Why the FUCK are we not using sound to power things yet?

Why the FUCK are we not using sound to power things yet?

>loud ass engines produce massive sound waves
>dissapate into the atmosphere instead of harvested

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because we don't want to listen to that shit.

That's the point dummy. You can use the sound for power instead of blaring it for everyone to hear.

It's not that powerful.

the roar of a train engine or the whine of a pneumatic drill—only translates to about a hundredth of a watt per square meter

Not much power in sound

I recommend you research how much energy sound actually carries.

Protip: excluding pressures that kill would you, the amount of energy transmitted is very low.

So why are we not investing into better technology to improve the efficiency? Our massive hydroelectric plants started off as shitty water mills.

This, so much this. If you want proof of this, find some ~100 watt RMS speakers and crank them up to full blast. It will be uncomfortably loud and being too close to them for an extended period of time will damage your hearing permanently. Our ears are terrible but it still doesn't take a lot of energy to produce sound loud enough to be damaging. Keep in mind that if you were to try convert this back into electricity, you have to contend with the sound energy going in every single direction. Think trying to power a solar panel with a light bulb.

Because there isn't a reasonable amount of energy to capture to make it worthwhile. It has nothing to do with efficiency.

Even with 100% efficiency it would be a totally retarded way of gathering energy.

Efficiency won't do jack shit if there not enough energy to begin with.

>build bigger engines
>produce more sound
>b-b-but there is not enough

repeat until there is "enough"

god you are an idiot

you can't just make it more "efficient" and create energy where there was none in the first place

Then you'd be using more energy just to produce the sound you mong

I thought I was pretty clear that I excluded fatal pressures.

TL;DR:
Not fatal pressure: not worth it
Fatal pressure: what the fuck are you doing?

No you would use more energy to power then engine

Why not harvest the excess heat of incandescent light bulbs once Trump gets into office and repeals/bans Obamabulbs?

>energy transmitted is low
Prove it right now.

excluding pressures that kill would you

Because you'd have to waste a bunch of energy making the vibrations in the first place. It's only useful for a weapon really, obvious stuff aside. It'd make more sense to try to use frackin' gun powder.

That's what I thought. Sound waves made by airplanes may not produce as much energy as say a rocket which are strong enough to severely damage the rocket itself during takeoff but the collected energy gathered by the hundreds of active engines on runways could add up to something.

>Prove it right now.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound
Also, I could recommend a good high school physics book.

>the collected energy gathered by the hundreds of active engines on runways could add up to something.
About enough to collect more energy than it took to produce the collectors within a hundred-ish years. Well worth it, I'd say.

100% efficiency might not be enough but imagine if we did more research and found out how to do 500% or 10000% efficiency

Look up "law of conservation of energy" in your Physics 101 book.

Are people really this stupid? I haven't physically interacted with another human in over 4 months. I don't remember if people are usually this dumb.

Worse

S T O R A G E.

Any energy recycling method will never be worth it because the infrastructure costs are THROUGH THE FUCKING ROOF.

This is why stupid shit like Solar Roadways won't work either.
Solar Roadways would never pay itself off for several generations simply due to the infrastructure costs and storage.

They are not viable energy methods.
They won't be viable until humans reach post-scarcity society where we are driven Because We Can, rather than Need To Do.
And given we reach such a point in the future, we'd never need to recycle the energy from sound.

I remember seeing some retarded fucking shit where roads would have springs under them that get pushed down to produce energy.
Yeah, all that energy being transferred from a car trying to drive over it. Great idea, let's directly pollute by trying to get minute amounts of energy. GENIUS. Fucking Calitards.

You are confirmed 10000% retarded street

How loud are ship engines?

my car's engine makes sound guys can't i just power it with the sound instead of gas?

If this is unironic please neck yourself right now

Deafening assuming you're near the propeller.
You'll never hear again.

Engines also produce heat and vibration, that would be much easier to capture.

Capturing the sound waves mean you don't hear shit.