/pcbg/ - PC Building General

People should post their completed builds edition
Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NKpJm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/hjbdr7
amazon.com/Asus-VX248H-24-Inch-1920x1080-Monitor/dp/B00GMGHCVG
amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC
amazon.com/gp/product/B0098Y77U0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BXW7pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/M3qXYr
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/P6vCFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/XqFWf8
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853035&cm_re=DEEPCOOL_DUKASE_V2-_-11-853-035-_-Product
ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=90146
pcpartpicker.com/list/s2wFKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/9smvqk
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/m2WCFd
whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1
lmgtfy.com/?q=RX 470 benchmarks battlefield 1
pcpartpicker.com/list/LgZDkT
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NPh84C
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tz9pm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/V3BJm8
pcpartpicker.com/product/9XL7YJ/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bkw
pcpartpicker.com/list/DKbDkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/mbZDkT
pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7
pcpartpicker.com/list/k9Y7pb
youtube.com/watch?v=8j-u7B5nzAk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NKpJm8

If I decide to bump it up to an i7, will I have to upgrade anything else? I was thinking maybe a better HSF? I'm not big into overclocking personally.

Any good deals on HDDs?

Looking to upgrade from i7 x980 and r9 290 tri x going for 1440p gaming.

How does i7-6800k + a 1070 sound? Need good CPU for playing games like squad and total war. Mini itx.

Hi again /pcbg/, is this build acceptable for for very light 1080p gaming (MMORPGs), photo-editing, watching movies, and browsing the web?
>pcpartpicker.com/list/hjbdr7

Should I consider downgrading the GPU to save money, since I'm a poorfag and I'm coming from a mobile GPU (750M) i.e. virtually anything would be a massive upgrade?

If you had to choose between this monitor
>amazon.com/Asus-VX248H-24-Inch-1920x1080-Monitor/dp/B00GMGHCVG
or this monitor
>amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC
which would you choose and why?
If you wouldn't choose either, due to brand, ppi, panel type etc., could you specify why?

For better prices, should I wait for Cyber Monday/Black Friday, or go ahead and purchase the main parts now?
I'm considering waiting until those days to buy a monitor and keyboard, but beyond that I'm leaning towards just outright buying the parts I already know I want/need.

USA

If you have a microcenter nearby consider the 5820k. The 6800k is within 5-10% performance but costs $100+ more.

>I'm not big into overclocking personally

then that cooler you picked is okay

>deals
What do you mean? Hdds aren't that expensive to begin with. WD cb 1tb is usually near $50 and hgst 1tb drives are closer to $40. Unless you mean you want to save more than $10 on higher end ones?

Looking to upgrade my old AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition. Would the FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera be a substantial upgrade?

I'm stuck with my old AM3+ chipset, so it'll have to be AMD. Are there any better AMD CPUs out there for the money?

Depends what you're looking for, the larger WD and Seagate drives can occasionally see decent sales, but smaller HDDs in the 1-2TB range are fairly stable in price.

That's pretty much your only option.
It will be about 15% faster per clock, and have 8 cores instead of 4.

But for anything that is only using 1-4 cores, the 8350 will only be a slight upgrade. If what you are doing can use all 8 threads, then the 8350 will be about twice as fast.

BF/CM sales are shitty, probably just on monitors and ssds, perhaps some rebates instead of actual sales too. Ram has gotten more expensive, and newegg especially has been doing some dumb "sales" except they're going to do 1tb samsung 850 evo for ~$230 I think. For you, I think you would be better off buying parts like the cpu and mobo now, wait a little on the psu since there will be sales on various units leading up to christmas, and if you have a microcenter or frys near you, you'd better haul ass and buy from them instead of online retailers.

I have a couple ideas in mind

I can head to Microcenter in cambridge this weekend to pick up a 6600k for $180 (150 if I buy a mobo same time) and a mid tier Z170 mobo. Id like to also purchase ram the same time as I could then cannibalize my current rig and use parts on the new one until I have the $ to finish the new build, but I doubt ill have enough.

I was also considering just buying an older 8320e and an AM3 990 board, and order a 470 next paycheck keeping the rest of my hardware until a few months after zen.

