I found a used MSI GTX 980 on Craigslist for $250...

I found a used MSI GTX 980 on Craigslist for $250. The guy said it was used for gaming for a year and a half in a smoke free environment. It goes for $530 on Amazon, this is a good deal right?

Other urls found in this thread:

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-AMD-RX-480/2576vs3634
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get a 1070 instead

it wont be gimped as quickly

>$250

Add another 120 to it then and get the 1070 :^)

That's not answering the question asked in this thread at all.

Shit is hot as fuck don't do it my room is so warm right now.

Yeah get it, if you like being a cuck

This kind of comment is par for the course on Sup Forums, sadly.

It's not the best deal ever but it's good, but you could always get a brand net rx480 for that price, with warranty and so on...

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-AMD-RX-480/2576vs3634

Checked

I'm not super worried about heat, there's actually no heat in my room so it works out I guess. I'm just looking at what card will get me the most fps for $250 or less (hence why I'm buying used). Given the 980 outperforms the 480, what price would you say is fair for the 980 mentioned?

No. A 980 performs on around the same level as a 1060 and you can get a new one of those for that price.

Or just add zero and get a 1060 or rx-480 that has equal performance nowadays

LOOK MOM I SAID KEK AGAIN XDDDD UPBOAT ME

You can buy brand new GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 for same price and similar performance with better hardware decoder/encoder and DP1.4 support

Why would anyone buy an outdated Maxwell card atm?

You guys are right, I just didn't do the proper research. I've been out of the GPU market since the 290 (my last card). When the 980 came out it was a beast so it's weird to hear that the 1060 is on par with it. Gg Nvidia, gg.

. a

980/1060 are barely faster than a 290. 15-20% at most

>buying 2nd hand gpus that are not refurbs or hand me downs

Pretty much always defective or last seasons bit miners

No

It would've been a decent deal a year or two ago, but not now. The 1060 3GB is roughly equivalent to 980 and it goes for $166 NEW with coupons.

Is getting the 6gb version worth it if I'm on a tight budget?

No, if your expectations aren't that high, go for 3GB as they're cheaper and perform roughly same on 1080p res. But if you are bit hesitant that 3GB might not hold up, go for 6GB version for $30-40 more or so.

I personally don't have high expectations and set my standards to 1080p, so I'm fine with 3GB.

>nobody ever sells their old GPUs on ebay when they upgrade, it has to be broken, a scam or something worse, a sane person would just hoard old hardware in his closet like me!

So for games like FO4, ESO, and GTAV there won't be a huge difference in performance on 1080p?

Yea maybe 2-3 fps difference, but it should be relatively same fps wise.

Alright, sounds like I'm getting a 1060 then.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Get a 480 instead

>Getting a card that only has mainstream support for a year
why

>get a 1060
Ok
>a 1060? What are you, retarded?

he didnt say kek

I can't tell if you're mocking him or not. I hoard my old parts in my closet until I can put together a computer then I donate it to a local church community center.

Don't listen to these retards who compare stock for stock benchmarks.

Any aftermarket 980 is a solid buy because the 980 overclocks like a dream and you can squeeze more performance out of a 980 than you can from a 1060.

Take all stock vs stock benchmarks with a pinch of salt because it's not representative of the performance of aib cards. An msi 980 oc is probably faster than an msi 1060 oc even though they're around the same price. It's the same with 980 ti and 1070 where the aftermarket 980 ti destroys the 1070 because of the factory overclocks and the 980 ti having more performance per clock.

Hell, an aftermarket 780 ti is faster than a aftermarket 970 and even competes with the 1060 and 480, contrary to what stock benchmarks show.

Aftermarket 1070*

I bought a new msi 1070 for $365 and op starts threads on a used card for not much less.

I'm laughing at you.

>This much retardation in one post

she has a nice face.

>benchmarks
synthetic maybe but then goybidia gimps the shit out of it with unoptimized drivers for newer games.

wasn't it only like 6 months ago people were shelling out $600+ for 980's

I see this is your first ever experience with GPU seasons.

But amd shills say pascal was just maxwell 2.0