Programming Problems

The programming exercises I see in books make it feel like I'm just playing a puzzle game like sudoku.

What are some examples of real-life coding assignments from employers?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.mit.edu/humor/Computers/real.programmers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i know there are actual wagecucks on this board...

i build software i been programming for two weeks now. literally build software.

for instance i made a program that mines craigslist for emails then sends my resume to them emails. resume bot essentailly.

now i'm trying to build a bit torrent client. programming is solving puzzles but it's also about building software. build some software but also remember them puzzles are fucking challenging and they're healthy in making you think outside the box algorithmically and sharpen your problems solving skills.

i'm not employeed and i'm a very new programmer but iassume in real life work you're probablyeither a building some sort of brand new software for a business, or a grocery store, or a cellular phone website or an cellular application. you probably didn't have the idea you're just being used to build it so it's like we need this product

that does this and this and this

so you're building software on the job.

>What are some examples of real-life coding assignments from employers?

>design and implement feature
>oh and i need it done by yesterday or its your ass

>tfw wagecuck
not really easy to explain, but just a boring set of business standard rules and ISO compliance standards that you need to implement, and a fuckton of OOP

You forgot
>marketing wants to change the feature to something complete different
>should be simple so have it done in an hour

Turing complete version of Petri net.
Nightmare mode: In Haskell.

Who is she?

Seconding. Zero results for reverse image search.

just a fb fap friend

her mom is hot too

Got any more pics?

fuck off, pajeet

>feel like I'm just playing a puzzle game

That's what all programming feels like eventually. Information comes in, there are pieces you can use, you have a goal, the pieces make the goal, you win.

what a fucking let down

Keep going.

Computation is just some black box that processes a string and outputs a (valid) string. Programming is nothing more than pushing and rearranging symbols.

If you can't find professional fulfillment out of this reality you probably shouldn't be a programmer. Trying to fight this will just make you miserable and the money will never be sufficient to compensate for your misery.

I became a tradie when I realized this. It's not so bad really, the pay is okay and the work isn't terrible

what would you do with her?

>You're one of those guys

Anything she wants.

I'd give her a good hard passionate pounding and then empty my balls into her.

I'd do the same to her mom too.

>I became a tradie when I realized this. It's not so bad really, the pay is okay and the work isn't terrible

i finally came to the conclusion that i don't actually like computers. it's information that fascinates me and computers are currently the best tools we have to access information.

computers themselves though? they bore me to tears.

What's her first name?

Holy shit kid, we can tell you're 12. You should focus on reading.

>Computation is just some black box that processes a string and outputs a (valid) string.

No buddy, computation is the math in the box. Just because you don't know how it works doesn't mean it isn't there. Somebody had to build the box.

>Programming is nothing more than pushing and rearranging symbols.

Yeah, no shit. That's everything your brain does. That's all of human culture. Using symbols to represent abstractions and then manipulating those abstractions is 'nothing more' than what makes civilization possible. What is this even supposed to mean? Are people supposed to think this is somehow deep?

Job code is mostly boring. If you're looking for interesting things to code try cloning softwares you actually use like an imageboard, a rss reader, an email client or whatnot

>What are some examples of real-life coding assignments from employers

"We have a client which is 490,000 lines written over the course of 10 years by two graduates that both left the company. The client was developed using """"AGILE"""" methodologies so it has absolutely no architecture, no structure, no design or modularity. Nearly 60% of features are either broken or copies of other features but no two features share the same code meaning that the code itself is a writing soup of duplicate data structures and duplicate classes. QA was done on a 'The client says it's broken so let's hack it just enough to fool them' and there was a plan to unit test the thing on the old Trello board before we moved to JIRA - but since we outsourced a lot of the work to eastern Europe they assure us that QA is not needed. We have a build and release cycle that consists of everybody merging their code in and then spending almost two days resolving merge conflicts before giving up, reverting, and copying the classes that were in conflict from github to a different place so that most of the feature set can only be used one at a time. Software versioning is now at 5 decimal points with clusters of customers centred around the releases where their particular feature works. There are some customers still on version 2 from 2007 and some customers have custom forks because their features were considered too big to merge with the main codebase. Devops move through at least 5 buzzwords per week and have spent the last year moving through application servers because each new devops member remembers then from their last job. This week we're going to implement a kafkan post-jboss/docker entree with fresh cassandra and an ansible vargant main. Dessert is puppet controlling chef deploying bash scripts that start jars which can configure puppet.

We want you to make sure that the system is 100% reliable at scale"

You're just saying random words at some point.

10/10 accuracy though, OP check this guy out.

Look up "real programmers don't use pascal".
web.mit.edu/humor/Computers/real.programmers
It's old but still relevant.

that post single-handedly allowed C++ and Java to thrive and held back computing for 30 years

Sounds like a bloated, overly engineered piece of trash that was hacked together by idiots

Code in books is always either way over simplified or too perfect. Just browse github of any open source projects that you use and like. Like ones that you would say are very stable and have been in development a while. Then analyze it and think of ways you could simplify it without breaking anything. Clone the project and tinker around with it until you fully understand it. Make a clone of the same project from scratch. Books are good for learning syntax. The rest is just practice.