Graphic design on Mac nowdays

Hey lads,
I'm a graphic designer/illustrator and until now, I have been working exclusively on Windows systems with absolutely no problem at all.

Now, I've been hired by a new company and this is just great, except my boss is the biggest Mac fanboy I've ever seen, and he's deciden of his own initiative to fit my office with an iMac.

He kept going on about
>how faster
>simply better
>muh shortcuts
>you'll never go back to PC ever again
it is gonna be. How much of this is actually true? I do know Macs were a step above PC when it comes to graphic design quite some years ago, but I'm not sure this is no longer the case.

How fucked am I?

Not at all. Your programs are exactly the same. You can drop files on the app icon on the dock and it will open. LIKE MAGIC. Finder is nicer than Explorer, when it doesn't shit the bed on a network drive.

It's fine. Use the tools you're given. Or just install Windows on it. Get back to work.

A job is a job. You will be fine. There should be no problem using a mac, because the os was designed to be used by unskilled people.

in general os x is a nicer OS for graphic design. actually, in general too. 4 years ago when i started work, i only used windows, and was surprised by how nice it was. it, as they say, just werks.

you could either learn the mac keyboard and all the shortcuts again, or use a windows keyboard and map the windows key to cmd.

as far as never going back, well...the only reason i still use my win7 desktop is for games/general browsing. i use my mbp for work/side projects and all that.

you've been given the kushiest job there is and you're upset your boss is giving you the wrong multi thousand dollar computer?

That's the thing though, I'm not an unskilled person, so I'm worried that the dumbfuckness of iOS will hinder my workflow or not.

Your boss gave you an iMac not an iPad dumbass.

You do know you can install and dual boot Windows on that iMac natively, right?

iOS is for Applephones and Appletabs. OSX is the AppleWindows.

Again: You will be fine. Most programs have an apple version as well as a windows version, so you will most likely be able to use whatever you want.

Alright, when you niggers say "it's nicer for graphic design" or "Surprised by how nice it was" give a fucking reason. You even go as far as to say you'd never go back. Why? You literally gave not a single reason to back up any opinion you had in your post.

Are you a fucking idiot? No, seriously, were you raised in a barn?

Here, let me help you. Before you make a statement think of something objective to back it up.

>It's nicer for graphic design because...
Holy shit, you could actually sound like an educated fucktard. It's that easy.

OSX is deprecated as of Sierra. Now it's MacOS.

Windows 10 and MacOS are 90% the same now days especially since macfags just dual boot their shit

Here's the thing
I'll be more busy Illustrating and drawing than doing actual graphic design.
We had multiple meetings discussing wether my platform should've been a Windows + tablet, Mac + Tablet or, ideally a Cintiq (money was not an issue).
Then today, without any notice, he popped up in the office with a big ass iMac.

I'm not complaining, but I just dunno man, I have doubts on how objective and unbiased his choice has actually been.

Doesn't matter, both are locked down piles of shit.

>finder is nicer than explorer
Not even the biggest applel fanboy will agree with that.

When the computer in question turns a kushy job into a nightmare, of course he has a right to complain.

I just lost all respect for you, now I know you're just a closet macfag trying to score e-peen points on Sup Forums because of your shitty Intel/NVidia shill guide.

assuming it isn't 10 year old hardware, install virtualbox. congrats you get everything.

wew lad

>I have doubts on how objective and unbiased his choice has actually been
It was neither. Apple's marketing works on some of the best minds. I have a friend who is an engineer, and a very smart man... but as soon as the conversation turns towards operating systems he starts spouting Apple propaganda.

At the end of the day, your job is to do whatever the employer wants. If it means using a mac, use a mac. It is still a computer, even if you are unfamiliar with the OS. Sometimes you get legos, and sometimes you get duplos.

>I just lost all respect for you
Oh no, how can I possibly live after this?

>Finder
Another one of my biggest worries. Had to use it a bunch of times on a macbook of theirs, and either I'm doing something completely wrong or the bloody thing is completely and utterly underpowered.

You do have a point there, guess I'll take it as a chance to expand my skill set.
Still tho, and out of pure curiosity, do Macs really offer any edge of sorts when it comes to this sort of thing anymore?

