twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>using KDE
Your own fault user

>using a meme distro

you got what you deserved

op is a faggot

>that monitor
are you from the past?

OP, your very old monitor is probably faulty.

Kevin is literally killing Win10

>b-b-but it's not linux's fault! You're just not supposed to use it that way!

I want to make use of some old computers lying around the house. The tower is even older than the monitor.

>distro which ranks 50th at distrowatch fucks up therefore every other distro has this issue too
It's like you want to be called a retard

Wow. Kevinnet is still getting installed. Fucking hell

Go ahead and name me another distro my mom would be comfortable using given that she's been using xp all this time then.

fuck off kevin

what the fuck is that

also new desktop thread

>uses random meme distro
>"dis iz da state of linux in 2016 XDDDDDDDDDDDD"

Fucking retard

Xubuntu

Hey cunt. You're using a shitty distro for one.

Go install Debian Jessie with GNOME if you want the real distro. What you're saying is pretty much this:

>why doesn't Windows 98 play Overwatch?

Fuck off
This. "Linux" is not an operating system. It's not fair to call one distro "Linux" because that distro in particular is shitty.

Manjaro
Ubuntu
Fedora
Even fucking gentoo
Do not have this issue.

Hey OP? running shitty PC? Install Devuan + lxde + volwheel

who would've thunk people are this retarded in 2016!!!!
Lubuntu. Don't even bother with Debian or Devuan. Install Lubuntu.

this is what you want
rbt.asia/g/thread/S55899614#p55899943

>hurr durr this distro is having problems
>let's name some other ones that won't even fucking boot on the potato
I specifically chose this one because it behaves like windows xp AND has low system requirements for my mom's potato. Furthermore it's obvious you've no knowledge nor experience with the distro in question OUTSIDE OF THIS FUCKING THREAD before CONDEMNING IT. Thanks you all very much for proving that none of you lintards have a clue what you're even talking about. Eat shit and die.

You too. See above.

I use old computers with linux. My usual method is to do a Debian base system only install, then install IceWM and Xorg and stuff. It works well. But it might not be very user friendly if the system is to be used by someone else who's not used to linux.

Solus or Ubuntu mate.

now kys

>inhales deeply
>IT WONT BOOT XDDXD
>LINTARDS LMAO.XDDDD

Fucking kill yourself. I genuinly attempted helping your stupid ass but you're just blocking out what you don't want to hear. If you read the Lubuntu documentation you would know the actual installer CD has an alternate version of potatoes. Being the spoiled brat that you are you go to Sup Forums for help and throw a hissy fit when things don't go your way. Oh, and you also throw shade at the devs who make software for free, for your potatoe, for free.

You're an ungrateful prick is what you are.

>lubuntu
>behaves likes xp
Yeah no just fuck off already. None of you here named ANY distros I haven't either already tried or heard about ages ago. You're not telling me anything I don't already know. You won't ever tell me anything I don't already know. Tried to help me? lmao. Don't misunderstand the purpose of this thread: I've stopped looking for advice on Sup Forums long ago.

we're going back to potatoes to get my fucking power wrist
asshole

>it doesn't behave like XP
You press a start button

The button has a list of applications

How Is this not xp-like again?

>t. Kevin

Did you even take a look at Q4OS, at least how it's supposed to look? Any less is not windows-like in my book. Lubuntu looks and behaves like linux. I've tried the live-CD before. Stop trying to claim otherwise.

What do you have against a perfectly good monitor?

What would you say if it was a CRT?

Sup Forums keeps recommending Void which never even broke distrowatch top 100.

Here, in case you're too retarded to navigate around the internet. Q4OS, with XPQ4.

Yes. I took a look at it.

It looks like Lubuntu with a 98-like start menu. If your mother can't handle:

Start:
Topic -> Application

Then there is something wrong going on.

If your mother cannot handle PCManFm, something is wrong.

If your mother cannot handle, web -> firechrome, then something is wrong.

How come Microsoft didn't C&D this? I wonder how long ReactOS would keep breathing if its devs made it look like this.

Time for a serious reply from a person who isn't trying to be a jerk:

OP, looking at that screenshot, I'm guessing that it might be a video driver problem. Do you have a spare video card (that would fit in that computer)? I expect the problem might go away if you swap out the current video card for a different one (or disable the onboard video if it's onboard)

What video card/hardware does it have right now?

>instead for once make an actually good desktop/file manager for Linux and copy the 2k/XP/2k3 classic theme GUI, they make a clone of the retarded fisher price Luna theme GUI instead

>holy shit, why aren't the needs of small enterprises switching their employees -- who are most familiar with the luna theme -- to linux aligned with my neckbeard interests waah waaah

Guess you didn't look enough.

