/pcbg/- PC Building General

>potato edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Significantly outdated "Good" and "Very Good" tiers
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/wnhgPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/BVtp3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/cHXVBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/WFQKhq
pcpartpicker.com/list/CmP8HN
youtube.com/watch?v=TtguubFmCwo
wccftech.com/amd-zen-8-core-4-core-cpus-leaked/
overclocking-tv.com/content/reviews/13393/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-fight-hyper-tx3-evo-vs-212-evo/attachment/results/
pcpartpicker.com/list/z8ZWr7
pcpartpicker.com/product/Fgwqqs/seasonic-power-supply-ss650km3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So here is current PC.
An user the other day was helping me with upgrades.
Which one of these is better.
pcpartpicker.com/list/wnhgPs
or
pcpartpicker.com/list/BVtp3F

one has an i5, the other an i3.... same GPU, you figure it out.

Well here's the problem, I don't know even know what those really are.

read the links in the OP, especially the bottom one.

Add 4GB 1600MHz RAM ($15)
Upgrade to used 83XX CPU ($100)
Buy cooler unless you get a Wraith with the CPU ($0-30)
Buy 240GB A-DATA SSD ($60)
Get the 6GB 1060 if you don't want to upgrade for a while. ($250)

Sell 7770/50 for $75, 4300 for $50

Total: $325

Here is my $300 budget A8 APU gaymen build I plan to make in about a month:

pcpartpicker.com/list/cHXVBP

Thoughts?

>7770/50
Meant 7770/90

Can you really not save up more money than that? That stuff is already old and outdated as fuck.

Alternatively a used second or third generation Intel CPU with a used GPU like a 960 would utterly destroy that APU shit.

Sucks, drop the cooler and get an i3 or wait for the Zen APUs if you need gfx

>Can you really not save up more money than that?
I actually have 3K in the bank not including my paid off credit card but I don't want to blow more than $300 right now.

>That stuff is already old and outdated as fuck.
Well better than anything else out there especially for playing vydia, I think that iGPU on that APU is pretty underrated.

>Alternatively a used second or third generation Intel CPU with a used GPU like a 960 would utterly destroy that APU shit.
I don't want used parts blowing up my build.

i3 sucks even more though because of the shit iGPU. I don't want to wait for zen desu.

In fact I just play to get an Rx 480 later on next year, turn off the iGPU, and play DX12 games.

So I bought the stuff in green already. The Titanium Mobo was too good to pass up on.

I already have an SSD that I am keeping from my current machine for the OS, I think I want a Mouse and Keyboard. What do you think so far?

That's the memest build I have ever seen, lmao

Want a new gaming rig

16 GBs DDR 4 ram
ASUS 1080

and that's all i know...

recommend me a good CPU + mobo combo?

Is it worth while getting an i7 over an i5?

Will be buying this week and offer photo as proof after purchase.

Hell i'll even throw in 10 bucks on paypal for the person that offers best advice/the gear i get.

>I actually have 3K in the bank
Unless you're still under your parents that's a tiny amount of money

>i3 sucks even more though because of the shit iGPU
Yeah, but it can play LoL or whatever indie games you want like Papers Please. The point is that the CPU does not suck, and you actually have an upgrade path

>In fact I just play to get an Rx 480 later on next year
An FM2+ socket mobo / CPU will severely bottleneck anything past a 380 because of PCIe lanes.

tl;dr you're a moron

you're basically throwing $300 out the window for something that can barely play the newest games on low settings when you could get something used for almost the same that would be 2-3 times faster.

and you would obviously get a fucking dedicated gpu with the i3 you tard.

but whatever, your money, i cant stop you.

PS. only the PSU can blow up the rest and that is one part you should not skimp on.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WFQKhq

I went for White and Black, gotta have the racial tension.

Only thing I am worried about is temps in that case, although I have been assured by multiple friends that it won't be an issue.

I said I plan to play DX12 games senpai which are supposed to rely on less CPU single thread performance right?

>PCIe lane issues
Can you provide source?

