Tell me why don't we all own an x220 with IPS display,8gb of ram,SSD...

Tell me why don't we all own an x220 with IPS display,8gb of ram,SSD,9cell battery + battery slice (20 hours battery life) as the ultimate laptop? I'm sick and tired of all these swindler manufacturers. Why? Why aren't more and more people doing this? I want a laptop for productivity,for work!

Other urls found in this thread:

orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36203
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>battery slice
That's pretty neat!

Why don't we all? Because not all of us are 30 year old NEETs living in their parents' basement, we sometimes go outside. x220 with battery slice is heavy as fuck

THICCC

because work provided me probook 640 g1 and at home i don't need more than old t60 i just use to dick around with from time to time

because buying a new battery for this thing is just delaying the inevitable, I'll just buy a new laptop that doesn't need to be heavier than a textbook to get me 20 hours of battery

No such thing as modern laptop with 20 hr battery life

T460 and X260 both claim it, carrying as much weight as OP's claim.

I want the slice battery, but right now non of the vendors are shipping those to my country. Fuck them.

I have that, sans the slice (6-7h battery is still fine for me).
It is getting old though.
I will soon have to replace it with something else.
Should I just get the x260 when the price drops or is there better laptops of a newer generation?

For my everyday use it's too bulky. I use my X1 Carbon more since it's easier to just slip into a backpack and take to work, even though keyboard is worse, the portability makes up for it
I do have an X220 though, because why WOULDN'T you own one at that price?

>Tell me why don't we all own an x220
Because shitty 16:9 screen (the smallest you can go with that shit if you want any usable vert space left is 14") and fuckhuge bezels.
I just want an X62

>implying you need more than 512MB of ram

>768p
>Ultimate laptop
You're the problem. Kill yourself.

>an
only one?
>with IPS display
with (B3) IPS
>8gb of ram
16gb, you peasant
>SSD
yes
>9cell battery
yes
>battery slice
9cell is enough for a workday+

No, you are. Enjoy buying a new monitor/laptop/screen every couple of years because you think pixels correlate to penis size.

>with (B3) IPS
is that the one to replace the built in IPS with? like, with actually good gamut and shit?

Because even with an IPS display the PWM is too goddamn low because lenovo are fucking retards.

really? I have a t430 and the only good quality of its screen is that it doesn't flicker even at lowest backlight

Is PWM in new Thinkpads really that bad? I have a T430, and don't really notice it. But then again, my eyes aren't the best in the world. I'm thinking about moving to T460, but if the PWM is really such a problem, are there even any alternatives? I'm in love with the keyboard and the trackpoint

because it can't run FOSS from firmware to software.

This is why I have the X200 with an AFFS screen, LED backlight, Libreboot, and 9cell battery.

Apple laptops happened and everyone copied it because apple brainwashed normies into wanting thinner computers

Like all the recent cars, they all look the same.

Because I own a superior Dell Latitude E6400 + 9-cell + 12-cell slice and I get 23 hours of usable battery life, probably.

because i have an x201 and a t430

if it had hardware H.265 and HEVC, as well as the graphics having a little boost, it'd be perfect.

EliteBook 8470p
with i7 and 8gigos of ramus

Your picture sums it up why I don't want one

>battery slice
Thiccc!

Because laptops are shit.

who cares if you take the ecessive amount of work to put an ips panel in it when the resolution is still garbage?

the battery slice eliminates the benefits of having a small laptop.

ive got an x220 but the resolution is fucking painful, the trackpad is useless and the trackpoint isnt much better (especiall for scrolling).

the keyboard is nice, and with an ssd it is plenty fast

Lenovo think low 200hz is perfectly okay (it really isn't pwm should literally be in the thousands if we're talking about general well being of users and should be 500hz+ minimum if they're gonna be retards like this)

If it doesn't bother you don't think about it, it's fine. It doesn't really bother most people and often just tires their eyes out a bit quicker.

If you're like me where flicker is an issue it's a big problem on laptops these days.

You can manually increase the PWM yourself but it makes the screens make high frequency noises that are annoying and make you think "that doesn't sound healthy"

This is shit you'd expect in cheap laptops not laptops that sell for 1k+ new

Because I own a desktop that will pants any laptop thicc or otherwise) on the market for any kind of work and I'd rather my laptop be damned good at being moderately powerful, but super portable. My desktop is there for work while the laptop fills the roles of goofing off in bed/on the couch and light work while away from home.

