Remember when PC's were comfy?

Remember when PC's were comfy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ySWOaiAn6Gk
youtube.com/watch?v=loGtzVRva40
youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-VlJVxc-g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oh I member!

Only thing I remember is the bad old days of OEMs using dirt cheap garbage hardware and Windows 95 crashing constantly.

purple-gray palette will always make feel comfy

Remember the days when you had to make a bootdisk to play a game because your system didn't have enough resources to run the game on top of your OS?

Remember the days when you had to assign IRQ, Delay and set dip switches to get sound to work?

your dip switch is set to 1

I'll show you a dip switch fuccboi

>Remember the days when you had to make a bootdisk to play a game because your system didn't have enough resources to run the game on top of your OS?
Playing around with autoexec.bat was usually enough.

>Remember the days when you had to assign IRQ, Delay and set dip switches to get sound to work?
Fuck, I hated those naming schemes. I had a Sound Blaster but I don't remember which one. I think it was Pro-compatible but besides that it was one of those cheap kind and didn't work that well with some games. Or IT tracker.

>Playing around with autoexec.bat was usually enough.
Not necessarily. To free up resources you often also had to revise the config.sys to remove unneeded drivers. You could create a config.sys menu and different configurations which then would also load specific sections of autoexec.bat.

Generally back then you had to know what was going on to be able to get shit working. Kinda like what linux is still about.

Soundblaster? I membeh.

Fucking Impulse Tracker.

I still use it to play my old self made tunes. Dat comfy nostalgia

who members using limewire to download Eminem - lose yourself and then find out you have 12 different cases of aids, ebola and zika but you could get rid of them if you installed the AMAZING FREE ANTI-VIRUS ANTI-MALWARE VIRUS CLEANER 1000™ WITH EXTRA CURSORS AND MSN EMOJI'S!

BLEZINSKI

Remember the days of fucking around doing hard resets because the PC didn't support ACPI shutdown?

Remember how doing this over and over fried the IDE controller and essentially bricked your fucking PC and having no computer for a year because computers were god damn expensive?

i member

No because I had an Amiga.

'member plugging and unplugging your hard drives and CD-ROM drives over and over in a dozen combinations trying to find some Master/slave combination that fucking worked?

>had a P133 Compaq with wacky drivers and built-in audio
>dad had to buy and install a Soundblaster anyway because our DOS games couldn't figure out what the fuck an ESS Audiodrive was

I played Cyberia, Whiplash, and Carmageddon without sound for months.

Yes.

Also ide158.exe was my friend. Still have somewhere...

Nobody will ever remember this on purpose because nostalgia is cancer that only removes the bad, creating this non-existent perfect history of years past that you can't argue against because they've spent decades mis-remembering it.

Then we have these shit threads every 6 hours where any actual representation of the past showing the countless number of problems not yet solved at the time causing the PC to trip over its own shoelaces are conveniently ignored en masse by simply selectively choosing to not post those pictures as everyone's hand is firmly on the next person's internet dick.

Yes, but I also remember setting all the jumpers properly and using UltraDMA cables so it always worked right the first time.

>and then the BIOS is so old it doesn't autodetect hard drive parameters

9/10 made me kek
Here's one internet

Those "problems" you describe are part of what made PC's so comfy back then. Computers have become so easy to operate now that they're no fun anymore.

Not everyone had an unstable piece of shit, just everyone who ran unpatched Windows 95 on a cheap prebuilt. Rebooting frequently for software crashes was pretty common on PCs before Windows as well.

It really wasn't that bad unless you were an absolute normie and wanted to learn how2computer without trying. That was basically impossible before WinME, as there was still stuff you had to manually configure, especially for gaming.

>Rebooting frequently for software crashes was pretty common on PCs before Windows as well.
I don't think you were there. That was a problem up until NT4.0.

everyone look at this luddite.

anyway what you meant to say was

>I want there to be more problems so "normies" don't have access to PCs at large so I can still pretend to be better than everyone else

jerking off to retro tech is a sign that you're a failure at technology now.

Modern PCs are pretty much driverless cars.

>That was a problem up until NT4.0.
Not him but he clearly said
>before Windows as well.
>as well.
Which implies that it was common on PCs with windows too. lrn2read

>Computers have become so easy to operate now that they're no fun anymore.
Literally install Gentoo. I guarantee you will get back your "fun" in the process.

It's not fun if there isn't some kind of worthwhile end goal to accomplish though. What's the point of linux if I can't run any real software or games on it?

yes oh god it was terrible

If you care about retro games and software, I've seen wine do better than modern windows. you can actually install wine on windows exactly for this reason.

Mod music is best music

Member making your own rounded ide cables?

>Remember how doing this over and over fried the IDE controller and essentially bricked your fucking PC and having no computer for a year because computers were god damn expensive?

No, because that wasn't a common problem.

I have a retrocomputing hoard (pic related) and I've been messing with PCs for over 2 decades, hard resetting them frequently, and never once have I encountered a failed IDE controller.

Fuck, I've even hotswapped IDE drives without frying the board.

For power cycling to fuck up your IDE controller, you must have been using some kind of Packard Bell-tier shitbox with a PC Chips motherboard or something.

no

there already is a retroshit thread

LGR is that you?

There aren't enough ncurses programs.

>Setup.exe
>Sound settings
>Sound Blaster or 100% Compatible
>Port 220
>IRQ 5 or 7
>DMA 1
>Music
>General Midi/Sound Blaster/Adlib/anyfuckingthing that worked
>Test Music

What test music played next anons?

PS the best answer is
youtube.com/watch?v=ySWOaiAn6Gk

Remember when you could destroy your motherboard by forgetting that black wires go together?

Remember when you had to manually set up IRQs and input hard drive parameters? Hell, remember when hard drives were only usable in the PC they were formatted in?

I can confirm this is LGR

FreeDOS is free.
You can easily program textual GUIs in Linux.

This is what the cool kids did. "Better air flow"

>Picture of a couple generic beige boxes
>retro computing hoard

Sure buddy, and I've got an entire server rack in my back room

youtube.com/watch?v=loGtzVRva40

The ncurses library is top tier.

Remember Bobby's World?
fat idiots.

It was a good show

>playing baldurs gate
>can't install anything on HDD so have to swap discs
>takes a million years to get anywhere because it seems like every fucking location is on a different disc

I mean, it probably wasn't that bad, but it felt bad at the time.

Ever tried Open Cubic? How was that back in the day?
Sry newfag here.

only if you paid dirt cheap prices

OEM shit was actually good back when they actually engineered their shit instead of just putting their branded plastics on foxconn prefabs

No, worked the first time for me :)

>works on my machine!

I fried two different motherboards IDE controllers by hotswapping in them in the late 90s. It can happen.

On the other hand I have never had a hard drive up and die on me ever, yet I believe anons who say it has happened to them numerous times through no fault of their own.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-VlJVxc-g