/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/Emmeme/saved/fWr6hM
youtu.be/xv_7GH1vUG4
pcpartpicker.com/list/rmBXnn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Should i keep my FX 8320 and buy a new mobo to overclock it or should i get skylake or something?
I also have a Radeon HD 7870 2gb and want to upgrade to an rx 480 8gb or should i wait for vega?

Finished my build, yesterday.

A few questions:

>Is there any way to have speccy recognize the "Unknown"?
>Is it wise to OC my CPU if XMP is enabled?
I heard having XMP enabled strains the CPU and OCing will just add to it.

Thanks a bunch. And thanks to /pcbg/ for helping me out with my build, even though I didn't budge on a few components.

Any new info on Samsung's Z-SSD lineup? It was supposed to launch by the end of this year.

Pretty sure that image proves Apple right

Hey guys, I'm a fucking idiot. I've got a build all set up, but do I need to buy a separate wired/wireless network adaptor? There's nothing listed on logicalincrements about getting one, and I haven't ever built a PC before so I have no idea whether they're normally just integrated like sound cards or whether I need to buy them separately.

They're not generally included so you'll have to either use an ethernet cable or buy a wireless adapter.

Is PCI-E 4.0 worth waiting for?

Mine does the same exact thing in Speccy. Not sure if there is a way around it but as long as it's reporting the speed correctly you should be fine.

>I heard having XMP enabled strains the CPU and OCing will just add to it.
Not quite sure what you mean by strain, but you can get crashing enabling XMP causes your CPU to become unstable. Typically this can be remedied by increasing vcore but it really depends on how the mobo/BIOS handle things. The only way to be certain is to make incremental increases. Resetting CMOS can bail you out of brick situations in case things get fucked up.

What PSU should I look at for a celeron build with ~6 hard drives that will be on more or less 24/7?

Right has half the storage bays/expansion slots in the same form factor, dated proprietary components and cosmetic covers that don't do anything except trap dust.

>being a waitcuck

Pls help

Is there any advantages over controlling fans with PWM over a fan hub?

What do you need the bandwidth for?

If I plan to upgrade my graphics card in 3 years or so, since graphics cards will prob need it.

Oh, I see. I was planning on using an ethernet cable but had no idea if a separate wired network adaptor was necessary. Thanks.

Thanks. So far, so good with XMP enabled. No crashes, yet.

I'm nervous about OCing my CPU. But, once I get the balls and do it, I'll post my results.

I also want to know how Optane will do, the low latency sounds sweet. Will AMD even support it?

Seasonic makes nice PSUs. Check reviews for specific models. Can't imagine you'd need more than a 350W or 450W model for that build.

Can you not OC on your current board? Not worth investing anymore in your FX at this point unless you really just want to try your hand at OC'ing for fun.

Motherboards come with ethernet ports so it should have been fairly obvious.

Does Corsair make higher quality PSUs compared to CoolerMaster?

see
>Hey guys, I'm a fucking idiot.
I had no idea that motherboards came with ethernet ports.

Was more wondering if it's worth it going for muh platinum or if its a meme?

Give me some /pcbg/ approved 1080 screens.

144hz if possible.

I've had ASUS VG248 24" 144hz for two and a half years and no complaints here.

Wait for zen then upgrade, and if the 7870 is good enough for you for the next few months then wait for vega too

no

>ASUS
>good
nice meme

>Can you not OC on your current board? Not worth investing anymore in your FX at this point unless you really just want to try your hand at OC'ing for fun.

No, i have a m5a78l-m/usb3 mobo which is shot for overclocking because of 4+1 phase. I was thinking about getting GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P but i dont know if its worth spending money on my FX CPU anymorr

Will the AM4 motherboards and their chipset suck compared to Intel's Z series, say they end up being not so different than todays FM2+?

Nobody knows yet. Wait for reviews.

Yes.

PWM can be controlled via software. Fan hubs usually need to be adjusted with some kind of dongle or hub.

It's hard to say. Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze relates to efficiency but it makes sense that higher quality components would make their way into higher build quality PSUs for every brand. Personally I'd rather buy a bronze or silver PSU from a brand I trust than a platinum from a brand I haven't used before, but that's just me. Check jonnyguru for in depth PSU reviews. They'll occasionally review some basic units you might be looking for.

Same as above, no issues with my VG248 in the past 1.5 years.

The VG248 might be an exception. It's been pretty much universally acclaimed and is priced reasonably.

Corsair doesn't make PSUs, same with Cooler Master. Having said that, both have good and less good PSUs.

Both rebrand Seasonics and Cooler Master also has Enhance PSUs which are pretty great.

So overall CoolerMaster is a bit better?

