Why is everyone with any amount of programming skill such pieces of shit with a "holier than thou" complex to beginners?

Why is everyone with any amount of programming skill such pieces of shit with a "holier than thou" complex to beginners?
Like, holy shit, even professor's and tutors are like this.
I can't for the life of be figure out how to make this calendar program work given our constraints (can't use array, or Zeller's congruence, etc.).
I could pastebin the project, but goddamn I just hate this entire subject because everyone just wants you to magic up some bullshit from nowhere instead of FUCKING TEACHING YOU HOW TO CODE GODDAMMIT.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Dh4VTwBq
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Man I feel for you, when I was made to do a calendar project in programming class it was bullshit that we could not use the Python's build-in library functionality. I get that I'm supposed to learn some shit but like just fuck me up with a better project like create a game...

All I need is for this dumb nested loop to work. I've already put hours of work into this, most of it fruitless because I had no guidance at fucking all.
But damn, how am I suppose to do any of this without someone who knows teaching me? I didn't fucking pay hundreds of dollars to not learn programming because people just spout fucking nonsense that doesn't work or the fucking fundamental basics that if you had actually traced my fucking code LIKE YOU MAKE ME DO ON QUIZZES AND TESTS YOU PIECE OF SHIT maybe you would have actually been able to address the fucking problem I'm having.
Like holy fuck, I think I was stuck on getting the right date for a few days because I didn't realise one fucking character was off. Wow, maybe if I had some expert with a degree look it over they would have seen my error instead of fucking asking me if I KNOW THE FUCKING MATH OPERATORS THEY'RE RIGHT THERE IN MY CODE YOU FUCKING PATRONIZING CUNT.

I seriously had a computer science tutor, who was being paid to play fucking pokemon on the desktop before I came up, tell me to loop everything using the milliseconds from epoch when I already had it perfectly working in days since epoch. He wasted at least thirty minutes of my time, with me vainly hoping that he would eventually get to the point and actually help me with my specific problem.
It's as if any time someone looks at your code and can't figure out the problem you're having, even if you specifically tell them what section you're having problems with, they just return some platitude that they've remembered about the problem that doesn't help one fucking bit.
I'm a Math major, and my classmates in mathematics actually share ideas and notes if you miss a day. The instructors bend over backwards actually teaching the material.
One of my classmates in comp sci is literally a mouth-breathing aspie that hyperventilates every five minutes for no reason making me fear he's five minutes from fucking gunning us all down, and a girl that's twice my weight and half my side that picks at her skin all class period.
I just want to fucking die.

>FUCKING TEACHING YOU HOW TO CODE GODDAMMIT
They did teach you how to code. Now you are being required to demonstrate what you know. If that's too hard for you, maybe you should pick a different subject. Computer Science is over-saturated anyways.

You need to get discipline user. Perfect timing.

Just get fucking pussy already you fucking loser. holy shit OP, why did you write this shit on our technology board?

I only need this one class.
And no, a powerpoint of slides strictly about the example programs in the book != teaching me how to code.
I could have just bought the book for much less and gotten the exact same experience.
Besides, is the recourse for when a student has difficultly with a problem really suppose to be throwing up your hands and saying, "Sorry, sport, you should know this because I know this."

I'm just so close to completing this project all by myself but godforbid a beginner programmer doesn't know how to balance a dozen variables to make a perfect calendar without calling the calendar functions.
Hey, actually, is there a way to see the source code for the calendar functions in java? Maybe I'll just HACK INTO THE MAINFRAME.

Most programmers are autists who are failures in every other aspect of their lives. (keyword most, calm your tits with your anecdotes)

Autists are not good at explaining things, and are rather defensive when it comes to letting people into their world. The truth is programming is pretty simple work at the end of the day, but if the normalfags ever realized that the jig would be up and these guys who have achieve notoriety, success, and respect would go back to where they were in society before computers came around: working the lowest shit tier jobs and/or in the nuthouse. Some of them were even castrated.

It's happening and nothing can stop it. The autist's got too haughty by automating the jobs so now some of the normies are actually doing computer stuff.

Oh yeah I promised a pastebin.
Here you go, if you're bored and savvy enough you could problem knock this out in a half hour.
Go ahead and mock me for how dumb I am for not being able to do the last bit with the days of the month for the current month.
pastebin.com/Dh4VTwBq

Same here. A few of my teachers are stuck up fags.

Did you try posting your code in /dpt/, or even here? Someone with too much time on their hands will probably help, but you have to actually post your code and the instructions, and not just tiny little meaningless snippets, or try to explain in words something you don't quite understand yet.

I can't really relate unfortunately (or fortunately?), the instructors I had were all very nice people that had genuine interest in the subject and were willing to help, and I came in to formal programming classes with basic self-taught knowledge.

