/ohwg/ - Old Hardware General

I've have gotten my hands on a few pieces of older hardware. My attention is currently on an ibook g4. (I also have a M0001, but that's for another day,)
I'll be doing a teardown later. (I can't find a camera) However I'm trying to think of ways to turn it into something useful. I've already crammed Debian onto it. Any ideas?

i still have my powerbook G4 from 2005. works fine, but i have no idea what to do with it, too.

Does the m0001 work?

It works, but there seems to be something wrong with the floppy drive. So it technically works, but it de facto does not.

Also, go raiders!

HOW?

>However I'm trying to think of ways to turn it into something useful. I've already crammed Debian onto it. Any ideas?
this is a difficult question to answer since "useful" is subjective from person to person

you're not going to mindlessly consume internet content with it very conveniently but with 10.4, classic mode and tigerbrew there's a whole host of problems it can solve and things it can do with a little novelty, music production, development, basic office work, using it as a stylish kiosk/terminal, whatever

I ended up using my G5 for emulation, mostly running Bernhard Baehr's PDP-8 simulator that's probably the best fucking minicomputer emulator I've ever experienced

3 IPs, I'm on my phone now, so either you're the guy with the powerbook, or you go to my school.

almost got away by changing the name from /retro/.

>However I'm trying to think of turning it into something useful
this was fun to read. make sure you take lots of pics of it doing nothing since the only function of it now is to jerk off.

This is one of those powerpc models? install amigaos on it. throw it on ebay as RARE VINTAGE ONE OF A KIND RETRO amiga laptop. you can get more than you think. they WILL buy it.

damn nigger you missed out so much in the last /retro/ thread, why don't you ever seem to show up when your strawmen are actually coming to life?

>make sure you lots of take pics of it doing nothing
Your post both confuses and upsets me.
Are you well? Do you have brain damage?

>I will never have a qt Powerbook G4 on which to dual boot some ancient version of OS X and ppc debian
>I will never go to Starbucks and show it off to the X86_64 peasants

I've got the same one, been thinking on giving it to my brother but I wanna cram a new battery into it first.
Also for some reason WiFi only works if you're 6 feet away from the router.

nobody is looking because nobody cares

interesting, the ibook I have scheduled for teardown has wifi issues too. It disconnects and forgets all networks every time you close it.

wew

I'm sorry I must have missed something.
Why is this idiot so angry?

he's just Sup Forums's resident false flagging retrotard
play along or ignore him desu

>you're not going to mindlessly consume internet content with it very conveniently
Sure he is, TenFourFox is a thing

No I'm not.

Well you may choose not to but you definitely could.

well yeah, TFF is great but the average content-consumer type will probably still find it much too slow to really be all that convenient

though maybe it's different on DDR+ G4 systems, my PC133 Quicksilver needs some patience on the web

>look for powerbook g4 on local boards
>150 USD
It's not like I feel that's a fair price.

I've seen them show up for $50, that's probably about as high as I'd go.

My iBook G4/1.33 was only $2 from the thrift store and it still had enough juice in it that I could check if it worked before I grabbed an AC adapter for it.

What kind of power is a G4 1.33 comparable to? Pentium III?

Are C2Q's considered old hardware? I've been dicking around trying to oc a Q9550. Got it up to 3.4 with stock voltages, but it went haywire on 3.6 (underclocking itself, unstable onboard GPU.)

Early ones with backside cache did, the later ones (MDD era) competed mostly with Northwood P4s, the 1.33 GHz G4s were going up against Pentium Ms by that time, the performance on such an aging lineup of chips likely wasn't all that special in comparison. But I'm too lazy to go find some real benchmarks that I won't nitpick, so I'm pulling that off the top of my ass.

But the late-era PPC chips in general weren't really that impressive on the bench, but they got the job done and performed to customer expectations, you bought into the ecosystem for the software and polish anyway, not the shelf talker.