Shaving Tech

Shaving is technology.

I bought picture related a few months ago, and have been getting better at wet shaving in the mean time. I've been waiting to buy something better (wanted to make sure I could use it without hacking my face apart before I dropped too much cash on anything).

Questions:

1.) Any recommendations for a straight razor? Looking for relatively cheap but durable and good stainless.

2.) Any non-leather strops out there? For personal reasons I don't buy leather.

3.) I'm still using hard soaps, is there any amazing or spectacular difference between these and a cream?

4.) Should I just buy a safety razor and get on with my life?

5.) What do you use?

>inb4 females. Get the fuck out of my bouncy castle.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

>2.) Any non-leather strops out there? For personal reasons I don't buy leather.
faggot

There's a type of mushroom that can be used as a strop, I think.

Yeah, birch polypore.

Interesting... but a little more permanence would be appreciated.

Search results turn up nothing so far.

Shaving says a lot about a man, like "I'm not one.".

>a little more permanence
ITS CALL FUCKING LEATHER YOU AUTISTIC PIECE OF SHIT

>my hobbies are technology PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME VISIT OTHER BOARDS

Well I found a synthetic strop with google pretty fast. Awellshavedgentleman, Tony Miller.

Op said no women allowed.

your neck must be smooth senpai

I use that $10 feather butterfly safety razor, it's great.

There's a reason safety razors were invented, straight razors can cut your jugular.

Thanks brochacho, probably wasn't using the right words.
True I guess.
>calling a piece of rotting flesh permanent

1. Dunno, only used this Dovo ebony.
3. Are you actually making a lather with the soap?
4. No. Not worth the initial investment, upkeep or tools for upkeep.
5. Merkur 38c/Dovo ebony/mitchells wool fat/some bison leather strap/merkur silvertip badger brush

IMO, just find the right DE for your hair/skin, keep the soap unfancy and have a good wash before/after.

Yep, I can whip up a pretty good lather that stands on its own and stays thick throughout the entire shave. There were a couple of mornings where I was rousted from bed and given a good 10-15 minutes to shower, shave, brush teeth, etc., and I still used the shaving soap instead of canned gel...

I guess I'll give the DE a shot. It can't be harder to get right than shaving with a straight razor. I heard it's best to try different blades at first though.

shaving is for fags lmao

>Shaving is technology.
Please shave your wrists briskly.

I just use a double sided razor, but with Barbasol because it's a thick foam and quick as shit

Barbasol thinned to the point of uselessness every time I happened to use it while shaving, especially when I got to my neck which is where I needed the protection the most. But it is quick.

>I'm still using hard soaps, is there any amazing or spectacular difference between these and a cream?

Decent shit like Proraso in a tube is just supposed to be easier to lather. A tub of Proraso red in particular is kind of a bitch to later compared to Tabac.

Aftershave is optional with these.

If you mean Barbasol and Edge shave gel, you don't have to lather those, brush not needed. They well, however, dry your face so aftershave is required.

Holy shit just get a Mach or Gillette and use dermatological lotion as shaving cream.

Don't think you are pampering yourselves honestly, you're just deluded hipsters.

I don't need to shave, I was blessed with no body hair and facial hair.

Feels good man

I hope you're at least wearing pantyhose under your pants.

>I don't need to shave, I was blessed with no body hair and facial hair.

you must have a really healthy outlook on life to regard an autoimmune disease like alopecia as being "blessed".

I have a wonderful hair, I just don't have body and facial hair.

well, to be honest I just shave once a month and that's too much.

>Don't have to buy shaving products
>Don't look like a ape or convict
>Inmune to be a neckbeard and/or numale
>Being able to feel the breeze every summer.

Best genetics so far.

Muhle Grande, nigga. All you need.

>1.) Any recommendations for a straight razor? Looking for relatively cheap but durable and good stainless.
Ralf Aust makes good blades. I wouldn't recommend stainless though. They cost more and are harder to hone.