The problem is left to you to solve because programming is problem-solving.

t. fag

For introductory classes, they teach you the basics of your programming language (if statements, loops, functions, etc...) and you have to use that for your basic assignments. If you know how to write a function, how to call a function, how to write a loop, and how to do conditional execution of code, you already have enough information about how to approach these problems.

Nah, I only made one thread by just posting with the paste bin. I think it only got one reply about using modulo for the minutes, hours, and seconds, which was the easy part I had already done. Then I was a dumb fuck and couldn't find the small error in my conditionals that was fucking up my calculation for
I'm just stuck on the nested loop for the actually days of the current month calendar.
Here's my code though
public class DateAndTime
{
public static int dayOfWeek (int dayOfWeek, final long DAYS_SINCE_EPOCH)
{
for (int i = 1; i

>FUCKING TEACHING YOU HOW TO CODE GODDAMMIT
You don't go to school to "learn how to code". That's what pajeets do. You don't want to be a pajeet do you?

Most programmers I have met are both very helpful, and also self taught. They are more than willing to give out helpful information should someone be failing while making a genuine effort to learn something. Nobody expects handouts, but if you're beaten to the ground, there's usually a hand reaching down to help you get up.

Try and figure out what you don't understand about the /algorithm/ that you're supposed to be implementing. Your prof should be able to help with that. If not, then you need to figure out another way to solve the problem. Keep at it user, you'll get it.

public static void main(String[] args)
{
int day = 1;
int dayOfWeek = 4;
int month = 1;
int year = 1970;
long numOfLeap = 0;
long milliseconds = System.currentTimeMillis();
long seconds = (milliseconds/1000)%60;
long minutes = (milliseconds/1000/60)%60;
long hours = (milliseconds/1000/60/60)%24-5;
final long DAYS_SINCE_EPOCH = milliseconds/1000L/60L/60L/24L;
final long YEARS_SINCE_EPOCH = milliseconds/1000L/60L/60L/24L/365L;
long daysInCurrentYear = 0;
year += YEARS_SINCE_EPOCH;

for (int i = 1970; i

Agreed.
Are you trying a double for loop to generate the 2d calendar?

System.out.print("The current date and time is ");
if (dayOfWeek == 0)
System.out.print("Sunday, ");
if (dayOfWeek == 1)
System.out.print("Monday, ");
if (dayOfWeek == 2)
System.out.print("Tuesday, ");
if (dayOfWeek == 3)
System.out.print("Wednesday, ");
if (dayOfWeek == 4)
System.out.print("Thursday, ");
if (dayOfWeek == 5)
System.out.print("Friday, ");
if (dayOfWeek == 6)
System.out.print("Saturday, ");

if (month == 1)
System.out.print("January ");
if (month == 2)
System.out.print("February ");
if (month == 3)
System.out.print("March ");
if (month == 4)
System.out.print("April ");
if (month == 5)
System.out.print("May ");
if (month == 6)
System.out.print("June ");
if (month == 7)
System.out.print("July ");
if (month == 8)
System.out.print("August ");
if (month == 9)
System.out.print("September ");
if (month == 10)
System.out.print("October ");
if (month == 11)
System.out.print("November ");
if (month == 12)
System.out.print("December ");

System.out.print(+day+", "+year+" at ");
if (hours > 12) {
hours -= 12;
System.out.println(+hours+ ":"+minutes+":"+seconds+" p.m.");
}
else
System.out.println(+hours+ ":"+minutes+":"+seconds+" a.m.");

>waaah hold my hand
I know what you mean by "teaching you how to code". You mean "tell me to do this, then this, then this." and then you're finished. No, that's not how this should work.
fuck off

>WAAAAH WHY WON'T ANYONE SPOONFEED ME ANSWERS.

Millennials in a nutshell.

The day variable is just a place holder to help me construct the nested loop.
if (month == 1)
System.out.println("January ");
if (month == 2)
System.out.println("February ");
if (month == 3)
System.out.println("March ");
if (month == 4)
System.out.println("April ");
if (month == 5)
System.out.println("May ");
if (month == 6)
System.out.println("June ");
if (month == 7)
System.out.println("July ");
if (month == 8)
System.out.println("August ");
if (month == 9)
System.out.println("September ");
if (month == 10)
System.out.println("October ");
if (month == 11)
System.out.println("November ");
if (month == 12)
System.out.println("December ");

System.out.println("------------------");
System.out.println("Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat");
for (int j = 1; j < 5; j++) {
for (int i = 1; i < 7; i++) {
}
System.out.print(" "+day+" ");
}
System.out.println();
}
}
}

Look up switch statements, it will make you code look nicer, especially all the if statements.

Exactly! I'm just really stuggling with how to do that in the confines of the project.

I know about switch statements, thanks though.
I'm not really sure how they would help make this project look nicer though, so I just used ifs even when a case would work.

Stop whining op.

They did teach you the first part of programming which is how to do it.

Now they're asking you to show that you can apply the knowledge.