>Define S
>Meme

you can mark things as purchased with the cog wheel to the right.
enjoy your overpriced white themed PC

read the OP

you will have to buy a whole new PC for that and throw away your piece of shit paper weight APU box.

>implying he meant the case

What is so meme about my build you guys pls respons

overpriced white mobo.

Get the 1070 that's $50 cheaper
Even with more-than-2133MHz ram that motherboard is still too expensive, but it's too late now
Everything else looks decent

>you're basically throwing $300 out the window for something that can barely play the newest games on low settings
Benchmarks disagree with you.

>when you could get something used for almost the same that would be 2-3 times faster.
I don't want things blowing up my build, how many times do I have to repeat that?

>and you would obviously get a fucking dedicated gpu with the i3 you tard.
That would go over my $300 budget smartass.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/WFQKhq
>no case
>no SSD
Dam you got me, 10/10 trolling

The WD blacks are apparently loud, you sure you want that over a blue?
Get an SSD too

>720p
>lowest settings
havin a laff here

>gaming
>16 GBs DDR 4 ram
>ASUS 1080
You'll get no help from me

It's fine, get a 2TB HGST/Hitachi HDD

Can't find the exact source I remember (video), I was looking into budget build APUs / Athlons.

DX12 lightens the load on the CPU and uses more cores (up to eight). DX11 already uses four cores

Anyway you'll have absolutely zero upgrade potential with an FM2+ socket, in addition to the bottleneck

If you really want inter grated graphics you should look at AMD (don't) or wait until Kaby Lakes CPUs with Iris integrated graphics come out

>you will have to buy a whole new PC for that and throw away your piece of shit paper weight APU box.
Will I? I do plan on getting an Rx 480 later on next year to play DX12 games on 1080p high-max settings mind you. Please enlighten me why an A8 with the iGPU turned off and the base set to 3.8GHz + Rx 480 is a bad idea with DX12 games?

Or was the whole "DX12 will more efficiently use multi-core CPU resources or less CPU resources overall" things just a meme?

That's literally a 720p low setting benchmark

>I don't want things blowing up my build
m80

I. Plan. On. Getting. An. Rx 480. Later. Next. Year.

It came with RAM bruh. It isn't overpriced.

pcpartpicker.com/list/CmP8HN
Is this build okay?

>Can't find the exact source I remember (video), I was looking into budget build APUs / Athlons.
I see well let me know when you find the source but until then what you said holds no merit for me.

>Anyway you'll have absolutely zero upgrade potential with an FM2+ socket, in addition to the bottleneck
I don't plan on upgrading the CPU though, just the GPU with a dedicated Rx 480 graphics card next year.

Nah, I don't like burning money. I'll stick with AMD.

>integrated graphics
now compare to a dedicated graphics card, you fucking retard
>no case/ssd
just add it then, it will still be several times more powerful than your shitbox APU for only 30% more cost.

>HURR STOB TRELLING ME LELELLELLEE XDDDDDD
KYS, im done, if you dont want to listen, go be a fucking retard somewhere else.

the CPU part of the APU will bottleneck the fuck out of a 480 you stupid fuck and the you will have to upgrade the CPU which will again cost more and still not be as good as the intel counterpart

fuck off retard

>the CPU part of the APU will bottleneck the fuck out of a 480 you stupid fuck
In DX12 games? Do you have a source for that?

>An FM2+ socket mobo / CPU will severely bottleneck anything past a 380 because of PCIe lanes.
>because of PCIe lanes.
This is a new one

yeah but i'd get the NH-D14/15 for almost the same price and is better

>implying there are more than a handful of dx12 games atm
>implying they're even optimized
>implying the CPU in the APU is even half as powerful as an i3
>implying you know anything about price/performance
>implying you're not wasting money

>>implying there are more than a handful of dx12 games atm
>>implying they're even optimized
>>implying the CPU in the APU is even half as powerful as an i3
>>implying you know anything about price/performance
>>implying you're not wasting money
Source: my ass.

read up on how APU+mobo+RAM work

>Gears 4
>Battlefield 1
>Not Optimized

Ok. The only meme DX12 game is Ashes of AMDfags and no one worth a shit cares about it anyway.

