiksWtRQ

The different isn't anything huge but it's there, stop spreading old data

>framerate

meant frametime

Oh sorry I thought you were talking about modern skylake i5 vs i7. Can you provide source on why skylake i7 is better than skylake i5 at the same frequency?

>posts a game still having optimizations done
bravo user

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

>cherrypicking
bravo user

There's a bunch of benchmarks on that channel, like this one below. Feel free to navigate there.

youtube.com/watch?v=EhaB1dqYv_I

>compares a sandy bridge i5 to an ivy bridge i7

Exactly, that's what you're doing.

>i5 and i7 are not at the same frequency
10/10 trolling m8

if you watched you'd see there's an i5 x i7 skylake on there too

Where did you get that graph? For the FX-6350 DX11 the average is 71 but the minimum is 75?

*Doubting intensifies

And people even replied!

6600K can bought on ebay for $210 new in box. Might as well spend the extra $20 and reap the 800mhz.

6600K owner here who upgraded from a phenom 965 @4ghz.

>tfw when your single threaded performance more than doubled.

i5 6600 + MSI Bazooka Plus + 1070 and you're still in your $700 price range.

The Motherboard offers everything you need from M.2 slot to USB 3.1 to great design overall.

And according to chart taken of Tom's hardware, you can rest assured that the 6600 won't bottleneck the 1070 at all.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EQOWVLxk0DOFXKfzCmz9lEZ-qpMb7mIvt8KUYek69A8/edit#gid=0

Damn, I did not know about the x845. Just downgraded my shit from Skylake to salvaged Maximus Hero z97, i3-4170 bclk'd to 3,8GHz and 2*2gb cl8 2000MHz oc mem. Waiting for tax refunds or Zen.