What is a DAW?
Digital
Audio
Workstation

>What DAW is yours?

>How long you been on it?

>How long have you been into music?

>What genre do you play with the most?

>What Genre do you think you are best at?

>Have you thought about changing up to something else?

>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?

>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?

Bonus points:

>Who is best Asian food?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>this is Sup Forums not Sup Forums gtfo

We do not talk about the music as it is but how it's created and what we use and how to help
others get better

1 simple rule I hope you can guys do, please don't be assholes to those who
have a different perspective on another DAW, no matter what it is or how shitty
it is. I know there are some very laughable ones out there but ya know...
So please just be as helpful as you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links and info:
For the sake of work, you are allowed to use a name. Just don't
make yourself look like a dumb ass and make me regret saying
that.

If you need help, you can use Clyp.it if you wish to stay user.

If this thread is ded you are welcomed to Nexus, A discord
server specifically made around Sup Forums. If link is bork,
please message the thread. There is a DAW General chat here:

discord.gg/0lS3CoGz1pJKA01O

[NOTE: THIS LINK SHOULD REMAIN VALID THROUGHOUT THE ARCHIVES.]

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1xTHopY7scG
clyp.it/2cywbqvf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Who
what
LOL

FROOTYLUPEZ I ONLY MAKE TRAP AND DUBSTEP

>He doesn't make vaporwave

I have a AKG C1000S and a Roland duo Ex, and i want to record myself playing violin, what is the best DAW that suites my needs?

I hear a lot of people are recording in Protools like that. You could also use Audacity.

I use a circuit bent Sega Genesis and a Motorola 68000 compiler.

show your work user

I actually really suck at music, I only know a bit about circuits.

My workflow consists of putting random notes on the tracker until I find a combination that doesn't sound too horrible and then just noodling around with it forever.

vocaroo.com/i/s1xTHopY7scG

Reaper and just some Folk metal covers and own shit sang on Spanish, pure shit mixed with all pirated expansions of Ezmix 2 because i dont Know equalization... Some big made out of live concerts thanks to that

>What DAW is yours?
Ableton and Renoise.

Dunno, 5 or 6 years for Ableton. I actually forgot when I picked up Renoise.

Hard to say... 20-ish years if you count mucking around with fast tracker 2 and a fuckton of samples. Longer if you count playing classical guitar.

At the moment a lot of dub techno because a friend and I are doing something together. I've spent a long time making jungle & dnb, garage, and straight up techno. Spent a few years fucking around in a band playing everything from punk to metal to grunge. I don't like to think too much about genres other than how something sounds and is structured. Anything beyond that is just excessive categorizing like "neo-funk post-liquid drill and bass" or some shitty marketing term, which can just fuck off.

Dunno, I like to do different things a lot.

Constantly, it's all about having fun. I revisit genres I've stopped playing for a while as well. I don't like the idea that you're supposed to make X and just X, while you could be having fun with Y and Z.

Hardware: Korg Volca Bass and Keys. It's fucking cheap but they're a lot of fun.
Software: tough to pick specifically one, but it's safe to say I've spent a lot of time in Reaktor 5. It's not because I'm making something you can't do on another plugin, just that it's fun.

My objective is to have fun so yeah, I'll be doing this as long as I can afford to. I've got a full time job. Relying on music for a steady income is a bad idea unless you're really successful. Some of the gigs I've played barely covered travel expenses, but they were fun.

I hate you

Really liking sunvox, if it had vst support and live recording I would drop renoise off in the middle of nowhere.

I use Cubase but only use it for audio mixing. Previously I toyed a lot with VSTs, Minimoog is all sorts of fun. Got some stuff done there.

I tired some tracker software, namely Milkytracker. Toyed with a few tunes too there.

>What DAW is yours?
i use FL because i started with it years ago and couldn't bring myself to learn another daw, my workflow is just oo great with it

for about 4 years i think

about 6-7 years, started with acoustic instruments but then slowly faded away from them

any kind of bass music i've done some techno and jungle tunes but i don't stick to one genre

old school d&b (2000's era, really industrial sounding stuff)

i'm getting into more melodic stuff lately, really influenced by the ninja tunes releases

the MicroKorg, it's just great :')
also the volca stuff as user said, they are really fun. just bought an MS-
mini this morning and i have to say it's pretty gud too
sure ! i'm already doing this as a passion

Bonus points:

>Who is best Asian food?
ayy

>tfw unironically use FL for synthwave
It's just so

F L U I D
L
U
I
D

>What DAW is yours?
FL Studio (usually the most recent update)
3 years +, when I discovered it wasn’t that much of a meme anymore and could actually be used as a serious tool
12 years, first learning violin (and gave up at some point, all people who continue you have my respect) then I kept on composing stuff.
JRock, Electronic, Orchestral, I tried some step stuff but I’m really bad at this
Mainly orchestral, I usually mix it with electronic too.
Did several times, but I just couldn’t get used to the new workflow, always went back to FL (before FL I was mainly using Cubase 4, and before that just an actual piano)
helm (surprisingly not an orchestral VSTi, but whatever)
absolutely, it’s a passion, it would be a plus if I could actually do something with it

>Who is best Asian food?
Actual Japanese food, not these mockup sushis and tasteless “Japanese” dishes we have in western countries. And Tibetan food.

