Tiny Indian Digital Camera That Outperforms DSLRs

Inside the Development of Light, the Tiny Digital Camera That Outperforms DSLRs

The creator of the new Light digital camera explains how he made it work

spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/gadgets/inside-the-development-of-light-the-tiny-digital-camera-that-outperforms-dslrs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QGxNyaXfJsA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

SUPERPOWER

That's pretty cool. It's almost like an insect eye. I like how they use clusters of lenses to get the desired focal length. Thanks for sharing.

>The Light camera starts with a collection of inexpensive plastic-lens camera modules
Anyone will tell you that the most important thing is the glass.
Well, they're using plastic so it is shit.

POO

ONE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS

this thing would probably struggle a lot with lens flares from different angles on different lenses.

>In our design, the camera uses software to add blur with the right bokeh to those parts of the scene that are outside the selected depth of field. This approach means that users can get whatever bokeh they want. They can choose the conventional disk-shaped bokeh or one with a Gaussian blur. Or they can get creative—for instance, picking a star-shaped bokeh for use in holiday photos, making small decorative lights appear as stars.
I just threw up in my mouth.

>outperforms dslrs

>This approach means that users can get whatever bokeh they want.
No it does fucking not.

/r/ing someone to rearrange the cameras into a smiley with a carat nose
:^)

Its a great concept, but hindered slightly by the use of cheap optics. Hopefully enough people buy these that they come out with another model, or some other company picks up the idea and runs with it.

Numerous sensors combining images for pixel binning can produce a very sharp and clear image without needing a larger lens. If the software and photo DSP can handle it well enough you could have an image with no typical digital noise pattern.

WHY IS INDIA SO BASED???

Now if your subjects can smile without being creeped out by your trypophobia cam.

>$1,699
I'll be willing to be that even at retail, 1700 dollarydoos can buy you a much better DSLR (lenses included) than this piece of "fix it in software lol" shit

Also, how can you claim that a camera that hasn't even been released yet outperforms anything

Isn't that pretty much what array telescopes do? Pretty cool concept

Pretty cool

Can it calculate the optimal place to poo when pointed at a clean street?

>It's almost like an insect eye.

Darpa literally did this years ago

youtube.com/watch?v=QGxNyaXfJsA

>Isn't that pretty much what array telescopes do?

Yeah, I always thought these were called field cameras. It's the tech that led to the Lytro, even if Lytro didn't end up use an array of lenses.

But maybe this is technically different since it's using a bunch of disparate and varied optics and sensors?

Daily reminder that India is a China wannabe and every 'Huge tech innovasion' from India is a scam done by individuals so that government will suck their dicks hoping it will help India become another China.

t. poo2loo

>The best digital cameras today are SLRs (single-lens reflex cameras)
So it's shit?