"Laptop as your main computer" is a shit setup for anybody who needs any level of computing power and workstation/gaming laptops are a jerry-rig sort of solution in most cases. The only place I can see heavy, powerful laptops having a place is for people who need power but are perpetually traveling or *maybe* for poor students buying old, used workstation laptops for bang-for-buck reasons. Practically everyone else would be better served by a lightweight laptop or a lightweight laptop paired with a desktop.

There's no PWM on the T460 according to notebookcheck

Isn't it only the WQHD screen that's available on the T460s?

I own x230 and x260. I bought them brand new directly from Lenovo.

IIRC they may have released a couple of laptops without any flickering but almost all Lenovo laptops have somewhere around 220hz pwm.

I know the t460s has low pwm but the t460 might not.

PWM or not Lenovo screens are generally absolute dog shit

This is also true. Google "lenovo gradient banding"

A bunch of their lower laptops a couple of years back like the g50-45, z50-75 etc. had screens that displayed everything with massive gradient banding.

Lenovos response to this issue after a lot of complaints? "Yeah just adjust the angle of your screen that will fix this hardware level issue."

Great advice, Lenovo. I'm sure those people who paid 400 bux for a z50-75 were real happy with that.

Chinks.

/thread

16:9 is trash

welcome to the laptop market

I have an x220 with linux mint and a 9 cell battery and it lasts nowhere near 20 hours. Maybe with a max darkened screen and everything disabled.

Otherwise, it seems to last about 8 hours on average with Linux Mint.

>*maybe* for poor students buying old, used workstation laptops for bang-for-buck reasons

Not recommended. CS student and know a few that did that and they can't easily carry it so never do. I went with the x220 with 4GB RAM, an SSD and the TN panel. Good enough but if you're buying in 2016 get something else. It's fucking 1280x800 which makes it absolutely terrible for Eclipse or similar.

>implying battery life is the only factor
Mind explaining what makes the x220 the "ultimate laptop"?

Does it get burn-your-lap hot under moderate-high use? Hope that battery slice you seem so fond of has good thermal shielding.

I have an x220 and I literally just use it for school, CATIA, work, and jacking off to artificial academy 2. It's not that useful otherwise desu. . .

The engineering of the x220 is fantastic - never comes even close to uncomfortably hot on the base.

im pretty sure thats what its use case is, so i would say its extremely useful

There's no reason not to get the tablet over the standard

Genuinely asking, what is the best X220 replacement now? I had my X220 case broken yesterday :(.

I am looking into XPS or MacBook Air honestly.

for a 3 inch thick laptop that's a bit of a joke.

He's confusing the 9 cell with the slice.

do you even lift, faggot?

Because we aren't all thinkpad shills who want to carry around a brick with shitty screen resolution

you forgot the usb 3.0 expresscard
also
>X220t > X220

x260 is the most direct replacement, but no tablet stuff.

why can't we just have a Chromebook Pixel LS with a super thick battery, more USB C ports, and larger or upgradeable SSD?

Can you tell me more about your image? I only see russian results on google and it's fascinating to me. I assume it's some kind of Chinese air superiority fighter?

last time i used a thinkpad it was a t60 and it burned my balls off

The T560 has been independently tested to run somewhere around 21 hours of battery life I believe.

T460 and X220 both run around 17 hours

well the big black one is a J-20(pic)

the little one highlighted is a hypersonic prototype
orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36203

where's the GPU?

>and a 9 cell battery
OP is describing a computer with a 9 cell battery in the back and a 6 cell battery in the bottom bay

because I'm in college and broke as fuck

>Chinese
> air superiority fighter
Pick one

Isn't the battery already pretty good on the Pixel LS? In any case I just pop in a big ass SD card, short USB 3.0 flash drive, and keep an external on hand for anything else. And that's on top of the 3 year 1 TB Drive account.

Used to have an x220, but recently sold it. I picked up a Yoga 12, Yoga 260, T440 and T430 for $300 combined the other day. Sold everything but the Yoga 260 and made a bunch of money. People like to talk shit about the newer Thinkpads, but I actually really like the Yoga 260. It is pretty thin and light and has the upgraded 1080p IPS panel.