Bumb for interest
I made a little diddy. Still no idea how to go from little bit that sounds good to a full song.

clyp.it/2cywbqvf

Selfish bump

>What DAW is yours?
Reaper my favorite.
Two years now.
Since childhood. Never trained, though. I just fuck around and whatever happens happens.
That's a tough question. I don't know. I try not to make anything that fits perfectly under a genre. It's a willy-nilly kind of process.
...idk. Experimental electronic shit, I guess? I honestly don't know.
Used to 'use' FL Studio. Hated it. The workflow is retarded and it's way more expensive than it should be. Have not looked back since switching to Reaper.
Seaboard RISE 25. (P-please don't shoot me...it's actually pretty good.)
Yes. It's a hobby. I don't put my material out there. I just make stuff and keep it locked away for the most part. I'm afraid of judgement and feedback, positive or negative. Plus I never feel like anything I do is quite 'done,' so I just let projects continue to incubate indefinitely. There are a few tracks I've been working on continually for almost two years now. It's just fun.

>Who is best Asian food?
What does that even mean? Which Asian dish is the best? Which Asian country has the best food? Who makes the best Asian food? I honestly don't know how to answer that.

Has anyone tried ardour? If I have to learn something I'd rather it be free (so I don't get jewed on updates) but I never got around to getting it installed...

Why is it that all DAWs are drastically different to the point that if you take someone who's been using Reaper and plop them in front of a computer running, say, Logic or Reason or Ableton, they won't know what the fuck they're doing?
I mean, when you look at all of the top competing browsers, they're all more-or-less the same, right? Someone who prefers to use Chrome could easily start using Firefox without a problem, and vice versa. So what's up with DAWs?

>Who
yeah that was a type-o on my end "what"

People talk about it all the time.
>jew updates
Nah dude, FL11 is fine. Don't get 12 cause they fuck up EVERYTHING and move shit around. It's like going to the Pokemon Center and they moved nurse Joy to the Poke-mart for no reason

literally this
>"I want to try something different!"
>"I don't like this!"
>"I want it to be so damn complicated I have to scream at my monitor!"
That's ableton for 1. Hell, I think ardor is less confusing and Deadmau5 of all people use it to compose.
Yes, they are to a point, but FL gets shit on of all because it's "the easiest to learn"

It's like driving a speed boat and driving a big cruise boat like the titanic 2 (google this).

Just cause it's cooler and bigger doesn't mean you know how to drive it.

It depends on what you want out of a daw. If your looking to record, mix and master stuff ardour is fine. But at least last time I messed with it I found it to be pretty cumbersome for composition. Qtractor is nice, kind of like a simpler ardour with better midi support. Personally though I like using sunvox if I don't need vst's or Renoise. Because I like the tracker style daws.

If you want minimalism, just get REAPER and call it a day. The rest of them (excluding GarbageBand) are confusing as fuck and you have to sell your left arm, right leg and your soul to learn how to use them.

>he doesn't torrent and get a cracked copy

I know I keep talking about this, but honestly, FL is not complicated. If anything was easy would it be worth using?

another bump

why is abletons piano roll so shit?

>What DAW is yours?
Ableton live 9
2-3 years i forget
2-3 years i forget
electronic, old school dubstep, bass/electro house, drum and bass
house
once im better at music theory i plan on trying breakcore
serum
yes

(OP)
>What DAW is yours?
Logic Pro X
1 month
My whole life
emo, folk punk, pop punk
emo
In the past I have wanted to be in a prog metal/post hardcore band, but I mostly write sad stuff
Does LSDJ for gameboy count?
I'm most likely going to school for music next year (if I get in), so I'm going in some direction

On the topic of f, i still use 10.1 i never liked the updates, i tried 12 but they moved shit all around, it has some nice features but if i have to spend more than 10 seconds looking for a knob i knew the position by heart what's the point ?
Prove me wrong if you use 12. I'm interested

You don't have to keep bumping your own thread because (a) bumping your own thread doesn't work and (b) it's a /general/. It'll keep itself alive.

Are you talking about FL10? FL 11 is better and prolly the most stable. 12 us garbage