Ok Sup Forums I have an Acer Aspire 5050 with a Single core amd chip and 16mb vram, it has 756mb ram(i don't even)...

Ok Sup Forums I have an Acer Aspire 5050 with a Single core amd chip and 16mb vram, it has 756mb ram(i don't even). I don't know WM's that much but on hardware like this it seems like the only choice, recommend me distros or de's Sup Forumsents

Lubuntu / Xubuntu / Ubuntu MATE is best choice for your old laptop.
And your can trimming down it.

Looks like you're in the need for LFS or Plan 9

*you
LFS is confusing and taking time so much to configure it.
i know, its best because you can make your own minimal Linux installation.

I tried lubantoo but it just felt..... empty. Xubuntu is too much for it and I haven't tried Mate, i'll look into it.
I'd rather learn WM's than LFS
Ok, so I just install xubuntu on it and trim down? alright

op if you dont have any prior experience with LFS don't do it
especially since the documentation isn't kept up to date all that well and there's some typos/missing info in the commands you need to run. it's a huge pain

damn small linux isn't too bad
q4os is ok too but if you want a more traditional alternative LUbuntu should be ok
i run it on an ancient 2005 thinkpad and it runs just fine

Just use the framebuffer and be amazed how much you can get working on that old hardware.

I've had my pi1 (with 512mb, of which 128 went to graphics) and had, with tmux, about 15 programs spread across the "desktops" and in the multiplexor.

i3 or awesome is what I'd recommend =)

LFS is for everyone. You should never be too scared/intimidated to install an OS.

alright, user. I'll look into q4os

Don't WM's require scripting to be setup properly? I just want the half-tiling W10 has or even a floating WM, but the configs are too much work for this lazy asshole who hasn't even learnt C

Use nLite to make a minimal XP install.

Install DOSBox.

Have it boot straight to DOSBox

Have an awesome retro gaming PC.

i miss nlite so much XD

or LXLE, its included to much preinstalled applications.

Use Openbox then, then use ObConf and ObMenu to set everything up.

not a bad idea user, but I don't like the idea of XP since it has been found to have many vulnerabilities.

seems like the correct answer

Only if you go online.

Specs like that will get ruined by the modern web, so you likely wont be doing that anyway.

>so you likely wont be doing that anyway.
I dunno, i wanted to make it a shitposting machine. If that isn't viable I'll just leave it running with no GUI and use it as a terminal

Having a minimal TUI install will make that thing fly.

Besides, there's no reason you can't do both. That's what drive partitions are for.

You just wont be running any JS on that is all.

>minimal TUI install
what did he mean by this (what the fuck is a TUI)

If GUI is Graphical User Interface, what do you think a TUI is?

nvm im a retard. Thanks user, but how would I pull off a browser in a TUI?

>he's never heard of lynx

As stated before, I'm a retard that has only dabbled in Ubangoo and Arch a few times(arch-anywhere)

w3m and lynx is a browser m8.
oh, i think you can try Puppy Linux, Slax Linux, or Slitaz.

alright mate, cheers. Mods can /thread this now