What does Sup Forums think about the dell xps 15?

is it good for a main device

I'll probably get one after they upgrade to Nvidia's 1000 level graphics card, and once they move to 7th generation Intel i7.

It's lightweight I think, which is nice for a cs uni student (can't use a tower pc in college easily), so it'll probably be my main driver

>10-bit HEVC and VP9 HW decoding
>don't have to have a bunch of dongles at all times
>can use USB and wifi at the same time
>keyboard not shallower than a hollywood slut
>quiet keyboard
>non-proprietary SSD
>no memetouch emojibar
>USB-A
>escape
>no tamper tape on battery screws

Absolutely disgusting. Get the macbook pro 2016 poorfag.

I'm planning on getting one of these
It's a fat chance, but I figured I'll see if there's any deals on BF or CM
I'm going to get the cheapest configuration that has the 4k screen. I think it's $1600

I have the XPS 15 9550, 1080, i5, 1tb hdd. I don't use it ad my main device(yet), but holy shit yes I absolutely would if I didn't have my tower at home. I love that little shit to death.
Ask me anything.

I just returned it within 48 hours of purchasing. I can't deal with laptops anymore.I ended up keeping my Asus k501ux. The 4k screen is cool, but you cant fucking use VMs in it without destroying your battery. As well as the huge resolution means you're looking at ant pictures all day.

Scaling on windows is retarded and blurry.
Battery only lasts long enough to brush your teeth.

My answer is no. But who am I but a random user in the internet.

just waiting for kaby lake quad core version, then I will buy. Macbook 2016 turned out to be huge faggotry and downgrade hardware-wise.

there is Full HD version you retardo-friendo

Pretty much this. I love everything about the 9550 but the 10 series refresh is almost here so why not.

Kind of wish they could have magic'd a 1060 in there instead of a 1050ti even if you had to do some magic to keep it cool under load.

How long does your desktops battery last while doing virtualization? Do you realize how retarded you sound? Plug it the fuck in for something that heavy. Also there's a 1080p version.

>buying a dell computer ever

Just get the new msi stealth pro if you wanted a 1060

>buying an asus laptop

both you and op are fucking dumb at buying shit, even samsung or the new razer laptop is a better choice then fucking asus or dell.

Finally some news, I was holding off getting a razer blade, because I like the 15's screen way more. Though not sure how much I'd like going back to a plastic instead of the aluminium razer.

Need a new laptop as a cs student as well. It's between this and a 2015 15inch mbp.

Leaning towards the mbp because I found the keyboard much nicer to type on and it will prob last much longer than fucking dell.

MSI displays are garbage usually. And idk about their support.

Dell support is shit tier

>2016
>still felling for this meme

Get a Thinkpad faggot

sure

dont get dell, and mbps are meh which year are you getting.

I use for school and a bit of gaming. Its pretty fantastic but watch out for the build of the screen. I got a refurbished one and its bleeding a bit. Kept it because I am studying across the sea.

Coil whine, Dell panel lottery. The review units always get the best panel of the batch, but consumers aren't always as lucky. If you can get one without either of those problem, good for you.

What isn't MSI or an mbp that competes?

Not bothering with something that's got a good chance of being DoA, or Dell's support. Paying for the two in tandem sound like masochism.

Their monitors are pretty great though, but I am not risking it with an actual computer.

I've got an XPS13, it's my favorite laptop by far. Amazing battery life, good performance, great screen (1080p matte one, I don't like glossy screens), light and compact to carry.

I actually looked at in in the store.

Say what you will but aesthetics are important to a machine I will be using daily for the next several years. I'd rather just get an eGPU than carry around a gaming laptop.

Moving on from my shittastic GT650m even the 1050ti will be usable.

Dell support and the horror stories from others regarding Dell support makes me worry.

I do not want to fuck around returning machines until I win the laptop lottery.

I suppose if you bought it from a retail location and they didn't get the shits with you returning units all day until you got a good one.

Really good laptop, actually pay a decent price for a decent product

Things that could be improved though
>tapered design looks ugly as fuck
>build quality looks meh
>big fat bezel at the bottom is shit
>touchpad is still absolute shit tier if you've ever used any Apple touchpad
>keyboard and touchpad both seem like they could be a bit bigger given the amount of surface that is free

Things that are good about it
>display looks awesome, choice between standard full HD and a 4k touch is pretty neat
>the IO is great, another USB port would have been nice, maybe a USB C just in case but no complaints overall
>actually having a dedicated graphics card, 'high end' laptops seem to be skipping this nowadays
>expandable memory
>no soldered proprietary shit, or at least not much

Seeing as they're targeting the higher end market I would have liked to see something that looks somewhat elegant from a glance. Some sort of aluminium chassis, get rid of the ugly taper/contouring on the bottom/front (would probably give more room for extra battery + other shit too). Then they should spend money on developing a touchpad which shits all over Apple's current amazing one, and then they'll probably have my money.

Why a company hasn't just made a Macbook Pro clone with beefier specs is beyond me?

I'm planning on studying Financial Engineering, is the upcoming XPS 15 the best future-proof option for me? I was also considering a macbook pro 2016 but I think if Dell refreshes the xps 15 line they'll outperform the mac

after covering the awful logo the new razer laptops are shockingly value packed in the premium arena

>I think if Dell refreshes the xps 15 line they'll outperform the mac
It probably will but pure CPU/GPU performance is an absolutely idiotic way to decide which laptop to buy, a Razer Blade 14" will likely outperform both.

xps 13 is my main. I love it.

Are you deaf or you enjoy that horrid coil whine?

This pretty much, right now my main machine is a laptop with a i7 and the gtx860m and the performance jump is very little.
I will buy the next gen xps 15 for sure, I hope they will keep the matte display version.