/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Zen Is Comming Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:
AMD Zen:
techpowerup.com/227944/amds-zen-rumored-for-january-17th-launch-8-cores-with-16-threads-for-usd-300
guru3d.com/news-story/amd-zen-8-core-summit-ridge-to-launch-january-17th-2017.html

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/7w4Bhq
pcpartpicker.com/list/CL3vbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/JrFK2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/2BW9tJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/ccWBhq
pcpartpicker.com/list/VcdrYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/PWnLwV
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/bLkWBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/GwLcRG
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=yzYrHx
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/YtpzFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/b4mkgL
au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Venzan/saved/7Rwzyc
pcpartpicker.com/list/RLytKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/N2mmFd
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/w6pzFd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ZEN WHEN

it's gonna disappoint, dont get your hopes up

What's a good way to tidy up these fan cables and the AC'97 on the bottom?

Yes, I know I need to be using reusable ties to start. I've been making the switch gradually.

my next builds:

workstation:
> 8c * 3 GHz Zen/Summit Ridge
> 64 GB ECC DDR4
> 512 GB Samsung Pro
> 10 GbE NIC if on-die controller isn't exposed in SR platform
> whatever RX 4xx/GTX 10xx card is on sale

gaymen box:
> high clocked 4c Skylake or Kaby Lake I guess
> 16-32 GB DDR4
> 512 GB Samsung Pro
> Vega 10 or 1080 Ti

NAS:
> Gigabyte MB10-DS4 (4c Xeon-D with onboard SFP+ 10GbE)
> 32 GB ECC DDR4
> 5x 4 TB in RAID5 or equivalent
> Intel 750 SSD cache

pcpartpicker.com/list/7w4Bhq
Going to be playing at 1440p.
Critique pls.

Any good HDD deals going on right now? Looking to get a 2TB and a 1TB. Just had my one and only storage drive die on me, a 3TB drive, and I'm turbomad because everything was on it. Gonna use the 1TB as dormant storage of stuff I won't often look at often, and the 2TB for active shit (music, toku, games etc).

any word on when will cryorig fans be avaible again? no shop around me has them

pcpartpicker.com/list/CL3vbj
Thoughts? I'm not convinced on the mobo, SSD, or HDD.

Build will be for school (infosec, virtualization) and moderate gaming.

Can get OS from school software distribution for free.

Any suggestions on monitors? I'd like 2 but desk space limited. Thinking either 1 27in 1440p or 2 24in 1080p, does that sound reasonable?

Chillingly based.

This is everything I have in my current system. I'm looking to upgrade, but can't decide what to do first. Currently have ~$400 to spend.

pcpartpicker.com/list/JrFK2R

Also, what the hell is happening to DDR4? I only paid $68 for those 2 sticks back in June.

Everyone is buying it silly. Well not me because I don't know if I should upgrade to DDR4 or not.

Get a current gen meme70.

No HDD? Bigger SSD for #2? You're already set for 2 years.

I plan on saving for a 1080 instead of buying a 1070 now and trying to sli it later.
Nope, never had an HDD in it. I was thinking about getting a 950 evo m.2

I'm using a tv as a monitor, should I just upgrade and get a proper monitor?

Pic related

>saving for a 1080
Good choice. *70s don't last as long.

I don't think the performance difference is worth the price now. Maybe when it was cheaper.

I've had my 970 for a while, but I've been looking to upgrade it since I bought it.
I don't want to do that shit again with a 1070.

970 owner here, what's so bad about it? other than it being 3.5gb

Please improve this and make it cheaper:
pcpartpicker.com/list/2BW9tJ

Use: Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender (mostly modeling), After Effects (mostly compositing still images), Microsoft Visual Studio, make it Source 2 engine proof and able to play games like Red Orchestra 2 and EU4 on max

Nothing wrong with it for 1080p gaming, but I want to move to high refresh and 1440p. It probably wouldn't survive that.

I live in the U.S. and own a 1080p 23" monitor

> i5-6500
> GTX 1060
> 8GB RAM
> 500W PSU
> Case
> Mobo
> 240GB SSD

Can a madman get me all of this for around $700-$720 max?

Im thinking of getting an old Xeon E5-1650 for $45 and a used 970 for gaymes and 3dm.