>im too retarded to google something so simple as a benchmark
>>>/leddit/

Do what you want tard

Looks good

read a fucking benchmark, even the 960 beat the 1060 in DX12 for fuck sake

Yeah guys, don't build for DX12 or Vulkan now, just get a new GPU in two years when DX11 is phased out.

lol this.

also the RX 480 did significantly worse in DX12

If the purpose of thermal paste is to improve heat transfer between the CPU and heat sink, why don't they just design the CPU and heat sink as one solid unit?

Your damage control is showing.

You spewing buzzwords that you don't even fully understand.
Tell me, how does the PCIe lanes from a Bolton FHS relate to dGPU performance and what parts of the CPU/motherboard/chipset/RAM do they involve? Describe them to me.

>also the RX 480 did significantly worse in DX12
Benchmarks don't agree with you.

youtube.com/watch?v=TtguubFmCwo

I wasn't disagreeing the card was shit, for someone telling me to read things you sure should learn to read.

Bought a 4GB Sapphire RX 480. My motherboard has a PCIEX4 and PCIEX16 slot. Which one should I plug it in?

16. try reading a manual

>retards buying the 1060 with its gimped 192 bit bus
>hasn't been seen in a desktop gaymen card since 2009

>192bit
>3GB
>10% less CUDA
>driver gimping
>$100 extra for gsync monitors
>goys still buy nvidia

I can get one (or both) of these PCs as compensation for work for a shitty firm, should I do it? They're obviously heavily discounted.

>Intel Core i7-6700T 2.8GHz Processor
>H170M-Based Micro-ATX Motherboard
>16GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
>480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>3TB 5400rpm 3.5" Hard Disk Drive
>nVidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB Video Card
>OEM Micro-ATX Chassis
>CWT GPT 250W Power Supply

$340

>Dual Intel Xeon X5680 3.33GHz Processor
>X58-Based Extended-ATX Motherboard
>48GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory
>Dual 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>Dual 2TB 7200rpm 3.5" Hard Disk Drive
>Dual nVidia Titan Black 6GB Video Card
>OEM Chassis
>OEM CWT 1000W Power Supply

$410

get both and take the best from each and sell the rest

this

Second one and sell the Titans

>telling someone they're retarded for buying shit tier parts when they could spend 30% more for 200-300% better performance
>damage controlling

>used Titan Blacks
>~$360 on ebay
>each
Gee I wonder which one I should get

>>telling someone they're retarded for buying shit tier parts when they could spend 30% more for 200-300% better performance
And 200-300% more explosions in their build.

thanks janitor/mod

that's not how computers work

Should I get an i7-6700K on black friday or wait for AMD Zen? I want 8 threads.

Definitely wait for Zen. The 8-core zen variant will trade blows with the $1,000 i7-5960X for a lower price.

personally i'd wait as kaby lake is also coming around the same time as zen early next year and it could mean significant changes compared to earlier releases as this is the first time amd has a completely new architecture

what about the leaked bench that showed it didnt even beat this generation i7?

>waiting for A Massive Disappointment
Seriously, they always promise way too much and never ever deliver. See . It's not happening. We all know it's not happening. It'll be strongly competitive at whatever price point it's at until Intel drops their next line and beats it by pennies. Same as last time, and the time before, and the time before that.

yeah but the thing is it will be another competition for the best deals since both kaby and zen is coming out around the same time.

wccftech.com/amd-zen-8-core-4-core-cpus-leaked/
retards

here's my spud:
Athlon II X3 460 (0verclocked to 3.7 ghz, stock cooler, TX3 enroute via the post)
8 gigs DDR3
XFX Radeon 6870HD 2gb
500 gb 2.5" WD Caviar Blue 7200 rpm
500 watt Antec Earthwatts Green PSU
cast-off OEM HP case
Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit.
i play games at 1360x768 at around medium or higher (my TV is 1080i/720p @32").

