/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasser_(computer_worm)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfce4-notifyd
github.com/GNOME/notification-daemon
launchpad.net/notify-osd
github.com/lxde/lxqt-notificationd
github.com/linuxdeepin/deepin-notifications
github.com/mate-desktop/mate-notification-daemon/
knopwob.org/dunst/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bash
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Time to remove all commies from the thread
hey you, get the f*ck out of here!!!

how to install Arch Linux (the easy way)

REMINDER: This is a friendly thread.

everyone here is my friend.

stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?

REMINDER: Install Gentoo.

REMINDER: No arch babies allowed in friendly threads.

alright my dudes i need some input

i need a pdf reader that has the following features:

1. continue reading where left off
2. table of contents
3. tabs support (preferably)
4. actually renders the documents properly (chromium's pdf.js fails for some)
5. i don't want to install 500 gnome/kde dependencies

i've only tried mupdf, chromium's builtin and firefox's builtin. help

What would be the most efficient method to encrypt my partitions AFTER a complete installation?

Fedora 23, if it matters.

I would like to do so without having to re-install, if at all possible.

REMINDER: Never use "NetworkManager"(tm) and purge it if it's taking up 1's and 0's on your system.

Should I stop using android because of the dirty cow exploit?

You should top using android anyway.

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

have you looked at wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince

The only ones I know that have all those features are Evince and Okular but as you've mentioned they pull a lot of dependencies.

Free software has a lot of good things to offer, proprietary software has the highest performing drivers, and makes hardware interactions faster than free software. Fuck philosophy, we live in a world of pure bloat and uneeded and redundant features. Everything sucks. If you want a system that runs fast, stable, and secure you need to use both free and proprietary software.

The lightweight Ubuntu variants.

I don't *need* to do anything.
Now fuck off.

Nonfree pig disgusting.

I strongly approve of FLOSS, but I also believe in using what's best for the job. I don't see a problem with developers being able to sell software, and it can create many awesome things. It's not required to only have things one way. While I think FLOSS for everything sounds great, I don't like the idea of disposing of some of the great stuff I've seen developers do. It just doesn't seem right.

100% agreed.

I downloaded a game in zip format and it keeps complaining about missing libraries. I have to start the game, check terminal output for what it's missing and install the 32bit version of that package and repeat untill it doesn't complain any more. Is there an easy way to install these packages in one go?

You're using proprietary imageboard software.
You NEED to use it to post
:^)

How can proprietary software ever be good? It actually stopps you being productive when you are only allowed to use a program in the way the developer designed it.

So is anyone using Snaps? There do in fact appear to be updated snap packages for many applications, making them viable for, say, Ubuntu LTS.

snaps is cancer, invented for normalfags who miss downloading random .msi installers

What else do you expect to achieve using this proprietary imageboard software, other then posting?

It's worked for MS, but that's mostly because they where really good sales people by flooding the market with their products.

When you want to do something in that way and it's vastly more efficient than what you already have, it can be good. You have the choice to get it or not — that's the entire point.

Non-free software doesn't need hours of configuring and workarounds to get a network connection with ethernet.

I just installed Mint18, a few teething problems from being on Xenial but otherwise bretty gud.

I went with Cinnamon but it was a coin flip since I didn't really know much about Cinnamon and MATE.

What are the pros and cons of them both?

But that makes no sense. For one, they're contained, unlike random malware you install on Windows.

there are no good PDF readers for linux

Don't you miss hunting for malware? I miss it. It's like playing a hacking wargame. Searching the registry for bad entries, virus scanners, ccleaner. :D I guess I should get a Windows VM, just for the fun.

I haven't used them but they seem interesting, especially for lazy devs like valve and vmware.

Hello?

>highest performing drivers, and makes hardware interactions faster than free software
And why is this, you goddamn retard? AMD drivers not performing well on Linux nor FOSS alternatives isn't due to FOSS, it's do to AMD and proprietary licensing. Look at Intel graphic drivers - they support open source, and their drivers just work.