I see. I would get the new mobo if I were approaching it from a hobby/fun standpoint since it's not a huge investment to pick up a single mobo as long as you have a decent power supply already. I wouldn't do it if I were looking for a serious long term upgrade at this point.

For example, what if you buy that mobo (which can technically handle an OC) and then you find out your 8320 can't be pushed that far anyway? If that would upset you then don't do it.

Nah, they both are pretty much the same desu.

On the lower end both have FSP rebrands.
On the decent end both have CWT rebrands.
On the great end both have Seasonics.
On the top end both have similar quality brands (Enhance and Flextronics.)

What's the wattage you want?

pcpartpicker.com/user/Emmeme/saved/fWr6hM

Gonna buy half the parts on black friday. (Allready have an ssd) is this acceptable?

1070 brack Friday deal or Vega

>Asus card
No. Go for MSI.

Hi everyone! I've never built a PC before, so I've come to Sup Forums in hopes of getting feedback on this >$1200 build. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Also note that I've already got a monitor and an OS key, so that's not in the budget.

>$400 for that shit card
Buy a 1060.

Might want to up your SSD size to 250gb

Do you mean a 1070? I had a few other people suggest that, too. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing, so I didn't even realize the R9 was outdated.

If I wanted to stay AMD, what would be the equivalent to a 1070?

Nah, I meant 1060. But I guess that for a bit more you could go 1070.

>If I wanted to stay AMD, what would be the equivalent to a 1070?
Nothing. The 1060 is better than any AMD card right now. The 1070 just blows everything away.

There really isn't a direct equivalent AMD card at the moment. The R9 Fury or R9 Fury X would have similar performance to the 1070, depending on the game, but they only have 4 GB VRAM, though it is extremely fast HBM. Sometimes this isn't an issue at 1080p, but demands for VRAM are only going to go up over the years.

Anyway, if you want AMD right now and that's your budget I'd pick up the Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury from Newegg. It's been checking in at around 299 over the past few weeks/months.

Im going for a professional look all black and some white

Still, I wouldn't go Asus. If you have any issue you're in to a world of pain.

If you're going black/white, you have the Armor one on the MSI side.

Alrighty, I swapped over to a 1070, and I got a suggestion to up my HDD to a 7200, so that's that, too. Does everything look alright, then? Will it all fit in that case?

Any particular reason why? I figured I would just stick the OS and maybe a couple of games on the SSD and leave the rest on the HDD... unless that's a dumb idea

Solution

>Will it all fit in that case?
Yeah, that case is pretty big.

>Any particular reason why? I figured I would just stick the OS and maybe a couple of games on the SSD and leave the rest on the HDD... unless that's a dumb idea
It isn't, per se. It's just that SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper and you'll probably want to install some stuff on it apart from the OS.

RX 490 fucking WHEN?

650W+
These were the better brands I've found that are available in my country. 3 other notable ones were DeepCool, Gembird and Gigabyte.

Ive seen on youtube that you can push it to around 4.6 Ghz with an air cooler and compares to i5 6600k performance. youtu.be/xv_7GH1vUG4

>Concerned about warranty

>suggests voiding warranty on GPU to color it

Get a XFX 650 XTR. It's Seasonic and it's fully modular. It might be a little more expensive tho.

Different user.

>Yeah, that case is pretty big.
Shit, it's not too big is it? Should I switch to a mid tower?

Well, alright, I suppose I can switch to 250gb then. Thanks!

>not too big
It's pretty big, yeah.
I'd go for a mid tower, honestly.
Something like a S340. But since you want an optical drive, I guess that doesn't suit you.

you can get any case you want as long as it fits your mb (atx), the cpu cooler and the gpu. none of your parts are very big so pretty much any ATX case will be fine.
If you're not going to overclock I'd recommend a case with noise isolation.

These are the only ''good'' brands user. No XFX.

I already have this CPU and I enjoy it so how does this upgrade look?

FIVE LOOOONNGGGG YEARS on an FX-8350. boosted from 15 FPS (very high) crysis 3 to 60-80 in 1 fucking component.

50 fps in team fortress 2 to 200 fps

same for most games. The gains are insane.

Hm... The Corsair CSM line is decent and not too expensive. They're no Seasonics, but the build quality is good and they have japanese caps, plus stable 12v rail.
The Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 700w is good too.

Youre holding yourself back with that shit cpu. Also seagate is just terrible.

Ditch that ancient cpu, and buy intel.

Also my cpu is OC at 4.4 GHz or something around there.

I have amd fx 8320 and radeon hd 7870 2gb. What upgrade?

Hmm. Okay. Shit, I was under the impression that all of this stuff would be too much for a midtower.

