I am trying to get power out to a washing machine...

I am trying to get power out to a washing machine. I mimicked what what worked on the last breaker and couldn't get power. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Are you an idiot?

are you trying to kill yourself?

I'd like to think otherwise; however, I'll gladly accept that abuse if you could kindly assist me.

Haven't died yet. Perhaps with your guidance I can have this wired correctly.

Look man, a washing machine doesnt usually use any crazy plugs, Mine uses a standard 3 prong. Show me the washer plug first.

seems to be wired right. either breaker to that feeder panel is tripped or the washing machine is fucked.

It's a three prong as well. I'm using 12 Guage wire and had the breaker set up matching one that worked. For some reason I'm not getting power to the outlet.

See, I was hoping it wasn't the washer though. It is brand new.

lol you should be getting 120V on that plug, as shitty and terrible youre doing it. the machine probably wants 240V

oh wait. idiot, did you reset the gfci plug? you didnt tell is you were using one.

plug something else like a lamp or some shit in to it to see if it gets power, if it does it's the washer. or this.

No NEMA 5 receptacle is rated for 240V operation.

Invest in a voltmeter, jackass. You'd have figured this out in two seconds, if you had.

oh shut the fuck up with that engineer seat-warmer shit

>Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Probably breaking every electrical code in your jurisdiction.

doesn't matter if it only gets 120 from the panel.

Yes.

What I wanted to say is:
If it was a 240V machine he wouldn't be able to plug it in you clueless fuck.

Plugged in a phone charger. No power.

That's a possibility, but electricians cost money.

I have one, but I honestly haven't learned how to use it yet. Plugged in a phone charger though. No power to the outlet.

then either the gfci or a breaker is tripped. you may have to find the main breaker box feeding juice to that feeder box.

you see that little square on the bottom right of the outlet? press reset and it'll turn green. now you have power. youll be free to electrocute or burn your house down as you see fit after that

but i thought gfci outlets were meant to keep your house from burning down.

I'll bet you've got the fastener on the breaker tightened down on the insulation, i.e. you've pushed the wire in too far and the wire isn't actually touching anything conductive.

Yea, already tried that with no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Disregard, from the looks of your pictures, I'm clearly wrong.

no, NFPA now says its arc faults that prevent fires because buy our new breakers and outlets

Main box. The top one is what feeds to the inside of the house.

but did you REALLY push it in, until it clicked? use a screwdriver but dont break it

there's your problem one of those top 2 feed that panel that makes your washing machine work.

no that's just one breaker. the other breakers in the panel are still powering the shit around him too so it's not that

well all on top are in the off position so one is prolly feeding that feeder panel.

Ok, so please forgive me because I hadn't thought of this and avoided touching the outlet while the breaker was on, but does it have to have power going to it before the reset will do anything?

tfw o.p. bought a new washer when he just need to throw a breaker back on.

This house didn't have a washer previously. Had to get one.

Test for voltage coming out of the breaker. Put your red meter lead on the breaker screw that holds the wire. Put the black lead on the bar where the white wire is connected. If you get zero volts the breaker is fucked. If you do get voltage, either the wire, or the outlet is fucked.

Multimeter shows power at breaker.

yes. every time the power kicks off of a gfci outlet it needs to be reset

also wrap the outlet in one or two layers of electrical tape, especially at the terminals

Your wire appears to be broken. Is this a salvaged piece of wire? Solid core wire breaks pretty easily if it gets flexed a few times.

this.

OP you need to verify voltage is going to the outlet.

Grab yourself a Multimeter and get to work.

What specific washer did you get? There's a good chance that it may require a 110+110 outlet. (commonly called 220 here in the US, even though its just two different 110 lines)

that's what I believe was alluding to.

Are those really the only breakers you have? That cant be possible. Do you have a sub panel located somewhere?

The Washing machine and dryer are normally on a dedicated circuit because of their high (30-50amp) current draw.

Ignore , he means well, but seems to have missed the part where it says "service disconnect" on the panel. Which marks that breaker as the main switch from the power company's grid.

Good call. If you're not getting power and the breaker shows power than you have a problem.

However, you could have accidentally connected both the live wire and the neutral wire to the breaker, which would make it look like the outlet had not power, when it does.

So try measuring between hot and ground and tell us if you have power.

no GFCI is to prevent shock from stuff like wet surfaces etc.

AFCI is to prevent fires, which is a bunch of liberal bullshit like said.
as long as you dont hook up shitty power cords to your receptacle they're no better than regular breakers.

eh, they're not very useful, but saying that bad cords are the only source of arcing is a bit reductive dont you think?

I'm sure he doesn't think that, he doesn't appear very smart.

Ok, so I bought a new outlet and it worked. Both of the ones prior are apparently bad. I do have power to the washer now. I greatly appreciate all of the input and help. You guys have taught me a lot.

run that wire proper now. try not to die

>bad cords are the only source of arcing

for bedrooms, where they're required, yeah basically.

wtf do live where this passes building codes?

Plug wired wrong. Breaker OK, but done poorly.

Alabama.

>TFW all of Sup Forums doesn't realize that GFCI's aren't like normal plugs with jumpers, and have to be wired on the LINE side.

After I wrote this post I read the whole thread and found no one realized this. Lol.

>alabama
well that explains alot.
where else could you wire a house with a 200 amp service panel and only 2 breakers?

my only excuse is that im on mobile view and made the assumption that he'd put them on line if he was copying everything he saw

>tfw buying a house with tons of knob and tube wiring
>tfw the previous owner was some crazy old guy who liked to do fucked up DIY wiring
>tfw flying splices everywhere

It's not a bad house otherwise, and I got insurance that covers the knob and tube... but goddamn if it doesn't make me nervous. Heavily considering getting it all ripped out and replaced.

well I had a friend who rented such a house. it ended up burning down and he lost everything he owned. yeah it might be a big investment initially, but in the long run it might be worth it.

>be OP
>take GFCI out of the box
>see big yellow sticker covering load terminals
>"IMPROPER WIRING MAY MAKE SHIT NOT WORK PLS READ MANUAL"
>rip it off
>wire it freestyle
>"guys it doesn't work"

That shit doesnt surprise me one bit.

Good speed bamanon.

That's the first fucking thing I saw, and was going to point it out, but meh.