Do you think that is reasonable?

pls be my friend

pcpartpicker.com/list/ccWBhq
$640

I am thinking about buying a new mouse, what's Sup Forums's opinion on the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer?

so I'm not the only one anxious for the Arrival of Zen

Solid, but I'd spend the extra $60 on a bigger case like the R5 for more room to upgrade into imo.

I'm not holding my breath. AMD's eyes are so smeared with poo that they can't see how far behind they are.

Are you still the user that asked for the build?

No I just like critiquing.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VcdrYr
Oh, well theres this one anyways. Atx board and mid tower.

user here.

How big of a difference will the 1x8 RAM sticks and Mini 1060 make over 2x4 sticks and a regular 1060? I'm trying to stay around $670 here since ive always spent $150 on monitor + accessories and I want to stay under $850 (not including rebates).

>t. paid Intel shill
The market needs this. Intel's monopoly has given us a stagnation.

pcpartpicker.com/list/PWnLwV
Just want to get some opinions on this build and if I might need a better power supply.
I already have the GPU and PSU listed here.

It wouldn't be vast. I'd get the 1x8 so you can buy another one later and run 16gb in dual channel,.

If it's even remotely good I plan on buying one to go with AMD's RX 490 or whatever Vega ends up being called. I want AMD to succeed an if it can keep up with a 6 core Intel processor in any application, it should be more than good enough for my desktop needs.

Laptop will stay Intel though

Get a modular seasonic PSU instead. They're quiet and well made.

Give it to me straight desus
I'm planning on buying the parts for a solid build over the next couple of months.
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/bLkWBP
1. Am I memeing myself by buying parts over the course of a couple months or should I just save all the money until I'm ready to buy everything
2. Am I memeing myself with an i5 this late into their lifespan? I'm just gonna be doing some gayming on a 1440p 75hz monitor, will it bottleneck before the 1070 does?
3. Am I memeing myself with a 1070, or should I buy everything a couple weeks earlier with the cheaper 1060?
4. What's the cheapest but still decent motherboard for this build? I don't want to fork out 250 bucks for a meme gaymer board but I don't know exactly how different z170 boards get.

Is 16 GB of RAM worth it? All current games only require 8.

It makes no discernable difference in any current game, and extra ram is easy enough to install. I'm just getting 8gb on a 1070 build.

>i7
>GTX 1080
>120GB SSD
One of these does not fit

Get 3000MHz RAM
Depends on what moderate gaming means, but the 1060 is for 1080p AAA games

If you use production software, 16gb has its benefits.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GwLcRG

is it worth it?

Thanks anons.

the intel jew dick is now so far up your ass it perforates your brain and makes you post shit like this

Someone (you) me for me pls :)

>57622700 (You)

Save up and get a nice 1440p Gsync monitor and a GTX 1070, probably a little under 1000USD. Otherwise you're on a plateau with your current build

You're probably fine as is

>I plan on saving for a 1080
Don't buy a 1080, retard. 1070 or 1080Ti

It's fine for $45

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=yzYrHx
Add another $75 for the graphics card, with sales you can get it down to 700

(You'd)
Get 3000MHz RAM
Get 240GB SSD
1. Yes
2. No
3. Not for 1440p
4. 120USD, not sure about kangabux

No

Worth it for what?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/YtpzFd
There is some thermal compound preapplied on the cooler, but you might want to get some NT-H1 or whatever.

Do you spread thermal paste with something like an old debit card or do you just plop it on there? I think i've been doing it wrong.

I like AMD and I never said that it was going to be shit. I just said I wasn't going to hold my breath.
The market needs the competition, but I don't know if AMD will be able to deliver.

Tiny dot in center of chip

And that's it? nothing else?

>get a nice 1440p Gsync monitor and a GTX 1070, probably a little under 1000USD
Dude, I only have $400.

This and then spread it like pic related for maximum concentration of thermal compound.

thanks for the (you)s and attempted (you)s fellas
Last question; some guy is willing to sell me a HP computer that has an i7 chip in it and a 27 inch 1080p samsung monitor for 250 kangbux, but he doesn't know the actual product names. Should I go for it anyway?

>best zen
>as powerful as i7 6900k
>300usd

On the 0.1% chance that's true, I'll buy one day one.

That it's. The paste will spread itself when the heat sink is put on the cpu.