>Do you have a spare video card (that would fit in that computer)?
Not really. Also xp and lubuntu displays properly on this computer.

You want Windows? Try Debian, Fedora or Mint with Cinnamon. Or KDE Neon.

You just said "tower"?

You might as well use lubuntu then. It's close enough to XP, your mother will probably feel as at home as she would in Q4OS (if it were working properly).

If your mom can't even deal with the slightest change she probably shouldn't use a computer in the first place

Looks like your window theme is fucked up. That can be reproduced under any system that allows you to customize the colors of buttons and text, including Windows.

I still use a 4:3 display. It's quite comfy.

I do have a 16:9 display sitting in storage, but I always end up with far more screen real estate than I know what to do with.

Ah, yes. Linux's tagline: the users work for the machines

>>lubuntu displays properly on this computer
>>lubuntu displays properly
>>lubuntu displays
>>loonix

:^)

You just came here
to piss people off didn't you?

The problem here can easily be fixed with a bit of tape

Now why don't you show the steps to avoid microsoft sending your personal info to their servers and sharing it with their parthners?

i like the color scheme they should make a theme out of this

"screenshot"

I tried trinity and KDE3 was my first DE. It's perfectly fine.

If you choose a Linux that behave like Windows then of course you are going to get shit. 95% of the development deliberately goes towards making it shit like Windows.

It's like buying a Rolls Royce that behaves like a Trabant. Or a fridge that behaves like a wet plastic bag.

retard

>there are people who don't even know how a fucking monitor works browsing Sup Forums at this very moment

Put XP on them and then fist your own asshole until you die.

What the fuck is Q4OS?

your monitor is interjected with a virus

this is why you don't listen to distrowatch and just install the MAJOR distro that best suits your needs

that means either debian, fedora/rhel/centos, *buntu, Arch, Mint, or SUSE

leave the obscure distros to the edge cases

Those distros require more hardware than my computer has. Read the fucking thread.

that makes no sense. all linux distros are basically the same thing underneath the hood. you just need a lightweight DE or WM, the underlying OS really doesn't matter

How does it not make sense? All of the "mainstream" distros these days require at least half a gig of RAM. Most of the time one.

that's for the default pre-installed DEs

You can run LXQT/LXDE or Enlightenment easily on 128mb RAM, or is this machine somehow even shittier than that?

linuxandubuntu.com/home/5-lightweight-linux-desktop-environments

How about you read the fucking thread like I told you to? Or just fuck off.

Installing a clone of a 70's multi-user mainframe operating system on your mom's computer is like getting her to drive a fucking 18-wheel truck to church.

Linux is not and was never meant to be a consumer desktop OS. Memeing clueless faggots like OP (and a half of Sup Forums) by underage neophyte retards (like the other half of Sup Forums) into thinking otherwise is actually doing it a huge disservice.

>t. Debian user since 1999.

I did read it, it just doesn't make any sense

how is lxqt or xfce or mate not like XP from an older person's perspective? click start menu, click application, window appears in taskbar

Linus intended linux to be exactly a kernel for the desktop except it didn't turn out the way he wanted. Even now he still talks about "killing microsoft". You're either baiting or fucking delusional. I wouldn't have fucking bothered installing linux if xp hadn't become abandonware.

Then I really can't make it any clearer. Sorry you might just be retarded.

Ubuntu MATE, Mint or even something like Lubuntu.

Someone who happens to be too stupid to screenshot can't into linux. Who could have guessed?

You're the only one here who's retarded

>Then I really can't make it any clearer. Sorry you might just be retarded.

If you can't make a case then you're not worth helping. There's no reason you can't make LXDE or XFCE look exactly like XP there are literally 1000s of themes out there to do just that. Whatever esoteric BS you are alluding to is fucking moronic.

so this is power of linux

>If you can't make a case then you're not worth helping.
Thank you for making it obvious you STILL haven't read the fucking thread.

No.

so you are claiming that q4os (a distro that ships with some old ass variant of kde) is somehow more XP like than an lxde or xfce skinned to emulate windows xp?

Yes.

Just shut the fuck up already and go start a blog.

holy fuck what are you even doing

>debian jessie
>KWin

Just install kwin on whatever distro you want

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWin

windows literally turns your computer on in the middle of the night to hijack your internet

Don't lie. You'd be more than happy about it if someone made a thread to bitch about windows/mac os.

