arxiv.org/pdf/1611.05250v1.pdf
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/pull/3307
manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man1/mpv.1.html
madshi.net/madVR/NGU/clown4xNguSharp.png
madshi.net/madVR/NGU/clownOrgLanczos.png
madshi.net/madVR/NGU/clown4xNguSoft.png
forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1785876&postcount=40116
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is it the most recent and best mpv windows build?
i.fsbn.eu/pub/mpv-x86_64-latest.7z

I'm using mpv on Windows.. can anyone explain to me why the colors look so fucking lifeless?

Because you're using dxva2

>Installation for windows, osx and linux distributions:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

make a mpv.conf file where mpv.exe is
put this in your conf
profile=opengl-hq
hwdec=no
priority=high
???
profit

I have choppy playback without opengl-dcomposition=no, is it normal?

Are you on windows with an amd card?

AMD APU

Real-Time Video Super-Resolution with Spatio-Temporal Networks and Motion Compensation
arxiv.org/pdf/1611.05250v1.pdf

What do they mean by real-time?
SSimSuperRes is real-time too. Doesn't it?

I have weird image when using SSimSuperRes with 720p files and panscan! Is it a known issue?

WTF! Nnedi3 32ns with SSimSuperRes.glsl with mpv on windows is faster and better than madVR with NGU low! What is this black magic?

these newer builds are making everything I play lag badly

Which builds? I just downloaded lachs0rs new build and so far so good.

his and shinchiros
I'm going to do a clean install, and see If a recent gpu driver update could have caused it

*and the lag only happens in fullscreen, or if I resize the window so that it is about fullscreen

Did you try?
opengl-dcomposition=no

Did you try this build?
i.fsbn.eu/pub/mpv-x86_64-latest.7z

Is that an official build? Whose is it?

can someone post their config with the new syntax?

mpv.conf
pastebin.com/SztLExfA

input.conf
pastebin.com/w4QkY01E

What's wrong with the OP's ones?

So opengl-dcomposition=no doesn't fix your laggy playback?
Did it work before?
Is it working with empty mpv.conf file?

Different user, I was just wondering where this random build is from.

Is there a way to run MPV headless from the command line to play audio?

Yo Bros whats the name of that website where i can download shit into mp4 and other formats with just a url. White and blue color format

Yes, there is a PR for that.

It's a personal build from a anonymous guy, so yes it's unsafe!

yes

Is there anything like madvr and reclock for mpv? MPC has such good quality I find it hard to swap to mpv.

Didnt you just make a thread about this?
Just use youtube-dl

Would you please elaborate on how to utilize that feature?

Reclock and madVR features exist in mpv itself!

it does that by default

Where? In the mpv github repository?

ooh! Are they on by default?

mpv

Launches a blank MPV window for me.
Is there a way to force it, regardless? I'm working on a script to parse/search youtube and use MPV with youtube-dl to play it, and I'd like the option of forcing headless mode for streaming audio.

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/pull/3307

manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man1/mpv.1.html

I cant i only have an android phone

No, not all the features by default, it would be insane because there are tons of features!

>ReClock:
video-sync=display-resample

>madVR:
There are bunch of features!
Look at the mpv manuals and user-scripts/shaders/prescalers from the OP.

Don't waste your time.
You won't be able to match it with madvr.

Any recommendations of features?

Thanks! Damn, it's a pretty old PR!

It's up to you and your graphic card!
profile=opengl-hq is safe and much better than madVR defaults.

MadVR is built with oldish shits, yes it works with winXP but who cares?

>The OSC is enabled by default if mpv was compiled with Lua support. It can be disabled entirely using the --osc=no option.
Still launches a black screen.

>What do they mean by real-time?
It means “you don't need a supercomputer”

fine for me with no arguments

wtf i hate madvr now

How do I use shaders?

Maybe it's using pseudo-gui mode because you have no STDOUT attached to the mpv process? Try --player-operation-mode=cplayer, just to confirm my suspicion

In mpv.conf:
opengl-shaders="~~/shaders/you-shader-file-name.glsl"

What's the best shader for upscaling?

Yes, it will be pretty similar, if your upscaling factor isn't bigger than 2x.
Here is a comparison of NGU (high) 4x upscaling
madshi.net/madVR/NGU/clown4xNguSharp.png
vs ewa_lanczos + SSimSuperRes + adaptive_sharpen

It's up to your preferences!

Purists prefer to not use custom shaders and use ewa_* scalers!
cscale=ewa_lanczos
scale=ewa_lanczossharp

Please share the NGU picture with soften edges and add grain enabled!
Damn why are you using SSimSuperRes with adaptive-sharpen, look at all the ringing artefacts!

However NGU low is slower and it's completely insane to buy another GPU for this!

>muh water color meme

It's the incomplete NGU...

adaptive_sharpen doesn't add any ringing, they are from source image and NGU can avoid them.

Wait, if I update, I have to fix my config?

Are you using the latest SSimSuperRes and adaptive-sharpen shaders?
What the fuck, there are ringing everywhere!

see and madshi.net/madVR/NGU/clownOrgLanczos.png

Lol, sometimes things change and evolve!

