Is Ubuntu a meme? Is it good? gay

Is Ubuntu a meme? Is it good? gay

fgt

hueresohn

Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate are the only serious Linux desktops for the home user. Everything else is a meme.

Indeed, there are only a handful of real Linux distributions at all.

REHL
Ubuntu

Well shit, that's it. How about that.

>inb4 fedora, debian, etc

Memes to one extent or another, even though they are used to create the real distros.

It's an old African word meaning "I don't know how to setup Debian."

debian install is dog shit slow compared to ubuntu and inconvenient if you need non-free drivers from the start. also debian testing is much better than stable for desktop use, easier to just install ubuntu which uses debian testing repos than jump through all those hoops to get real debian testing

Thanks for proving my point !

>point !
>t !
>
What are you brain damaged or something bro? Why did you put a space in between the last letter of your sentence and the punctuation? Anyway back on topic, I do know how to set up Debian and I used it full time for about a year. Ubuntu is much more convenient in every way. If you use Debian stable for everyday desktop use you're just autistic and have no aim to get anything done. Name one reason for using Debian Testing over Ubuntu other than just being able to say you use Debian.

>Is [x] a meme?
>>>/global/rules/2

>If you use Debian stable for everyday desktop use you're just autistic and have no aim to get anything done
Replace Debian with any distro that isn't Ubuntu (or arguably, Fedora or OpenSUSE) and you have 99% of the Linux users on Sup Forums

I can install and config gentoo, arch or whatever i use under distro hopping, but ubuntu i a good place to go if i'm tired of meme distros and want to do something with minimal chance of regression.

Debian itself is fine, the stable repo's packages are outdated as fuck though, anyone using it should get testing. I haven't used stable lately but fucking everything was outdated last time I used it. C++ dev? All IDEs or text editors in the repo are outdated as fuck. Android dev? Java is old as shit. Playing any game? Good fucking luck the drivers are old as shit. The use cases for desktop use where Debian stable excels are small, even for the esoteric user.

Want to update to testing? Leave that shit on overnight and pray nothing breaks. Better to just install testing from the getgo. And Ubuntu beats out Debian testing at being Debian testing by being much more convenient. Looking for a reason why anyone would use testing over Ubuntu.

>Playing any game? Good fucking luck the drivers are old as shit.
*meant to say libraries. For example if you want to use steam it's a huge pain in the ass to get to work on Debian stable.

Wrong. You're the meme. The true answer is all the *buntus except Ubuntu are memes with shitty installers and shit default installations. The only true answer is to install Ubuntu and then put whatever DE you choose on top.

it doesn't make a difference you faggot

It does when the default install of Xubuntu is total shite and the entire OS crashes when you try to drag and drop something from the archive manager to the file manager

dini fetti mueter

>Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate
This
Default Ubuntu installs with DE thrown over them still suffer bloat and Ubuntu theme shit

i've had no problems

RHEL is not a meme due to the technical support that comes from having a license for it. BUT you'd better actually be using it for what it was designed for (work) not installing it or CentOS on your desktop and pretending to be a pro.

there's no reason to install Ubuntu now that Solus exists.

I just tried that with Xubntu 16.04 and it worked perfectly. You are full of shit.

Debian testing is sane and Ubuntu overbloated.
And yes, if it's for laptop or desktop use, you should install testing from the start, preferably the netinst, stable is for servers.
You seem mad af though, may I ask why?

>Name one reason for using Debian Testing over Ubuntu other than just being able to say you use Debian
Debian is just easier to administer if you know what you are doing.
Debian stable has very few updates, and they are just security updates.
So I don't have to download gigabytes of update monthly unlike other distros on multiple releases per year or (worse) rolling-distros.
I'm sure that the behaviour will not change by some unexpected update that got pushed too soon.

I just have to worry about updates every two years, when the new stable comes, unlike Ubuntu (or Mac, or Windows) where just as soon the OS stabilizes it's time for the new update!
I read the errata first to know if there is something that is going to break on my system, take my measures then it's 2 years of peace of mind without half baked and broken non-features.

For example the recent Ubuntu LTS broke video drivers for many users. That's unacceptable.
This doesn't happen in Debian Stable

>But Debian stable is outdated
As long as it works, it is stable and feature complete I don't care about the version number.
Also there is backports, appimage files and I can compile the programs I care about, thank you very much, I don't need hand holding.
Instead of distro-hoping, looking for the perfect binary package mix (there isn't) take a break and learn to compile from source.

Also Debian has the better apt infrastructure, unlike Debian derivatives like Ubuntu or (worse) Mint.
Mint has taken a big shit on apt (update tiers, frankendebian, mixing ubuntu debian packages, renaming packages, etc) but even in Ubuntu apt just doesn't work as reliably as Debian.
And the whole main/universe/multiverse differentiation of packages isn't very professional and don't get me started on PPAs, talk about a bad practise that teaches users to be lazy and trusting random binary repositories instead of compiling from source.

that's not GNOME, nigger

OP Ubuntu is the most stable linux distro. The rest are just memes. I've tried a bunch and Ubuntu is the only consistently stable one.

>You seem mad af though, may I ask why?
how else am i going to get those juicy (You)'s

Well I've had problems with Xubuntu glitching out on me, that's why I've stopped using it.

>netinst
Netinst is slow as fuck compared to a torrent, and to netinst in the first place you need your non free wifi drivers. How is Ubuntu bloated?

>How is Ubuntu bloated?
Not him, and I'm also neutral towards Ubuntu, but it comes with considerably more pre-installed packages than other distros.

>comes with considerably more pre-installed packages than other distros.
You've got a point there, but I don't mind. It's not like it slows down my system. And the ones I actually do use are nice to have preinstalled. Is that the only reason why it's bloated?

>debian install is dog shit slow compared
Dear god, i love use the "mini.iso" to use the debian installer.

It works well and is relatively easy to use for newcomers. If you don't have a bunch of experience with Linux, use Ubuntu. If you do, use CentOS.

>inb4 fedora, debian, etc

Ubuntu is basically Debian you fuckwit.