What is the best Linux distro?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=umQL37AC_YM
beta.repology.org/statistics.html
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#GNU.2FLinux_distributions
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Antergos.

Only Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu are serious contenders. Every other distro is snowflake or edgy. Debian is the best one since it doesn't belong to en evil corporation.

Exherbo > Gentoo > Debian > Fedora > the rest

Linux Lite or Solus

This

In my experience, Fedora and Ubuntu are the best pre-configured distros and the most professional distros.

Gentoo is the best distro if you want to build your OS your self.

Arch is for people too stupid to install gentoo.

Debian is for people who think Ubuntu still sucks like it did in 2008.

OpenSUSE is a more bloated fedora basically.

CentOS is a placebo for people who think it's better than Fedora.

Elementary, Mint, Ubuntu spin-offs, etc are for Linux babbys.

Slackware is for true autists.

the best linux distro is the one you like the most, user

/thread

The exclusion of Manjaro is alarming
>inb4 Manjaro is just a spin off of Arch

>implying there is something good about an os that is a fork of an os that is just an installer script for another os.

There's no reason for Antergos to exist. If you want an automated install, don't use Arch.

what if i don't like any linux distro?

Why can't all the distro teams combine manpower and produce something that works

Just use an automated Arch installer if you can't spend 30 minutes of your super-busy life to install an OS

Then you get to decide between Windows or macOS. shit vs shit

I personally installed Manjaro before I knew it was a derivative of Arch.

My main reason for getting it was because it seemed both lightweight, stable and beautiful. Was I wrong?

Install Plan 9

Because of the very same reason there are so many. They disagree on just about fucking everything. You think there would be 50+ different distros if there were broad concepts all linux developers totally agreed on?

Maybe you are one of the truly enlightened ones?

At least everybody can agree on using SystemD :^)

Suicide Linux.

can you tell me some advantages of Exherbo over Gentoo?

Fedora

As someone new to linux, but not a mongoloid, any decent reasons for me not to go with Arch?

With virtual Whonix or Tails for shitposting.

fresh

They're all shit, what's amazing is that Lintards will argue between them.

Some people just like AUR, faggot. Not even fucking Stallman can be bothered to install that shit himself.

Ubuntu for beginners. Literally anything else based on tastes.

suicide linux is not a distro you fucking autist

>challenging Stallman's autism
heh, you have much to learn kiddo

youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

youtube.com/watch?v=umQL37AC_YM

Paludis is faster than Portage. Other than that I don't know.

openSUSE cause it is the only distro with thumbnail preview for the file picker in Firefox.

Yep.

Fedora for non-rolling. If rolling is required, you should realize that it's not.

the best distro is either Ubuntu or Mint because they are the easiest to install, work on more computers, have a bigger userbase and more support than other distros

enjoy your outdated repos

Mandriva-based is where it's at.
Straight outta BASED PUTINLAND

Enjoy your cutting edge exploits and bugs fag.

I'm on Windows 7 right now so you're stupid

beta.repology.org/statistics.html

>I'm using the one where the sticky notes and gadgets are an attack vector for a remote exploit that grants control of the machine, so you are stupid XDXDXDXD ;)

Gas yourself.

well I don't use notes and gadgets so JOKES ON YOU

>he doesn't know that you don't have to use them in order to be vulnerable

Cuck.

Then use Manjaro if you crave the AUR so much, Antergos is just a shitty installer for Arch.

That is a fucking shitty shoop.

Great concept, but shitty. I would fix up a better one myself but I'm too busy phoneposting, away from my powered down desktop.

no shut up I win lalala

Solus

I actually like Solus, but fuck off.

Fuck off Kevin.

what about opensuse?

Noobuntu Vanilla

No. Everything that downstream is a pointless meme distro.

itt paid Canonical shills steering new users towards Jewbhewntjew with Jewnity

How do you shill for something that is free? More like satisfied with the OS and now want to expand the ecosystem.

/thread

nixos

you can always use lubuntu or xubuntu though I prefer mate myself.

What does Sup Forums think of Mageia?

I tried using it years ago. It was a clusterfuck full of bugs. I don't there's any reason to actually use it.

it's my favorite distro and werks out of the box

I think you should use Rosa.
It's the best Mandriva fork, and Mageia and OpenMandriva depend on them for all the important stuff.

GNU/Windows 10

use it as main os for 3 years. i don't play games on it, werks just fine

Ubuntu for desktop, CentOS for server

>evil corporation
Careful with that edge

Id agree but this thread is about Linux distributions

How is openSUSE downstream?

OSx

The one you know better.

mhwd is lovely, makes life a million times easier. calamares is easily my favorite installer for any linux distro, and its themes look fuckin nice. my only beef is that it handles having two seperate gpus painfully bad. an r7 250x and an rx 480 dont play well, i think its because fglrx and amdgpu arent compatible. i wouldnt need fglrx if the distro wouldve shipped with kernel 4.8, because in 4.8 amdgpu adds support for southern island cards but lolno manjaro sticks to 4.4.

Isn't the whole deal with rolling release that you have less bugs and exploits?
Potentially there could be a new serious bug, say firefox sends the history to your spouse. But thats what nightly is for.
Never had any bugs with bleeding edge distros, just had to change some configs 6 times a year when upstream renamed options.

Kevin OS

Is it on par with Ubuntu in terms of software and game support via PlayonLinux?

>tfw I am actually loving solus but will never be able to have a decent conversation about it on here

cheers kevin

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#GNU.2FLinux_distributions

any of these distros list are good

> for people who still believe ubuntu sucks like in 2008
Implying it doesn't suck nowadays
And btw i actually use debian

I use Solus

Hm, I have one old pc at home that i want just want to use for browsing/ watching tv or something.. How is solus? I never used it before. Has it apt-get or yum or whatever?

What's wrong with snowflake?

It uses eopkg. It's its own packaging manager made specifically for Solus. It's perfect for what you want and I would say is even more user friendly than Ubuntu.

Where is arch?

In the trash, where it belongs.

This widespread exclusion of Arch is alarming.

Says the BSD user.

Arch was sitting at 80 seconds and didn't fit on the chart.

80 seconds? Jesus what hardware was that done on? I boot my KDE full Arch on a 3.0 flashdrive in a 2.0 port and it only takes 30 seconds at worst.

Solus takes 3 seconds.

On a monster PC with multiple SSDs

Hopefully this screenshot clears some things up.

TempleOS

Arch Linux if you have at least a hobbyist level interest in computer. Linux Mint if you don't.

netinst/minimal versions of debian and ubuntu

both Antergos and Manjaro are shitty derivatives. Use Arch Anywhere.

Arch user and I guess I agree with this list. I was gonna complain that Gentoo doesn't have the AUR but then I realized the AUR is just an easier way to compile software and keep compiled software up to date, not exactly completely new functionality.

>and beautiful
this is dependent on the DE and other programs installed out of the box and shouldn't really be taken into considering due to the fact that you can change these later on any distro

lightweight and stable are so-so points but they are mostly subjective (for example I have found Arch to be way more stable than Debian, but people laugh at me when I say this, so stability in itself is honestly just a stupid meme and not worth mentioning)

lightweight is similar to beautiful with what's installed and can be changed, although depending on your definition maybe some distros are more lightweight than others even with the same packages installed