Tfw I fell for the 16GiB RAM meme

>tfw I fell for the 16GiB RAM meme

>buying your RAM in units of GiB and not GB

Don't worry OP, you can just buy some extra to undo your mistake and fix the inadequacy.

haha

16gb

lol...

hahaha...

FRESH MEMES.

Sorry for u, OP

>built new pc
>6700k 4.6ghz
>32gb ram
>open up premier, load in a 1080p video
>scrub timeline back/fourth
>it still lags and doesn't insta play the frame

well fuck me. maybe it's due to the video being on my HDD drive?

>Hard Disk Drive Drive

Some videos are encoded horribly by retards.

I have 16 GB on my desktop and 8 GB in my laptop. I prefer 16 when rendering after effects animations.

>mechanical drive
>why is it slow

Actually i just moved the 4gb 1080p video to an SSD and loaded it. Playback scrubbing is a ton faster now and i can jump back frames with almost insta loading. I guess it was due to being on the HDD after all.

Still i kinda wonder why is it if i use right arrow to scrub forward the frames are instant, but scrubbing with left key backwards takes time to render.

I have 32 on each, which is the max either supports. No reason to not max your motherboard's RAM unless it's soime retarded amount that costs thousands of dollars. 32 GB of DDR4 was like 200 bux or something, with DDR3 being slightly less

Make a RAM disk and throw that in there, it'll even better.

stop dissin that dudes daily driver bro

How would that work for saving? If i put the cache/scratchdisk and the actual video file on the ram disk, save project and reboot woudln't it not find the file?

>Still i kinda wonder why is it if i use right arrow to scrub forward the frames are instant, but scrubbing with left key backwards takes time to render.

If you ask some data from your disk, it will assume that you most likely want the data that comes after it. So it places it in its cache for fast access.

When you shut down your pc it will place it on your HDD/SSD. But if the power gets cut off, you lose your data.

I see. I'm using premier right now to look at animation frames and cycle back/fourth. I couldn't find any good video viewers that allowed me to do that (WMPC does allow me to go backwards in frames, but the problem is it only jumps in really random locations on the play track and it's always the same points, meaning i have to play a bit of video to get to where i want in it).

It would only work for loading the actual video, but if you put the scratch disk in the SSD I actually dunno if would be faster.

It's literally so cheap, I'm not sure why you're complaining. I just upgraded my laptop to 16GB because the kit only cost $42.

I only posted this thread because some faggot was spamming it a few days ago and I wanted to see what kind of reactions I would get.

Are you sure your GPU/CPU are not facing a bottleneck on your motherboard? Mine is a laptop and never had any issues with moving the timeline on MPC-HC and MPV.

>play GTAV
>all friends have 8GB of RAM
>they keep crashing, can't open browser or use custom radio

At least I can browse the web while they load back into the game.

Having 16GiB is bad now? What did i miss?

>ight arrow to scrub forward the frames are instant, but scrubbing with left key backwards takes time to render.
This is due to the random/sequential performance. As you've probably heard, SSDs are natively much better at random read/write than HDDs due to the random access nature of flash cells compared to a magnetic platter, however SSDs are still optimized for sequential read/write at the firmware level, to improve performance with software that is designed for the higher sequential performance of old HDDs. Therefore your SSD actually has higher sequential read than random read, causing it to be able to load the next frame much faster than if you go backwards

mfw in 2012 I buy 16GB ram and go SLI. Now to install Unreal engine and get to work.

>SLI not supported recommended RAM 24GB.

>tfw fell for the "16GiB RAM is a meme" meme