That's why I literally said "save up" right before I suggested the monitor + 1070

>maximum concentration

Maybe, you could put a 1050Ti in it but that's probably as powerful a graphics card as you can use because no PCIe power connectors in prebuilts

I was thinking more along the lines of taking the chip out, considering i7 chips cost around 400 bucks in aus. Take out the cpu and cannabilise whatever else I can from the case and save me buying more parts.

Huh, I guess I've been doing it the wrong way then.

pcpartpicker.com/list/b4mkgL
Ayy i'm planning on buying this for gayming
i have about 600$ budget.
should i spend more on a i5 and buy a cheaper MOBO? i got a little upgrade on budget so i planned on buying a 70$ mATX.

Also i don't plan on buying especifically that ZOTAC 1050ti, i'm just using it as a placeholder for any 1050ti really.

Oh, I didn't notice. So, what til January for the 1080ti then?

If I move a cpu between two different computers, will I keep the OS?

No

What do I need to do to keep the os

au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Venzan/saved/7Rwzyc

an user in the previous /pcbg/ made me paranoid about this hsf

Cryorig H7 literally disappeared in Australia, so the 212 is my backup, any replacement?

Move the storage drive that has the os installed on it.

>should i spend more on a i5 and buy a cheaper MOBO?
If you don't plan on getting a Kaby Lake CPU, definitely yes. If you can stretch your budget just a little and don't want the mentioned Kaby Lake, get this: pcpartpicker.com/list/RLytKZ
You can obviously skip the HDD and cooler since the i5-6500 has one included and maybe get a cheaper case like the N300, but this build is a quality budget silent build with reasonable power, upgradeability and reuseability.

Can I move the OS to a different storage drive then get rid of it afterwards?

>this build
Fucking why...

Why not just get the Evo for dirt cheap? And a 620w PSU would likely accommodate you fine as well.

You could migrate the os to another drive, yes.
But, get rid of what?

If you keep a Z170 mobo get 3000MHz RAM
For an i3 all you need is a B150
Get the RX470 instead of the GTX1050Ti, keep the i3

Yep

No but pirating windows is easy

what's wrong with it?

thanks a lot my dude i couln't get decide since i'm not really all that great at building PC's

have this dank meme as a reward

the original storage drive

Transfer mobo and HDD as well, if it's an OEM key

Nah m8 you're fucking up, read the other reply to your post. I can't see why people take the first reply as truth. You're on Sup Forums

Yeah, you can do that.

not that guy but your parts aren't really balanced for that build. Unnecessary PSU, Mobo etc.

Used the guide in the OP, how does this look? Will be salvaging a 750 psu and a 1070 from my old build

Can someone confirm all this stuff is compatible?

>1070
>old build
??

It's fine but I would prefer to have redundant storage

I'm in a cycle of upgrade computer, then upgrade gpu, then upgrade computer, then upgrade gpu

I've been doing this for like 20 years now

Too much. If you have to ask, you should do some research..

I do the same thing but every 2-3 years because I'm not rolling in dosh.

Tryna get a pretty good, future proof build.
>inb4 muh 1070 i7 meme!!!
just tell me if my build will blow up anytime soon, as it's my 1st one, i have literally no idea what i'm doing

pcpartpicker.com/list/N2mmFd

it's shit

here I fixed it

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/w6pzFd

why can't the first reply be correct?
also, i feel as if i'm buying the RX470 i may as well buy a 1060 3gb for like 20 bucks more and that i can't really afford

I don't really expect anyone to know the answer, but here goes anyway. GTX 1080 SLI suffers from PCI-E bandwidth bottlenecks on my Z87 (4.7GHz 4790K) system, since the cards are only running at PCI-E x8 and the required bandwidth at 4K with certain techniques (temporal AA & co.) just doesn't fit.

The "obvious" solution where performance is better is a x16/x16 X99 system, but 5930K/6850K are very expensive. Does anyone know if Z87/97 mobos which come with those PLX PCI-E switches can alleviate the b/w bottleneck? I know the CPU still only has 16 lanes available, but I'm thinking that since the GPUs should only have to talk to each other for SLI data transfer, that could potentially be done through the PLX chip. I'm very happy with my CPU as far as performance goes and spending $600 on one just so I get more PCI-E lanes seems like a huge waste, not to mention that I'd have to dump my perfectly good mobo and RAM too.

whats the best monitor i can get, budget is around 350-400 USD?

For 1080 or 1440? Anything by Acer is relatively good for the price.