What happens when your Internet speed is faster than your HDD?

What happens when your Internet speed is faster than your HDD?

lets say my Internet speed was 5gbps(500 megabytes per second), but the max write speed of my HDD is only 157 megabytes per second.

Other urls found in this thread:

seattleix.net/join
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you can't possibly be this retarded

You computer is only as fast as its slowest component. Also it depends on what you do with your internet

You will be limited to the speed of your HDD, this is the problem with all seedboxes.

Anonymous I think you and computers aren't meant to be.

Im talking about a large file, let's say 20gb or so

The file will be downloaded to RAM.

now one has this fast internet so its impossible to tell

calle street

you can get 10GbE links in data centers

>What happens when your Internet speed is faster than your HDD?
if you can afford a 10GbE link (or bonding a bunch of 1GbE links) you can afford a SSD or a RAID

Please OP, deploy the logical and rational side of your brain. You can't be this dumb, you made it to the internet for Gods sake.

What happens when your HDD speed is faster than your Internet?

>now one has this fast internet so its impossible to tell
I have 40 GbE at work, so yes it is possible.

40 GbE is becoming more widespread than 10 GbE these days. I predict that within 2-3 years, 100 GbE will be available for high-end demands.

100GbE has been out for a while user

But it's not widely available and adopted, which is my point.

>file is 1TB
good luck
get SSD or raid.

What happens when your HDD speed is faster than your ram and you use swap?

the new™ samsung™ 960™ Pro™ is for you then, with speeds over 500Gbps you won't have to worry anymore

>>file is 1TB
>good luck
it'll get swapped off, no worries there

>What happens when your HDD speed is faster than your ram and you use swap?
If it's faster than your RAM, it's faster than your IO bus too, so nothing particularly happens.

But what happens when RAM and persistent storage (aka NVMe disks) becomes faster than your L1 cache?

they're available at most peering facilities

seattleix.net/join

What happens when your internet connection becomes faster than accessing cpu registers?

I stand corrected. Adoption is going faster than I predicted.

The real question is what happens when your internet connection becomes faster than light.

Nothing. Because buffers and system calls

>What happens when your Internet speed is faster than your HDD?
You realise that your disk is bogging your system down, and get a quick PCIe SSD in order to step up, nigga.

it writes the file to hdd first, while hdd is spinning to the next space where it can write the file is being written to RAM. at this point the file keeps writing to RAM and RAM writes to HDD. When RAM is full the download stops until there is space again (essentially instant), thus your effective download speed is the write speed of your HDD.

at least that's my guess, i don't actually know if it's true

>calle captcha
every fn time

How much faster is that compared to my 850 evo? Should I upgrade ??

Life goes on...

Well if you stream to ram (use an application that doesn't cache to disk) you could stream all content over your network instead of saving it.

But it's generally not gonna happen. It's an odd case and most user applications are developed for the common case.

>OP posts image of niggers
>OP isn't severely retarded

pick one