SSD IS A FUCKING MEME

>Have Windows 10 installed on an SSD since beginning
>try Windows 10 on a 160GB WD Blue 7200RPM mechanical hard drive
>Microsoft Edge launches instantly

How could I have been so blind? I was in the "SSD master race" for so long and thought mechanical hard drives were slow.

BRB buying a 3TB mechanical for OS and ditching my expensive as shit 120GB intel SSD fo

You could just use both.

Plus that HDD will die within 3-5 years, if not sooner.

I notice a 3 second difference in boot time on my Green.

I notice a 4 second difference in object pop-in on WoW, one of the worst offenders of bad optimization known to man.

I notice a 5 second difference in load times on Call of Pripyat.

They are pretty much 100% a meme. I know you are probably baiting. I know others are going to say I am baiting, but it is just such a small difference for a decrease in case sounds and a huge price difference it just isn't worth it.

>not using linux

found your problem.

>Windows 10
Found your problem

>Had my current HDD since 2007
>Still no issues in any programs I use to check for drive errors

Yeah man they all fail within 5. Hard Drives aren't SSDs you don't wake up to find it dead, they go out like an old man.

my old man went out high on heroin.

>wake up one day
>hear CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

OP here

i uninstalled the "Microsoft solitaire collection", "get microsoft office" and other bloatware.

They were reinstalled a few minutes later because windows 10 is installing some cumulative update. My computer didn't even restart yet

fuck windows 10 desu

I recently bought AMD Radeon R7 SSD (240GB) because my 1TB HDD died after only year and 8 months. SSD was huge improvement to all aspects of my rig.

MS has done great work over the past few years optimizing startup / launch times for both the OS & applications. Props to them for doing so.

>BRB buying a 3TB mechanical for OS and ditching my expensive as shit 120GB intel SSD fo

This looks like bait, but I'll bite

A 120G SSD makes me think you're using older technology. Recent SSDs, namely the 850 EVO, are significantly better than anything released even 2-3 years ago.

There's also the problem that AHCI was never intended for SSDs, but that's a different problem which is being addressed by more M.2+NVMe adoption.

To dismiss it as "a meme" is pretty ignorant. But it's obvious your workload doesn't need a large amount of IOPS/Bandwidth, so go for it.

MEMES ASIDE

IF AN SSD FAILS ITS FUCKING OGRE

WHEN HDDS FAIL THE DATA IS ALMOST ALWAYS RECOVERABLE

>>Microsoft Edge launches instantly
thats because it's loaded into ram you tard
nothing would load "instantly" even on an ssd.

Nah man this is for example difference in photoshop loading times with hdd and hdd+eboostr with usb 3.0 stick.

The later combo is still like many times slower than ssd yet gets you 50% faster loading times than hdd alone.

I have never understood why people would bitch about SSDs.
I am so happy with my SSDs in raid0. Been using it since 2012 and works perfectly...

I run a RAID0 of WD Black 2TB for my root, a RAID0 of old 500GB WDs for scratch space and have all important data rsync'd to a 6TB Hitachi enterprise. Super super important data is then rsync'd to a RAID6 across my LAN

Fuck SSDs in desktops. only place they make sense is in laptops.

Got chinese ssd in 2012 and it's still running strong.

ssd adds snappiness to the system you can't describe with numbers

Other way around dingus

I've never had a HDD die, what the fuck do you do with yours?

My old vista era 500GB hard drive is still being used for storage in my current pc.

3x15krpm sas drives in hardware raid 5 are still slower than even shittiest chinese ssd.

Idk after using a good SSD, all hard drives feel dated like USB 2.0, 720p monitors and iPhones.

KEK THE DATA IS STILL INTACT ON THOSE PLATTERS

GOOD LUCK IN THOSE BUSTED FLASH CELLS

This. SSD for boot devices HDD for storage Tape drives for archive

Have fun super gluing your platters back together. Or maybe you can buff out those write head scratches?

SSDs are so cheap now you can use them as main storage and a HDD just for large media files. That's what I do anyways

SSD: OS, games, programs, basically everything
HDD: Movies, shows and 10 bit chinese cartoons.

Are you using DDR3 ram or DDR4/5?

Can older LTO drives be accessed like hdd or only LTO5 and up?

>RAID 5 with 3 devices

You're a special kind of stupid.

Why is that?

HEAD CRASHES ARE STILL FAR MORE RECOVERABLE THAN DEAD FLASH

WHEN FLASH DIES ITS DEADDDDDD

RAID5 with 3 devices is like a RAID0 of two partitions on the same drive or a legitimate Clinton voter.

It makes no sense in the real world. Anything less than 4 drives is retarded.

Yeah when it is dead it is dead, but not before giving you a shit load of warnings before that happens. Plus, it could just fall back to read only if its working good enough.

I don't get it.

You get one drive fault tolerance, two drive capacity and 2xread speed.

I had my first ssd die in a little under 3 years

Was a cheaper SP550 Premier Pro Adata but it had like 15tb+ written to it

>Have Win10 installed on a 1TB WD Black HDD
>1:20m bootup time
>programs take about 3 seconds to launch

>Change HDD to SDD, reinstal windows 10
>7s bootup time
>programs launch instantly

I want the "SSD is a meme" meme to die.

I hate the crunching sounds of a HDD followed by the 5-12 seconds it takes to wake up to load something. Its in good health so I don't know whats the issue.

Nothing beats swapping on hdd.

It's like running in your dream.

typical WD drive

>500gb
>storage

itt: people who have never actully looked at write speeds

Old HDDs don't die, they just fade away.

>implying windows doesn't cache often used software like edge, start menu and many other things after boot

Now try launching Photoshop and chrome while copying a large amount of small files and tell me how fucking quick your spinning shit is.

It's easier to back stuff up you know.

Windows 10 boots faster because when you shut it down it doesnt really shut down.
I havent noticed this before I dualbooted my lenovo ideapad I noticed whe II was under Ubuntu the windows partition was unacessible.
Turns out while you have clicked in setting something called "faster boot mode" your pc never really turns off.
After disabling it, booting time went from 45 seconds to 1,5 - 2 minutes.
I shit you not.

It's not a meme
SSD is for speed, install your OS and applications on it. Anything that needs to go fast
Use your 3TB HDD for media

>10 bit chinese cartoons
bur

Please explain why you're screaming like a retard.

If you're not a power user, sure.

Between loading up fonts, InDesign and Photoshop documents, browser refreshes, and virtual machines, SSD is smooth as fuck.