>do Macs really offer any edge of sorts when it comes to this sort of thing anymore?
Nope. In fact, the Adobe Suite on Windows runs a lot faster than it does on OS X.
When CS3 came out, the PowerPC version of it ran faster under emulation than the Native Intel version on OS X, Adobe never seemed optimize Adobe for Intel Macs properly.

>do Macs really offer any edge of sorts when it comes to this sort of thing anymore?
I used Apple hardware professionally for ~5-6 years, and I did not find any real reasons to stay. But my work was programming, not design. It might be different for you.

You do realize only extremely mentally ill people (ie homosexuals) use macs, right?

Cmd+Shift+G gives you a path prompt.
Cmd+T gives you another tab.
Cmd+N gives you another window.
Cmd+` cycles through windows.

Really all the shortcuts are in the Apple menu's hierarchies. Figure it out, or don't and just use the mouse like 95% of users.

You can be a dumbass windows user, you can be a dumbass Mac user, you can be a power user in either. Either way, bitching and moaning and rending your garments on a message board makes me think you're a fuckin entitled baby. Give me your job, I'll do it and I won't fucking complain about the tools I'm given.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

[spoiler]yes[/spoiler]

Or you know, musicians, scientists, journalists, photographers, filmmakers, editors, students, teachers, artists, I dunno, just about fuckin anybody. They're a 700 billion dollar company, somebody's got to use the things. Why does everyone on Sup Forums cop an attitude about Apple products? They sell computers with a healthy margin. Don't like'em? Don't use'em.

Or install Path Finder. There are options.

Faggot, not everybody is a flamming homosexual like you

I think I generally agree with you, but also I don't really expect this from Sup Forums.

>Don't like'em? Don't use'em.
Don't like our criticism? Do not come here.

Only 6% of the world uses macs. Though not all are homosexuals a very large majority are. And saying scientists and all those other people use them is the stupidest thing you could possibly say. Most of those people have jobs and need to get work done not wait 30 days for their dual-core macbook pro to render a few molecules while constantly overheating and being throttled to 0.5 GHz.

I haven't heard any criticism yet. Mostly ad hominem and hatespeech. You didn't even criticize Mac OS. You just said you found no reason to stay. Totally valid, but not really a criticism of the platform.

He wasn't talking about his criticism. Also I do get the feeling most if not all mac users are gay/lesbian. They all seem "off".

What do genitals and where you put them have anything to do with tech, your OS of choice, or anything at all? Why are you so fascinated by homosexuals? I'm no psychologist but you might want to see one.

Why the fuck would anyone render anything on a laptop? This is why we have ssh and cluster computing. A scientist will definitely use a laptop as a terminal to INITIATE a computation on their org's cluster.

>Alright, when you niggers say "it's nicer for graphic design" or "Surprised by how nice it was" give a fucking reason.

It used to be true when mac were PPC.

They ran stuff like illustrator and photoshop significantly faster than windows. But since gpu acceleration is a thing this is no longer true.

About the only thing mac does better is color profiles, but windows has made up a lot of ground in that area too.

Anyone telling you that macs are better for graphic design or photo work is just repeating shit that used to be true.

Finder has been shit since day one and is the still among the biggest complaints of old school mac tards.

>hatespeech
Do not do that. You are trivializing an actual crime.

>COME ON EVERYONE! LET US ROUND UP SOME PEOPLE FROM A DIFFERENT ETHNICITY, AND BURN THEM ALIVE!
This is hate speech.

>OS X has Finder, and Finder sucks
This is not hate speech.

For a graphic designer/illustrator then It should feel like the same shit as windows.
>how faster
>simply better
>muh shortcuts
>you'll never go back to PC ever again
Every single macfag ever

Why doesn't he give you an iMac and a pirated version of Windows instead?

Mentally ill people are going to get bullied for their illness. One way to cope is to buy things that makes them feel special. Thus why an alarming number of macfags are literally homosexuals.

Also quad-core laptops are extensively used by professionals to do work on the go.

>macfag making definitions up to protect their safe space
You honestly shouldn't have replied to him, falcon. Now he's going to go cry to his gay friends that he was cyberbullied with hate speech. There is no cure except the rope for these degenerates.

I'm more to Linux, but, as other anons say: "A job is a job" you will be fine with your new Mac. when you have played with it for some weeks, everything will run like you want it to.