>3.) I'm still using hard soaps, is there any amazing or spectacular difference between these and a cream?
Cream is easier to work with. If you want something that is both cheap and effective, I highly recommend pic related. Ignore the effeminate packaging, I have a stiff coarse beard and it works great.

Try Martin de Candre soap, a bit expensive but youre not poor, are you? I'll never buy another soap again. (shillenings)

I started shaving with a discarded Braun electric razer that I found under the bathroom sink. Then I switched to a Gillette Mach 3 (Turbo!!!) because I realized it shaved about 0.01 micrometers closer. After five years or so of making the monthly sacrifices to Gillette, I realized I could have retired in my twenties instead of shaving. So I switched to Dollar Shave Club and stuck with that for about four years.

Last year I ordered a Braun 340 and I have been using that since, with the same foil head. Excusing the initial investment of ~$30 (I got it on sale) I have spent zero on shaving for the past year. It does the job.

yall on the technology board and shaving like it's 1870
once we are living in vials, facial hair will be removed by the maintenance droids
you will just do a capcha for braun corporation for each shave

>Shaving is technology.
Not for me it isn't.
I haven't touched a razor since 1968 and I've seen no improvement in shaving since then.

>50yo on Sup Forums
oh god

>not buying a Braun pass

People 30-50 invented Sup Forums culture, you just inherited it, champ.

>using the shave fedora
>not using an electric shaver for the convenience
I'm not surprised by the choice of tools, I'm surprised you shave at all.

moot was literally underage when he created this site, gramps.

Who is KAI master race here?

Leather =\= rotting flesh.

Once you start your hormone treatments you shouldn't need to shave anyway.

Spat on my fucking phone. Wd

>Literally the best

My negroid. I use the same razor and order my blades in bulk off the internet because I can't be arsed to spend too much money on something as simple as a safety razor and you get good unit price for good razor blades(like Astra, Feather, Derby etc).

You don't need stainless steel in a straight razor. Carbon steel will be cheaper to buy and easier to maintain on a strop.

As for non-leather strops, that is going to be a little more complicated. Natural leather strops are used plain between shaves on a straight razor as the natural silicates in a high quality leather are just barely abrasive enough to keep straight razor touched up between shaves.

Using a synthetic substitute is not really going to work as-is because denim or felt or fake leather don't have natural silicates in them. What you will need to find is a diamond or CBN spray that is extremely fine, the finest you can get (0.10 micron or less) and apply an extremely small amount to your synthetic strop.

That's about as good as you are going to get avoiding leather.

Next, a soap and a badger hair brush are, in my view, always superior to a cream.

As for straight razor vs. safety razor, I would say that straights take a lot more time to learn how to use than safety razors do.

Plus with a DE you can just stock up on Feather blades and be good to go.

The final tip I will give you is to watch some videos on YouTube of how to use a straight razor and start copying the way they pull the skin tight. If you get the technique of manipulating your face to get all the hairs down, you can get as close a shave from a Braun electric, a Bic disposable, a DE or a straight (or at least I can).

Recommend me some blades user. I have been using Astra platinum, but I was thinking about trying some other ones.

Get a 5 dollar chink double edge razor.

Get a 2 dollar stick of arko. It lathers so easily you won't need a brush.

Get an assortment of blades to see what works best for you. Once you find one you like order a 100 pack.

Get a septic stick because you will fuck up and cut yourself at some point.

Everything should run you under 20 bucks off Amazon. No need to spend allot of money like those hipsters on wicked edge of badger and blade.

Don't get a straight razor. Your not a ducking Barbour

Based as fuck.

ITT asperger syndrome strikes hard and convinces Sup Forums they need to shave like in the movies.

Got a edwin jagger like this one Idk if it's my skin but I usually do one pass and it's never enough. It looks okay but it's no baby skin. Derby is meh on me