Ive installed archlinux now what

Fucked during installation and forgot my password for my local user - how do I reset this? Note that I have not installed any desktop environment gui like people have said.

How the fuck do I do anything with just a CLI. Is it even possible to play a gayme.

Other urls found in this thread:

howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>fucked during installation
By your boyfriend?

# passwd [USER]

Fucked up installation*

Is there a way to have no password and autologin after entering a userlogin like windows so it just werks?

General question: Is it possible with just a CLI to do everything? (play Dota2) for example

You should have installed Solus instead.

Isnt that an easy distro to install like ubuntu

>like Ubuntu
Even easier actually.

>Is there a way to have no password and autologin after entering a userlogin like windows so it just werks?
Yes, though your login manager.
>General question: Is it possible with just a CLI to do everything? (play Dota2) for example
No. Graphical software requires a graphical environment.

So can someone answer

>he needs a GUI
Weebs confirmed for wangblows-tier tech illiterate cocksuckers.

You can use a terminal emulator as window manager (or something more sensible like emacs howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html)

But directly playing a game like dota2. Is it possible with just a CLI? like assuming you install everything correctly, the game client will display and all you can somehow access the "play button" within steam and play? Or a gui is completely necessary especially when playing games (steam client clicking play)

"Just use [Enter] as your password.. it's much simpler.. much easier to remember." - rms

What do you mean by just a CLI? If you mean the framebuffer console before X gets started then no. Steam relies on X for graphics (X is also responsible for loading your graphics driver etc.)
But if you want to be hyper1337 and just make it look like you only need a CLI, then start urxvt with X and start steam with `steam &` or sth. But you can't move the window or something, so it sucks big time

I mean like, have all your graphical drivers installed, but when you want to play a game you just type like cd Steam\Steamapp.exe and then somehow move to the Steamapp.exe client and execute dota2 or someshit

I just mean no gui at all except the game it self

yes, but it's way better than any other distro.
I feel like DC's Flash when using solus

It's possible. But you'll need to get the app id of Dota 2. I can't remember the exact commands. But if you've ever hosted a steam game server, it's the same process.

Google: "Launch steam app from terminal" or something :)

Guys -- Ive just watched some Archlinux vs Gentoo comparisons and everyone seems to shit on Archlinux saying Gentoo is superior - in that Archlinux is unstable, buggy, etc.

Did I fuck up? I thought Archlinux was most elit3 1337 autistic haxer OS, but I guess Gentoo is with direct kernel manipulation. But I don't have the fucking time and effort to learn hundreds of pages of documentation with Gentoo

Oh my FUCK

Thanks for the info, I figured it was possible.
Opinions on the above?

Gui and cli are completely different concepts.
In text only, you can only display text in a fixed width glyph matrix. This is your Linux tty.
In a gui, you have cursors and windows and other graphical shit. It's like you see on windows.

Arch, at minimum to play dota, you'll need to install X, xinit, some window manager and your graphics drivers.
Then you need to configure X and your window manager.
And then run startx from cli.
From there you can spawn a terminal emulator and use it as you describe.

There is a way to run X for one program only as well, but that's hopelessly inconvenient.

aight, so start a terminal emulator (xterm or whatever) as your window manager in your .xinitrc and then you start your app in the emulator. everything will be fullscreen, so no app switching. but when you exit DOTA you're back on the desktop.

cli stands for cucks lamenting installing (linux)

From the looks of it Archlinux website and its documentation isn't completely noob friendly, like theres no start (is there?) to "CLICK HERE IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK ARCHLINUX IS" or titles of the same header.

Basically, how the fuck do you archlinux *properly* ? I feel like Koding with Karlie right now typing cd cd cd ls cd sudo pacman

it's not beginner friendly in the way that you have to read a shitton (or already have a lot of experience which means having read all that shit in the past)

but it gives you all the information and choices, so if you like to know exactly (for many many people too much!) what you're doing, then go for it.

thanks for explaining, i'm just throwing around solutions.

one minor detail: no need for a window manager, that's just the fancy overhead for borders. try replacing your wm with xinit for example, it'll work!

have u got an AUR wrapper? like pacaur? it allows you to easily install stuff from the much larger arch user repos the same way you would install stuff using pacman (same commands). If not, look up how to install from the AUR and install pacaur or yaourt or some such AUR helper, I think you need to install Cower aswell for pacaur to work, but once its set up you dont need to fuck around with cloning git's and manually building pkgs

>installs os
>forgets to install x11
>forgets to set password
you're a retard for a start, but if you actually knew anything about linux you'd know about chroot

Did anyone tell you to
>>Check the MD5SUMS or the SHA1?

If you start by the beginers guide and try to understand what it tells you to do instead of just copy/pasting comands it is noob frendly. The noob just needs to be intrested in learning.

Depends on how you install it. I'd recommend using Manjaro (a distribution built on Arch) if you want to try Arch out.

As for stability, Arch is definitely not as stable as Gentoo. Just switching kernel caused my system GUI to lag on Arch. It might be the kernels fault thou. Arch also had some problems on my laptop where closing the lid caused major lag when opened again. But I fixed most of my problems (wifi, sound) by switching to dirty closed-source drivers which was very easy.

I have not tried Gentoo (yet) but they seem to compile all packages from source which is sounds comfy.

Correct, probably the kernels fault. Which is why most major distros come with a single kernel that the whole thing is tested. With Arch you're running your own configuration, which might not have been tried before. It's not Archs fault that your system is unstable and it doesn't make any guarantees.

man passwd

Well said & thank you senpai.