What about SSimSuperRes?

No, I'm not updating then. No reason to, really.

There were some improvements, don't know if they react better with ringing.

Are you new here? That shader's main objective is to reduce ringing from upscaler.

mpv regularly deprecates configuration options, and then removes them a few releases later.

As long as you're fixing any deprecation warnings that mpv shows you after an ugprade you're fine.

>haasn - wm4: mpv clearly needs a startup routine that benchmarks various compositor configurations and selects the best at runtime :^)
>haasn - or an installer to do it :^^^)
Clearly this will be the end of mpc-hc/madvr and other directshits...

Yes it reduces but not as much as madshi's algo do.

>NGU picture with soften edges and add grain enabled
madshi.net/madVR/NGU/clown4xNguSoft.png

>algo
What algo?
>not as much
Prove it.

Much better but it was with default values and incorrect add grain algo. ;)
The 0.91.1 release has some NGU improvements.
Furthermore I was comparing with NGU low, I think this one use NGU high.

actually, ngu low is relatively fast. you just need to optimize all the other settings for high speed. try this:

- luma doubling: ngu low
- chroma doubling: disabled (!!)
- image upscaling: catrom ar (!!)
- superres: disabled (!!)

you can also try the "soften edges" and "add grain" options to make the ngu upscaled images appear less comic like.

it seems polaris gpus dont like ngu atm, though. they perform much slower than any other gpu from amd or nvidia.

Bah look at the picture comparison you did before.
It's just night and day.

I tried these settings too.
I was just amazed by the performance of mpv!

It's not an algo, it's just a neural network trained to recognize those artifacts in the source image and avoid them. mpv doesn't have any deringing algo at all. You shouldn't use lanczos to downscale image in the first place.

you have a good point there. usually people seem to use catmull-rom to downscale. but catmull-rom produces quite noticeable ringing, too. not as strong as lanczos, but still.

anyway. looking at the ngu soften/grain image, it has too much grain for my taste, but other than that it looks pretty good to me. clearly better than nnedi + ssimsuperres.

btw, have you seen the monoke comparisons in the doom9 thread? those were made with catmull-rom downscaling. crazy good results for ngu there:

forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1785876&postcount=40116

this comparison also has images from mpdn, using nnedi + ssimsuperres for comparison.

Also with ewa_lanczos + SSimSuperRes + adaptive_sharpen

interesting. yours looks better than the mpdn screenshots from the doom9 thread!

ngu and waifu are in another league with this test image, though.

>madshi.net/madVR/NGU/clown4xNguSharp.png
look ma, I can do even better!

See how sharp it is? Still has a few artifacts but I'm sure I can remove those as well with a bit more effort optimizing my algorithm for this exact image

I currently use potplayer, mostly for the playlist feartures, am I missing much?

>mpv doesn't have any deringing algo at all.
Actually it does, see `scale-antiring`. It's a trivial limiter though

>you have a good point there. usually people seem to use catmull-rom to downscale. but catmull-rom produces quite noticeable ringing, too. not as strong as lanczos, but still.
Best way to downscale IMO is linear light mitchell (widened)

(Those are also the mpv opengl-hq defaults)

Learn the difference between anti-ringing and deringing.
>scale-antiring
Thit algo is shit.

makes sense, mitchell has low ringing. its soft, though.

haha, youre funny!!

youve seen the "NguSoft" version of that image, though, havent you? its much easier to tame a clean and overly sharp image ("comic look") down than to improve a soft and aliased image.

Soft is great for downscaling. In fact, it's good at avoiding typical aliasing artifacts from downsampling. Although mitchell performs far better at it than other ‘soft’ algorithms like gaussian and bicubic

all has its pros and cons i guess. i seem to be a sucker for sharpness. dont like the "comic look", though. the sharpness has to look natural.

Are you sure we're still talking about downscaling and not upscaling?

oh well, the comic look comment was aimed at upscaling. but for downscaling i like sharp, too.

Why does dxva2 cause lifeless colors compared to swdec?

Because dxva2 is shit

But why.

Because microsoft, I guess? I dunno, VDPAU is just as shitty, and that one was made by nvidia. Maybe the GPU manufacturers are to blame for this.

Bottom line is, you simply can't get a ‘normal’, straight-up decoded image out of dxva2, unless you copy it back to system RAM (dxva2-copy), which is inefficient.

Oh well I use dxva2-copy anyway so I guess I don't have to worry about the washed out colors then.

Nope, although you still have to worry about potential performance issues, image corruption, bandwidth limitations, bad seeking, and more “fun” stuff that hardware decoding loves to do

Because you are lifeless.

>From a doom9 fag, it's epic:
I also love it sharp, but i'm legally blind, so yeah, everything must be over sharpened hell for me to enjoy.

Is it possible that people love extra sharpness only because they spend too much time in front of their screen/monitor/television?

Because the DXVA2 API requires the video image to be converted to RGB in order to use it as a Direct3D texture on the GPU. Some drivers use limited-range RGB for this conversion, but there's no way for the API user to tell whether they do that or not.

Still no madshi's shaders leak?