Plex

Plex.

I need a fucking internet connection to use Plex on my local network, seriously?

>Came home this morning
>no internet
>no cable
>call Verizon
>looks like my box needs a technician
>have to wait until tuesday for technician
>start Plex
>127.0.0.1:32400
>Plex is not reachable, make sure server has internet connection
>localhost:32400
>192.168.1.2:32400
>change host file to resolve urls i noticed plex was trying to establish in the logs, to localhost

Why on earth is it designed this way? Is there anyway I can change this? How is it possible there isnt at least an admin login page

Other urls found in this thread:

support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288666-Opening-Plex-Web-App
127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html#!/dashboard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's designed that way because even though it is on your own home network, if your media server is up at home, and you have plex somewhere else, you can technically stream shit from your house to wherever you are, it's not limited to just your network, though it would be nice to have that offline network option.

I completely get that. But that shit is unacceptable that from the damn server I'm on, it still tells me its unreachable. There's got to be people out there that use it offline. There's no way that it can't be used offline

Assblasted right now man wtf

support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288666-Opening-Plex-Web-App

scroll down to "local plex web app"

perhaps that might help? idk

Thanks man but I've read that already. May be out of date since I Dont see a 'media manager' when I right click.

Plex is working fine without internet access.

Man fuck this. I'm just going to take advantage of the time and fix up my music library and sort out the tons of music I've downloaded to see what stays and goes. Thanks again for those who tried to help

It wouldn't be media manager, but it might be open plex or start plex. It opens so the web browser is on a local session for you to edit and all that, but you can also watch from this window.

This works for me. Trying right clicking the plex icon if you are hosting it on windows and select open plex.

>using closed source software

I tried. Opens up a window with local host URL. Same message Plex is not reachable...

Open up a port?

I don't understand how networking works - the post.

My Internet's gone out and mine worked. You set yours up wrong

Firewalls are disabled.

Plex worked fine with an internet connection. The problem is that now it still needs an internet connection even though I'm just trying to access it within my own network. It literately won't let me access it from the computer its running on because it wants an internet connection

You need an internet connection to use Chromecast too even for local streaming. Pixel can't use a video cable, lul.

So I'm OK with it not 'being setup properly', except I HAVE to now wait till Tuesday when I get an internet connection so I can log in and look around its settings. You Dont find that a fucking awful design?

install emby for the time being. same thing but worse

[local IP].32400/web/

Lel you're joking right? Then fuck it what's the point. I was going to get Plex running so I can screen cast to my TV so I can do other stuff on my PC.

Did you not read the op?

Op didn't mention the /web/ part. Mine won't connect without it.

>You need an internet connection to use Chromecast too even for local streaming.
You do not.
You need a router for chromecast to work, that's it.

>using proprietary software

>I need a fucking internet connection to use Plex on my local network, seriously?
No, you don't. You can connect directly via the LAN address in your web browser or if you use the old Plex Media Center.

The "apps" are a different story though.

By the way, here's the address you need:
127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html#!/dashboard

I feel like I'm no conveying my problem right or that no one is actually reading my op.

I've tried connecting via the browser with 127.0.0.1, localhost address, and my static IP. And it just tells me "Plex is not reachable. Make sure your server has an internet connection and any firewalls or other programs are set to allow access"

Again, to be clear, I'm trying to access that URL from the same computer that is hosting my Plex. Firewalls always have been disabled. Can you disconnect your Ethernet and try accessing it from the PC that is hosting it.

stop using plex then cuck.
sounds like classic spyware behavior anyhow.

ReadyMedia (MiniDLNA if you're an oldstable debian user) jus werks™

And I'm telling you that localhost (or static IP address) and port number isn't good enough. You need to use that exact URL I gave you.

If that still doesn't work, then I suggest you try looking at some bug reports on the Plex forums, because you are supposed to be able to access the Plex manager/webplayer via that address on your LAN even without an active internet connection.

Yea looks like I'm headed over there. I was looking earlier but couldn't find anything good that was similar to my issue

Works fine here without Internet access. Are you sure you're connecting to the server itself and not a Plex account to reach your server?

Switch to emby, universal media server, kodi or whatever instead.

They're open source so you gotta worry less about how the company in question wants to market you to others or their product to you every day.

>homeland
My nigga

Can you elaborate? In the logs I do see it trying to reach out to Plex.tv and a public IP. I'm thinking of just reinstalling it since I still have the msi on my PC. And see if I can find some initial options to configure it properly

PLEX doesn't work unless the server has internet access because it has to give your authentication tokens to the server and use the server to authenticate every single stream.

The PLEX devs can access your server and stream any of your content at any time.

Nice paranoia. The token is probably 'tokenized' and unable to be seen by them

Anyway, I gave my phone a static IP and disabled data and it was actually able to open Plex with the app and load my content. Problem now is that Chromecast needs a fucking internet connection

Why fuck

It isn't paranoia, your server requests authentication from plex's services, which supply the tokens, same with all plex clients, whatever they want authenticated is authenticated because they control what is authenticated.

They basically have shell access on every single internet connected machine running plex.

Lol wut. Citation needed

I've worked at a start up when we provided tokens to users that would connect. Those tokens were completely randomized and were auto generated and never stored. If they have a similar setup, no they Dont have shell access to every machine on the internet running Plex. If you can't provide a link, how on earth did you delude yourself so hard?

Your server logs in, they get your ip, port for the api is opened.

You log in with an Android app, plex devs authenticate and provide tokens for all the media servers you are "authorized" to access.

I don't need some dipshit that thinks because he worked at a startup that his fucking retarded opinion has any relevancy.

Nice link. Dont need some random faggot online spewing his autistic paranoia. Provide something substantial, or go fucking kill yourself

Dude the plex service provides authentication for each individual server you access on demand for any account.

The fact that it works this way period proves that they can authenticate whoever they want you fucking mongoloid.

There is no user login when people connect to your server there is only the token provided by the plex service, and you don't generate it they do.

OK, so they control authentication. That not overly tinfoil hat worthy. You still haven't explained how this equates to:
> shell access on every single internet connected machine running plex

Update mechanism can be used for payloads.

Payloads pushed down through an update mechanism are not the same as having shell access. Maybe such payloads could *enable* some sort of shell access, but having shell access to a box and being able to possibly deliver a payload are two separate things.

As for the possibility of payload delivery through an update mechanism, the same could theoretically be said for any program that subscribes to its own update channel, no? Should we be steering clear of anything that has this capability?

I don't think your paranoia (and it is paranoia) is justified.