An i5 4460s and an R9 280x set me back 280$
And I can do High/Very High 1080p at 50-60fps in GTA V
Spend more, get your dollars worth
That's basically throwing 300$ away for something you can do on an Xbox 360 for 50$

>if we account for the clock speed disparity Zen would outperform the FX 8350 by 98% at the same clock speed. Offering nearly double the perforormance with the same number of cores, at the same clock speed. Which puts it squarely in the territory of Intel’s $1000 8 core i7 6900K and 5960X CPUs.

>IF

TX3 is shit you should have gotten the 212.

That's not good news at all for intel. Anyway we will see soon enough if AMD did something worthwhile in those 4 years of Zen development with Jim Keller (aka certified shit wrecker).

>That's basically throwing 300$ away for something you can do on an Xbox 360 for 50$
Source: my ass.

So I was debating upgrading my gpu from a 380 to a 470. Will this upgrade be bottlenecked by my amd cpu?

based jim keller. i hope amd doesnt do a repeat of history after he left.

compare benchmarks

S-so, i-is it possible to build a potato rig like in OP's pic?

I'm starting my first ever build, I picked up a sapphire rx 480 (8gb) for $229 today, did I do good? Will be playing at 1080p/60hz. Probably i5 6500 along with it.

What's the minimum wattage PSU I should get for this, and what would I need if I ever decided to get another 480 for crossfire in the future?

>I'm starting my first ever build, I picked up a sapphire rx 480 (8gb) for $229 today, did I do good?
Fuck yeah, non-reference 480 8GB cards are going for like $300 in most places.

>Will be playing at 1080p/60hz. Probably i5 6500 along with it.
It would be better if you waited for Zen desu, it's only a couple of months away.

>What's the minimum wattage PSU I should get for this, and what would I need if I ever decided to get another 480 for crossfire in the future?
430 watt PSU would probably be the minimum. 600w minimum if you wanted to crossfire later on.

>It would be better if you waited for Zen desu

I haven't done any research beyond what's out now, care to give a quick tl;dr on them? I didn't buy anything else yet, just the gpu since it was on sale. I'm planning on getting parts slowly when I can find good deals

see

yeah that's nice price for the 8GB version

crossfire is a meme but something like 600W will do it

it's a knock off of the TX3, actually. $20 to my door was hard to resist.

>crossfire is a meme

I know it's not ideal, but I don't have money for something like a 1070 or 1080 at the moment, so it would be nice to have the option to add a second 480 in the future rather than buying a whole new, more powerful card

it's actually better to sell your card and buy a single better one

overclocking-tv.com/content/reviews/13393/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-fight-hyper-tx3-evo-vs-212-evo/attachment/results/

212 is better

maybe, but i set a budget on this one - parts budget wasn't gonna go past $200 Canadian on this one (low income at the moment due to being unable to work due to advanced arthritis, im awaiting surgery to help a few things), and that included the value for parts that were hand-me-down or salvage. The stock cooler is 'ok' for now, but with the extra fans i added to the case (putting them on a switch for 'game mode' because they sound like a jet engine together), and the cooler i have on the way will work well with all of these fans running together to keep things cool.

pcpartpicker.com/list/z8ZWr7
Is the current PSU I have in my build overkill? PCP says I have a draw of 445 watts.

no but the platinum rating is a bit. go with a gold and you save like $50 and still get a really good PSU

Somewhat, yes. You could get a 550 W one if you want. But it's not a huge deal, you'll be fine with the one you've picked.

he has a K cpu, and with two 1070s he wouldnt have a lot of room to OC

pcpartpicker.com/product/Fgwqqs/seasonic-power-supply-ss650km3
I went with this one. The GPU's cooling system is a little crazy and requires two power cables

Why would he get two 1070? Nigga just get a 1080 if you want one, otherwise wait for 1170.

Is it worth it to buy or just build a pc?

>2 1070s
What? The AMP! Extreme isn't that good.