Vim or emacs?

Vim or emacs?

i use nano. it's simple and it's doing what it should do

Until now I do so aswell. Sometimes I also use vi(m), depending on if nano is installed or not. And for basic stuff its fine. But within the next time I'll work a lot under linux shell with a lot of long files, so I'd like to learn a "real" editor. I just dont know which one.

Can anyone explanin emqcs in this pic? All of them make sens except emacs

Precisely

I use emacs ama

Emacs is classically confusing because
1) It uses LISP in the background, which is a confusing language to begin with
2) It uses incredibly unconventional hotkey bindings

However, honestly, if nobody told you anything about VIM or Emacs and you just picked one and had to learn how to use it, neither would be more complicated than the other.

Thanks, something helpful actually.
I guess I'll just try emacs.
Once met rms, he's a nice guy, can't be that wrong kek

why are you gay?

Do the built-in tutorial and keep a cheat-sheet of the more common commands open somewhere.
It'll take you a little while to get used to all the C-x commands.

Thanks, already got one from a talk I watched last year. Didn't looked at it yet, but the guy said its like 10 sites. I guess I'll write my own, shorter one.

Why would anyone use nano over vim? Seems stupid.

I already know some vi/m (vis). I like them more than what i was initially specting (nethack an dungeon css played a big role in that). Intuitiv keybindings, lightweight (specially vi/s), the terminal is something i dont fear and i want to learn it a bit more, staying in it helps. Also, vi is found everywhere.

Now, Emacs. Org-mode. >>>> *. Can also work in the terminal. It can be your "only" installed software (extendable as hell). Lisp > vimscript. Keybindings are shit, however, evil mode exists (not perfect for what i've heard, but good enough). Learning is an investment, i do not mind spending some time to learn emacs. Are there any other reasons to learn emacs instead of vi/m (vis).
Ps: also thinking about learning joe. Many thanks beforehand

Nvim or vim. It's almost always on everything

why would anyone use shit overcomplicated text editors?

it'd be easier to answer your question if you gave an example of which text editor you consider overcomplicated

Dicks are great what's the problem

Imo it's nice to have everything in the editor instead of having to deal with other stuff like tmux

It doesn't matter. There is some great software for GNU Emacs (sophisticated editing modes essentially), if you want to engage in Common Lisp, or Coq.
But I've learned from my experience that you can do just well without a complex editor.
I use an ancient vi for small editing and GNU Emacs for programming or document preparation.

joe!

Hi Bisqwit.

Sublime

lmao bisqwit is literally the reason i picked up joe in the first place, you got me

he actually gave me his syntax file for c/c++ a couple weeks ago, fucking best color scheme out there

I started with vim but emacs seems neat too. I guess I'd say if you want to try both, get evil-mode for emacs.

What do you like about Joe? As far as I know Bisqwit uses it only because that's what he's always used.

he left a comment on some video a while back about how he couldn't stand the complexity of vi/emacs and considered nano a joke (don't quote me on this, i barely remember), so idk if it's just because it's what he's always used

for me i like it because it's familiar i guess. i can do way more than i can in nano, but the learning curve is the same

V-MAX

>not using nano

vim + proper buffers knowledge + tmux

Bump. Finally a nicely debated topic, it shall go on for a bit more

vim with various plugins, and of course FOLDING

The most useful plugin being the comment plugin (while there is a simple enough way to already do this without a plugin, it makes it a bit easier and faster)