Do you remember sasser? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasser_(computer_worm)

>QUICK
>CTRL+R shutdown -a
I guess literally everyone was infected that days.

>Cinnamon and MATE
they where both born from gnome 2 transforming to gnome 3 but both went a little different paths

Cinnamon has traces of the GNOME 3 look to it.

The Mate desktop environment is more menu-centric.

>>>/friendly windows thread/

>no good PDF readers for linux
I quite like Okulus, it's got the core functionality.

I don't think there's a middle-ground between light-weight only reads PDFs and PDFbotnetOS-AlsoCanOrderPizzas-bloatware.

Foxit used to be the goto pdf reader in windows to avoid bloat but those days are long gone and it's almost as bad as adobe now.

I just reinstalled windows for gaming and I'm probably going to try and find a port of Okulus for it.

If you know the name of the packages, the yes. Check the games documentation. It should list the prerequisites needed. If it doesn't, then they are shit devs.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

the latest adobe reader for windows is actually pretty good

the day i uninstalled realplayer it forever gave me odc about leftover files/registry keys.

pedantic af, we all know

>He uses amd
Well, for those of us on real hardware, the FOSS alternatives are shit as well. Try making money selling a totally free and open source GPU, without being outclassed by your billionair competitors. It's over son, FOSS lost, and there's nothing anyone can do.

Anyone have suggestions? I've found some ideas searching, but I wanted the /fglt/ version.

>I have to start the game, check terminal output for what it's missing and install the 32bit version of that package and repeat untill it doesn't complain any more. Is there an easy way to install these packages in one go?
Yeah, sort of. You could adapt a script I saved to do that for steam.

#!/bin/bash

#
# Script that creates a directory with symlinks to a set of 32bits libraries for Steam
#
# Remember to run this script from ~/.local/share/Steam
# Tempora mutantur...
# Remember to run this script from ~/.steam
DIR="$HOME/.steam"
pushd $DIR
mkdir -p $PWD/myLibrariesLinks

echo "Created Libraries directory. Remember to execute \"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/myLibrariesLinks:\$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" before start steam!

dependencies=$(ldd ubuntu12_32/*.so | grep "not found" | sed "s|\s\(lib.*\) => not found|\1 |" | sort | uniq)

echo "Creating symlinks for: $dependencies"

for i in $dependencies
do
object=$(locate $i | grep "$i\$" | grep "i386\|ubuntu12_32" | grep -v "x86_64")
object=($object)
if [ -z ${object[0]} ]; then
echo "Could not locate $i!"
else
echo "Linking $i to ${object[0]} "
ln -s ${object[0]} $PWD/myLibrariesLinks/$i
fi
done

popd

None.
reinstall if you want FDE

>steam
what is wrong with you, just run the games without that cuck client

I don't think that's the case, the GPU drivers have been (very slowly) getting better.

>drm

Whoever wrote this should learn shell scripting.

Can you even encrypt after install if it's not just the /home folder

can we be civil this thread pretty please

The easiest method would be reinstalling, since the installer would do all the work for you.

There is no efficient method, that I know. All you can do is move everything off, wipe, encrypt, move back etc, or similar plans. I've done this before.

I have all my other partitions encrypted, but root is too much work.

>He uses amd
I never said I did.
>real hardware
>current x86 platform
Enjoy your hardware-level rootkits via UEFI and anti-theft modules, as well as hardware-level backdoors operating above user-level thanks to Intel ME and AMD AMT. You're a fucking retard.

How do I make a synchronized, encrypted file storage with support for untrusted nodes?

I'm sure theres a package in the AUR.

is this the new meme

>UEFI
What do you take me for? I'm not one for getting my asshole fucked either. My x58 motherboard doesn't even support that shit.

What's wrong with UEFI?

nothing, they have autism. ignore them.