>1280x800
>Eclipse
This combination is pure nightmare fuel. Definitely agree that anybody working with IDEs a lot shouldn't skip on resolution. 1680x1050 or 1600x900 is the bare minimum and 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 is preferred.

What is that?

Why are there so many weak people on Sup Forums. Are you one of the children from Sup Forums?

My x201t's motherboard died and I only ever got 6 hours max on the thing. Also it's loud as fuck. I have a netbook now, for coding and taking notes in class. I do t understand students who think they need a $>200 laptop to browse Facebook and run word

>8gb of RAM

How triggered would you be if i told you my trackpad has a ducktape surface,and my middle mouse button is gone.

Because 9 cell battery is enough.

That alone makes me want to buy a i3 x260.

It's a big ass battery that plugs into the docking port.

>1366x768

That's why.

>It's fucking 1280x800 which makes it absolutely terrible for Eclipse or similar.
That's your own fault for buying that when 1366x768 IPS X220's exist.

It's not a lot better but it makes Eclipse tolerable if you move the console to the right side instead of the bottom

X230 with X220 keyboard swapped in

Damn son, nice score

>almost 2017
>still using 1366x768

LMAO thinkucks

I have the T model and I get nowhere near the batterylife you get, I get about 4-5 hours.

My x220T only lasts two or three hours. The battery sticks out so I think it's a 9 cell. I ran PowerTop and things are as optimized as they can get. Do I just need a new battery? I am interested in getting the slice, but if my main battery is shit I think I should deal with that first.

>and the trackpoint isnt much better (especiall for scrolling).
but trackpoint scrolling is amazing

this

This. Laptops are shit if they are your main computer, regardless of your power needs. Tablets are more portable and desktops are more powerful.

>Tablets are more portable
But lack the keyboard and trackpad required for a decent experience.
>desktops are more powerful
But lack the form factor to be used on an air plane, car, train or other such place.

I've worked for a medium sized business that tried to give everyone iPads to use in the field. No one used them and waited until back in the office to write things up on their 15'' macbooks. I bought a cheap and cheerful netbook and tethered my phone while my coworker would drive or the reverse. Guess which solution resulted in less customer details being forgotten.

i have that but with 4gb ram

For all the memes Dell and especially Apple are putting into their computers, their screens are absolute god-tier

Lenovo doesn't even come remotely close

Thinkpad screens are dogshit. Even the IPS panels.

Go ahead and hate me. MacBook screens are worlds better.

because ultrabook with enormous attatchment below is stupid idea

>work
you can "work" on literally anything, only thinkpad advantages in this department are good keyboard and nipple

I've got one and a Dell XPS 13.
The x220 was a very good machine, but it starts to show its age, and the XPS 13 ticks all the boxes for me.

Dell lat's tend to have low 200hz pwm too.

Dunno much about newer releases though but the ones released 3+ years ago definitely did.

You know, I would have thought "business laptop" would also mean they'd design it with the idea that maybe people would stare at the screen for long periods of time doing work now and then in mind and they should make this as comfortable as possible for everyone.

ye I was referring to the XPS series mainly

Except Macbook screen are glossy.
So they are completely useless if you have an office with plenty of daylight.

And some modern Thinkpads have awesome screen options.
The QHD screen on my T460p is fantastic.

Because I have a x201t. I'd like to get one of those new Yogas one of these days though.

>I'm sure those people who paid 400 bux for a z50-75 were real happy with that.

>buys a $400 laptop
>complains

You are everything that's wrong with consumerism.

>Tell me why don't we all own an x220 with IPS display,8gb of ram,SSD,9cell battery + battery slice (20 hours battery life) as the ultimate laptop? I'm sick and tired of all these swindler manufacturers. Why? Why aren't more and more people doing this? I want a laptop for productivity,for work!
Because I'm not a poorfag. I have a mac and I use linux on it. The display has a better resolution and colors than an x220. Also, the battery lasts enough (10 h), and the cpu is stronger.

WEAK

Are you actually retarded mate?

Our use cases are very different, tablets are fine for me because what I use computers for are different from yours. Laptops are just weird for me.

because most of that shit is autism and requires you to pay out the ass anyway if you want batteries that actually work