Here's an interesting thought: there's a retail place down the road that sells junk, but they've got about three midtower cases that just aren't selling and they're around $30 right now. They don't look too damaged, but they won't have a warranty if I buy it from there, I think.

You think it's worth investigating that further or just going with buying online and getting a guarantee that it'll be good?

Again, I'm really ignorant about all of this, so If I... were to want to overclock, what would I want to do differently?

Either wait for zen, (which will be better than any intel right now) or get a i5 6600k.

>seagate

Do you enjoy having your HDD corrupted and losing everything?

Everything.

>You think it's worth investigating that further or just going with buying online and getting a guarantee that it'll be good?
Why not? After all it's just a case. As long as the cooler and gpu fit.

>Again, I'm really ignorant about all of this, so If I... were to want to overclock, what would I want to do differently?
If you want to OC, you should choose a case with a good thermal envelope, i.e.: good airflow.

Is there any info, prices, performance, for the zen cpus? When do they come out?

Would you say going for a 80+ bronze rated PSU is an absolute no?

>Everything
Please Explain?

Alright, thank you for the invaluable information. You guys are great.

fuck off dumb WD shills

Anywhere in Q1 2017. Apparently official info will come out at CES 2017.

Get Hitachi instead.

protip: don't wait
They'll probably be a disappointment as everything is with AMD.

If I were you, I'd take advantage of this black friday and get a solid intel platform.

Not really. I mean, those ratings are merely efficiency related. Although you'd think brands would use better components on a more efficient line.

Just as an example, you have bronze Seasonics and they're okay. They're just not that efficient compared to gold or platinum ones.

But since you're not looking into a known quality brand, I'd steer away from a bronze psu.

Do you have Antec PSUs in your country?

That CPU is a major bottleneck for any recent card and that card is quite outdated if you want to play newer games.

Anyway, if you don't have the money right now to build a new system, I'd go Intel and keep the card until I could buy a new GPU.

>WD shills
Not my fault that Seagate HDDs are fucking garbage, yet I've never had a WD fail me

Same here.
I've got a 10 year old external WD green and that fucker never had any issues.

Yep an Antec TP-650C.

Any comments on these components? I'm building a personal NAS/media-server and it will be running 24/7 so it should be low-power.

Another option would be to pick up ASRock N3150-ITX mini-ITX motherboard that has a Intel Celeron N3150 processor but Celerons have a bad stigma with them so I don't know if they are reliable enough for 24/7 usage..

Get that, then. It's Seasonic.

>tfw no mini itx case that's
>simplistic
>comes with dust filters
>fully aluminium
>small form factor
>can fit aio water cooler and full length GPU

Come on Fractal, just give me a premium version of the Core 500, based off of the Define R5

Also, here are all the brands.

Alright. It's a 80+ gold rated as well. There are some Seasonics but they go up to 600W unfortunetly. Thanks for the help user!

Oh wait, scratch that, apparently the R5 also has a plastic face. God damn it Fractal, I'd pay 20 bucks extra for a stinking plate of aluminium, just do it.

That Antec you mentioned is pretty good. Just a shame it isn't modular. But if you don't care about that, I'd go for that.

>Thermaltake
Some are pretty good, too.

Ordering a new 500GB SSD for a new build. Should I go for a Samsung 850 Evo or a Samsung 850 Pro?

Stop being a faggot and just deal with the plastic. The aluminum will add nothing to the case

My cpu fan shorted and I lost my fx 8370. I've already taken it in. No dice.
I decided that with the advent of zen coming out soon I would just get an FX 4350 to hold me over. It was on sale for $62.
It's on it's way but I'm just now noticing that modern games such as gears are asking for a 6300 minimum. Did I just fuck up? I'm a low end gamer rocking 760g asus motherboard with an rx 480 4gb card.

You fucked up by being a waitfag.

Short of shelling out for an Ncase M1 and painting it, I guess the Core 500 really is my only option. Unless there's some god tier mini itx cube that I've missed.

I've got an 6300 for 80. Is there a big difference between the 4350 and 6300?

Fine you bunch of whiners. Updated.

Im still hanging on a fx 6100 and doing fine. Waiting for the prices to drop when zen comes.

>B150
Doesn't make sense if you're buying an unlocked cpu. Get a Z170 board.

4350 has faster clock speed, 2 less cores, and its cheaper. I didn't think cores really mattered for performance for games if you are low end. Now I'm worried if it will actually run correctly

Why are you getting a slim form CPU cooler in an ATX tower?

Any suggestions for my build? I'm getting a really good price on the i7-6850k(300 bucks) and I already own the gtx 970. Also, a good monitor suggestion would be appreciated.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rmBXnn