NSA can literally upload files from your machine while it's unplugged.

source?

His ass

I'm serious. That's spooky if they can do it. I only even just turn off my power source. Now i'm questioning if that's even worth it.

>what is wrong with you, just run the games without that cuck client
Because half the games I play are only available on steam and even the rest are (usually) easier to run on steam.

Steam on windows is great, on linux...not so much.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

Read "Criticism" and look at the source links from there, it will lead you to what devs are saying about UEFI backdoors and capabilities.

Thanks, anons.

>root is too much work.
This. Figure I'll just back my shit up, encrypt during the re-install, then restore.

What is this applet to receive notifications on the panel?

xfce4-notifyd ?

It's a notification daemon, most DE have their own, here's a bunch of them:
goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfce4-notifyd
github.com/GNOME/notification-daemon
launchpad.net/notify-osd
github.com/lxde/lxqt-notificationd
github.com/linuxdeepin/deepin-notifications
github.com/mate-desktop/mate-notification-daemon/
knopwob.org/dunst/

I'm using Fedora. How do I only show available packages(not installed) with dnf search

Which one is used on Fedora LXDE?

>Steam on windows is great, on linux...not so much.
On this note, any else have issues running Steam on Xenial based distros?

LOOK AT ME
I NEED HELP

I'm trying to run a ruby script by using a shebang instead of manually calling the ruby interpreter and using the script file as an argument.

Anyways, the shebang that I am using is
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

I have verified that this path points to the ruby interpreter. I have changed the file permissions to make the script executable. The problem is that when the ruby script is run, it throws many errors.
After fighting this for a while, I started to get a feeling that it was calling the bash interpreter instead of the ruby interpreter. So I wrote this as a test:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

echo "If this works, I'll scream"
ls

This script runs fine, meaning that the shebang is referring the script to the bash interpreter instead of the ruby interpreter. I'm so confused. Does anyone here know what's going on?

Probably the GNOME one.

It's just called "notification-daemon".

probably lxqt-notificationd

or

Are you using Arch Linux?

lol

No, I'm actually using a minimal install of Ubuntu. Have you heard of something like this before in regards to Arch?

>Xenial based distros
What is this?
I guess he's just trolling.

arch is pretty much retarded; they point sh to bash, python to python3 and I wouldn't be surprised if they also fuck around with ruby lol

ruby is symlinked to perl which is symlinked to sh which is symlinked to bash on arch

>sh to bash

No way that's right.

Just download any example ruby script and run it.

>Xenial based distros
>What is this?
Xenial is Ubuntu 16. It seems to have a few teething problems. I think 14.04 was broken at first too.

>#!/usr/bin/env ruby
Step 1 in debugging, simplify the code.
Evaluate the path for ruby manually and use that, if that works, continue with other options.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bash

>If Bash is invoked with the name sh, it tries to mimic the startup behavior of historical versions of sh, including POSIX compability.

At least it uses bash with the --posix flag but that's still pretty dumb though.

Yeah, I did those things beforehand. Just for an example:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

puts 'Thanks for helping!'

def incredibly_simple_func
end

returns the errors:
./admin.rb:4: puts: command not found
./admin.rb:6: def: command not found
./admin.rb:8: end: command not found

This shows that it is not just an error with the standard library, but even the keywords of the language are undefined.

Meanwhile, typing env ruby test.rb executes the script perfectly, outputting Thanks for helping!

This is weird, right?

What says: type -a ruby?

That's not what I'm talking about.
I mean run the script using /usr/bin/ruby or whatever first.

Personally, I think it's something with env doing something weird when run in that context.

Supplying the script the full path via
#!/usr/bin/ruby

yields the same errors as using the shebang with env.

type -a ruby returns /usr/bin/ruby.

Please show me were you can download sh. On every distro I know it's a symlink to bash, dash etc. sh isn't an implementation.

I'd be interested in what your distro uses.