I haven't used Skype in months

I haven't used Skype in months.

* Is Skype becoming irrelevant?
* If that is so, why?
* What software are you guys to replace it?

Other urls found in this thread:

apps.skype.com
techcrunch.com/2015/08/27/discord-citron/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I haven't used Skype in months.
You reverted from normie to hikki.

>is skype becoming irrelevant
>If that is so, why?

For neets, it was never relevant.

>What software are you guys to replace it?

IRC is fine to shitpost in real time.

yes
it's shit
Discord.

No, you are just unemployed

Oh the irony...

All my friends and myself moved to discord. Chat with good image embeds and voice all in one. I only use skype to call my mom (we live in different countries), that's it.

>* Is Skype becoming irrelevant?
It was irrelevant the second Microsoft bought it.

An average person is usually to lame to tryout something when they have something that "just werks fine" and has tons of contacts on that.

>* What software are you guys to replace it?
Discord, which only disadvantage is the lack of screensharing/ videocall

Yeah. We use it every day in the business world. They call it linq though.

Hurt durr. Lync*

What's the irony?

It's Skype for Business now

Whatsapp will soon release video calls, that will be the final nail on the coffin

There's a lot of shit to replace it with. All of it is either in alpha or sucks

Tox/Ring are the two that come to mind.

Just use IRC or teamspeak don't listen to Discord faggots.

Man, you can't even install the new skype without having the latest IE installed

It comes with some bullshit exe that opens a new instance with every chat window unless you delete it and then you can't sign in if you sign out

Skype is an absolute debacle now

All alternatives are either absolute shit or just as untrustworthy when it comes to spying on your shit. Discord forever saves your logs Skype pretends to delete them at least.

I'd trust MS slightly more with my data more than I would some other idiots.

Absolute piece of shit software that gets worse with every update.

Every single one of skypes recent updates over the past year or two has made it substantially worse, it is objectively garbage and worse at everything than any other comparable application at this point.

Screensharing crashes your client after about 5-10 minutes, or can straightup cause a BSOD, webcams barely function and rarely display for others or outright disable your camera enable button, voice is trash with constantly changing volumes for people that happen no matter what you disable in the settings, swapping contacts in the standard window mode almost always freezes up the client for about 15-20 seconds before it actually makes the change and god help you if you're in a large group chat and select another chat from it.

Its slowly but surely turned into the single worst IM application on the planet, not even counting the ads built into it and the fact that its botnet supreme. Fuck Skype.

btw on windows? don't want skype ads?

go into internet options

security > restricted sites > add apps.skype.com

No more ads.

Do this before the install and you won't even have empty boxes where the ads once were.

>only disadvantage is the lack of screensharing/ videocall
How about the horrible UX ?

For me it's dead since at least 1 year and an half. Updates killed it, mobile version each version worse, and on desktop it would update itself without asking after some point.

For now telegram, tried discord but shit's worrying.

>Is Skype becoming irrleevant?
Yes.

>If that is so, why?
Because it's a piece of shit.

>What software are you guys to replace it?
I just make phone calls. You don't need shitty software to do that.

Discord runs like shit.

Skype > Discord.
The only advantage to using Discord is the fact that faggots can't ping your location using shitty resolvers like they can with Skype. Other than that Skype is better tbqh, although I will give credit to Discord for still updating and adding features to it (even though it's still a relatively new program) whereas Skype just adds shitty emojis and whatnot.

Discord runs perfectly fine for me. Not sure what's up with your computer man, If anything, Skype is the one that drops calls and fucked up consistently for me.

But the UX is great?

TeamSpeak over everything nigga

Discord actually has clear audio; Skype ran like a turd and was a member of the bandwidth mafia.

Skype was always shit, tbqh.
If both people were using apple computers/running osx, facetime was always the superior choice.

Agreed. So many meaningful options, aesthetic customization, nice to look at.
Does Skype have a dark theme?

Maybe it's because I'm running it on Wangblows 7, who knows. I've never had any dropped calls problem on Skype that wasn't directly related to the other person's connection being Australian tier.

>having data caps
>being a data cuck

Poor form lad.

I lived in a shitty backwater town in 'Merica. Discord ran fine, Skype would stutter hard and drop frequently on group calls. Shit like that baffles me.

Both are proprietary

Yes
It became shit and something better came up
Discord

>That program is shit because it's proprietary

Is there any way to get rid of the logs on skype? Or are my old ERP sessions from six years ago there forever?

Ring is nicer.

Okay Sup Forums let's create our own open-source IM software

I'll make the logo

personally use jitsi for chatting up family and friends

Wire >

What's app is fucking garbage
This.
Wire.com/privacy

Kill yourselves if you don't use wire

I'll install the gentoo

noice, did not know about this
thanks mane

He's not the only one. Discord uses a shitty, but high quality voice codec. It requires an undue amount of cpu power. Skype doesn't have the same quality, so they're not comparable. Mumble remains the unchallenged champion of allowing you to choose a sane codec.

it's a honeypot

do you remember openfeint?
techcrunch.com/2015/08/27/discord-citron/

It was always irrelevant.
>* If that is so, why?
Bloated, laggy piece of shit. There are MUCH better alternatives, even Facebook messenger has more stable calls and is lighter.

I don't have a data cap it just sucked whatever amount of bandwidth I got to my machine on my parents shitty wifi when I lived at home so I couldn't play WoW which meant everything to me in my virgin days.

You must be a moron if you think the UX is bad.
It reminds me of the business messenger Slack and I love being able to have multiple chat rooms and threads.

skype banned me without human oversight, the humans refused to do fucking anything, got discord because literally fuck skype.