Moving the goalpost are we?

Not true.
I don't like bitching in general.
This isn't a fucking tech support forum and it sure as hell isn't for complaining about your own problems with the OS you chose to install and can't get working properly.
Like I said before; go start a blog.

>Linus intended linux to be exactly a kernel for the desktop
He intended it to be a minix clone for AT machines (his own, specifically), not your mom's cake recipes browsing OS.

>it didn't turn out the way he wanted
It turned out to be a UNIX-like OS for people that need UNIX for the kind of computing they do. Which does not include your mom.

you are a fucking moron

you don't even understand what to do therefore you try to cover for it with trolling

anyone with a modicum of sense would have already figured out what to do

install a major distro with a lightweight DE and then skin it using one of the bajillions of xp themes available online (you can use gtk2 or gtk3 it doesn't even matter with your use case)

you somehow think that you are the first person that has ever done this, there are whole institutions and whole countries for fucks sake that have taken lightweight linux distros and skinned them to look like xp

So what did you say to the 98% of all the other threads on Sup Forums right now? Gas yourself hypocrite.

I'm only on this thread right now.
Currently watching a video and waiting with bated breath for your replies.

Werks in mi machina.

>can't into gtk theme

>skin it using one of the bajillions of xp themes available online
AHAHAHA holy shit you think q4os is just a skin? Thanks for proving how much of a fucking retard you are.

In case you still don't fucking get it, I want a distro that looks AND BEHAVES like xp OUT THE FUCKING BOX. A FUCKING SKIN doesn't do that. Not to mention the more configuration I add to it the more easy it'll be for it to break in the future. I'm not sticking around in this house forever. I'm not going to be fucking maintaining this computer. Even if I was using it for myself I still wouldn't fuck around with configs all day.

Every """advice""" and """distro recommendation""" offered ITT has been worthless and will ALWAYS BE. NOTHING said ITT has ever been anything I haven't done before or at least thought about. I'm not grateful to those who ~just want to help~, you're uesless and obnoxious, not that it will stop you. Just letting you know.

>living in mom's basement
>resurrecting obsolete hardware as a token of payment
>she has to pay an extra $100/yr in electricity bills so she can run some obscure linux distro that no one has heard of and will probably be unsupported in 3 or 4 months
>can't be arsed to install a stable distro and skin it, which is literally a 5 minute process
>wonders why he's still in mom's basement

You're the one that made the thread buddy boy.
Have fun with your deprecated OS.

wait, why does this have to look and work like XP OOTB? You never made that point in this whole thread. She's not installing it herself so why does it matter?

I'm a she. And I'm only back home because this semester's over. Nice to see you running out of counterarguments and have to resort to ad hom attacks, though.

Linux is shit. Deal with it, lintard.

How about you read the fucking post SLOWLY since the explanation you're looking for is right in there.

the only thing that is shit in this thread is you, you nasty cunt

you expect people to create an exact distro for your retarded edge case?

none of the points you made are relevent. installing a gtk theme doesn't somehow make the computer less stable you fucking wincuck

>Every """advice""" and """distro recommendation""" offered ITT has been worthless and will ALWAYS BE.

Are you on your period?

>How about you read the fucking post SLOWLY

see ReactOS, there's literally no UNIX architecture in the whole OS since you apparently have such a problem with it

Damn, you even ran out of ad hominems? Nothing expect name calling left? You've really gone out of the way to show how linux cannot be defended. I appreciate that.

>none of the points you made are relevent
Right back at you, dipshit. The original point is that a skin is not a suitable substitute. What the fuck are you on about?

>ReactOS
>WINE out of the box with shitty implementation
Thank you for proving the "Every """advice""" and """distro recommendation""" offered ITT has been worthless and will ALWAYS BE." yet again. Let me guess, you've never used reactOS.

OP, look up Zorin. It's not perfect but it's literally built for Widows users who switch for whatever reason with no knowledge. It also has a "for toasters" release

>Let me guess, you've never used reactOS.

Exactly, because I'm not a fucking moron that needs my linux distro to look exactly like some outdated OS so I don't trigger autism in my household

"""ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME"""

Does this look anything like XP? READ THE THREAD. I NEED IT TO LOOK LIKE XP OOTB

ITT has been worthless and will ALWAYS BE." yet again"

>I'm a she.

tits or gtfo

FUCK OFF

Time and time again, your posts prove nothing except that you know even less about the distros you recommend than me. el oh el

i don't think we want to see her tits based on her demeanor tbqh famalam

probably has a neckbeard considering her sperg personality