No different from any other skill or trade.

this is just awful, this takes more processing data than dividing by zero.

Nah, if I was like that I would have just ctrlc+ctrlv'd the first thing that came up on google that sort of looked appropriate.
I actually want to learn how to do this.
I've also been absent against my will for a month so I'm working overtime to get back on track.
My inability to focus on work unfortunately coincided with this project. When I asked for help, people just looked at my code then said things that didn't help at all like DO YOU KNOW WHAT MATH OPERATORS ARE THEY'RE RIGHT THERE IN MY CODE GODDAMN YOU.

all arrays do is make your program look neater, they are not necessity, now think, why is it that you actually CAN'T do it?

String[] days = ["Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday"];

System.out.println(days[daysOfWeek+1]);

similar code for month. also google "enums". also google "direct access tables".

I know it's awful, it's awful because this is literally my first programming class and apparently it's verbodden to not be fucking Bill Gates.
Sorry m8 can't use arrays.

arrays are necessary in some language to refer to variables by use of another variable (ie when numerical pointers are not available)

oh. well use a map or something. anything is better than godawful switch statement with a cyclomatic comlpexity of 8000

OP, I think I know where you went wrong.

You know that the 1st of January, 1970 was a Thursday right?

That is true, but I meant strictly in this problem.

There actually might be implementation details on the java Calendar definitions. Did you even bother looking?

Also, rows and columns per month and a loop through the months. That's three fucking loops. You shouldn't need more than that.

To be fair, making a calendar is fucking cancer especially with retarded restrictions.

You need to use a switch or change those ifs to if and else ifs, right now it is going through every single one of those ifs every time, change it to else if or switch so once one of the conditions evaluates to true, it will skip the rest.

my database teacher gets paid to walk in, read a powerpoint that he didn't make, and then leave. He doesn't teach anything, but on the plus side he doesn't grade anything either, just gives you full points if it looks done

Oh, yeah, duh, I don't know why I didn't put else in because it's all over the rest of my code, but that's a 10 second fix, my man.
Oh my god, and today was a Thursday it all makes sense now.
I'm going to try this three loop theory of yours. I tried googling "java calendar source code," do you have a better query or do you know the secrets of how to take a peek in the method box?
Also, thanks for the thread so far, Sup Forumsentlemen. I may be a shitty coder right now but honestly I'm trying hard. Hopefully I'll at least be proficient enough to be an actuary and do database stuff with SQL in a year or two.

Have you ever heard of a switch statement? It will look a lot neater than this.

welcome to nerds

Thank fuck i dropped out of IT

Such a bunch if eliteist assholes.

How to program:
Create a plan of how you want to solve the problem
Plan out what functions you will need to write to execute the solution
Write and test each function thoroughly and independent of eachother
Slowly put your program togeather while testing all along the way

You can only get so far without a plan. Try testing each of your functions to see if they have bugs. Multiple bugs can happen at once so don't expect your code to just work adter you fix one bug.

I just don't understand why.
I used to work as a math tutor and I would be very kind and helpful to even the dimmest of my students. I thrived on helping people understand arithmetic and algebra, and I thought I would find many of my kind in this subject as well.
Here I am, though, a fairly hard working, intelligent student who's been out a month of classes for legitimate reasons and the professor and tutor are zero help at all.

That's exactly how I do it. I'm just still pretty bad because I'm brand new while there's some guys in my class that have mathematicians as parents and probably learned English as a second language after assembly.

I'm going to skill or trade my dick down your throat if you ever post in my thread again.

If statements don't take up much processing power user, loops do. Did no one teach you about big O.

The whole higher education system is just a formality. In reality, most professors don't really teach you anything. You're expect to just understand it intuitively.

Here's the tip: If you're studying this at a university, even some sort of academy or college, the class sizes are too big for anyone to help you the way you want or need it.

The way people learnt in the past is gone. People don't get one on one teaching. It's 1 lecturer with 3 tutors teaching a class of 300.

If you want this sort of guidance, you're going to have to pay for a 1v1 tutor. Find someone who enjoys coding and teaching. Work with them and you will learn far more.

Of course it costs money though. That's how it is though. If you're poor you're not going to get anything more than some lecturer who is only at the uni to do research in the first place trying to teach people shit they don't even want to know but they want a job in IT and STEM because it is the PLACE TO BE.

You want this kind of guidance, pay for it. It's the only way now. You can ask online, but of course, there are fucking idiots everywhere so you will get the same attitude.

You would be surprised how many programmers are actually normies. Programming isn't simple work, especially if you're working with an sparsely documented code base.

>pastebin.com/Dh4VTwBq

Are you this person?

Big O notation is for worse-case performance, even then something that is O(1) could be more expensive than something that is O(log(n)), the fact the time is constant doesn't speak about how much time that O(1) operation will take.
It could take 10 years, as long as the time is not dependent on the length of the input it'll still be O(1)