Current rig

Athlon 750k
fm2 mobo
7870le
120gb ssd
1tb HDD

I would love the 6600k now ofcorse but i cant use my entire paycheck, esp when it still woldnt be enough to put together an up and running rig this weekend.

I mostly do some light 1080p gaming, wow/overwatch/bf1 I would like to do some video recording/editing and upgrade to a 1440p 28"+ monitor soon

no that's a great deal for the card. honestly i might even get it i didnt know there was a 480 for 170

looking back on my amazon orders i apparently got this monitor for 79.99
amazon.com/gp/product/B0098Y77U0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i guess i got a great deal for it. anyway i love it and its great. nothing wrong it just fantastic

you might as well wait another 2 days and see if any deals pop up

I'm gonna buy a PC with i3-3220 and 4 GB ram and a great mobo for 90 euro. I'm upgrading from a Core2Duo E7500. Will I see any difference and is it expensive or cheap?

i mean a computer under 100 bucks made 4 years ago isnt too bad. if youre gunna be gaming its not gunna be the best but itll get you shitposting up to speed

This rig I use mostly for games. I'm guessing eight cores wouldn't really help with that, would it?

Does AMD really have nothing better?

Powercolor has a 480 with 4gb of ram but it must be damn new as I cant find a single review on it, all the results are for the 470.

Currently on sale for $170 I cant see how this wouldnt be the greatest bang for buck 1080p card ever but I dont get my check til Fri :/

Nothing until Zen which wont be for another ~2 months.

And will require the AM4 socket and DDR4 RAM.

Many AAA games from the last year have been using more and more cores, so the FX8350 might be enough for you, but it will be dependent on the games you play.

Only in certain games. DX12 has recently breathed new life into the FX line since it makes use of more threads more efficiently in new games, but this is still the exception and not the rule.

AMD's new CPU is coming out in a few months but of course that will be a whole new chipset.

Side note: Not all AM3+ boards that worked with Phenom II will work for the FX series. I own a Phenom II 555 that's collecting dust now and looked into it at one point in time years ago.

am i really going to notice a difference if i buy a zotac 1050 ti for 129.99 compared to an evga 1050 ti for 144.99

besides the 15 bucks is there really a difference between the two

ITS BLACK FRIDAY BITCHES.

what should i get? i saved up a whole shitload of cash. i already have a boss rig. WHAT SHOULD I SPEND MY MOOLA ON?

Fuck no. Save your money.

When Intel's new desktop CPU's drop and when Zen finally drops, current gen CPUs will all fall in price, right?

I really want to invest in a new PC, but I can wait a bit if that means saving a bit or even spending a bit more to future proof it a little longer.

The saddest part is that I've heard Intel is going all the way from their current 14nm architecture to 10nm architecture come some time in 2017 (probably 2018 though tbqh). 10nm architecture CPU's would be so fucking power efficient and if they keep the current like ~80w rating with that architecture it should gain a substantial amount of power. Too bad with the amount of R&D going into 10nm that they'll for sure charge an arm and a leg

Thoughts? My current idea is to just wait until new CPUs drop in the next couple months and then re-weigh my options

is the user from last thread who provided me with amazon links still here? if you are is this good?
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BXW7pb

>ITS BLACK FRIDAY BITCHES.
>not even Thursday in eastern USA.

I'll end up getting it, because DX12, but I'll make sure to look into my motherboard's compatibility first.

Thanks for the fast responses. This is a quality thread.

Need advice for buying PC parts as an Australian

>amazon has cheap prices
>half the parts don't ship to Australia
>if they do then the shipping is fucked

>the few Australian PC retailers that sell parts know the lack of diversity in the Australian market so they purposely hike prices
>get taxed on everything because a PC setup cost a lot
>still have to pay ridiculous amounts for shipping

People living in/around Europe, Asia, America have no idea how fucked it is to get shit shipped to a shit posting island on the other side of the world

fuck

>he doesn't own a time machine
Kek, maybe you can get one on sale tomorrow.

>current gen CPUs will all fall in price, right?
At least with intel, that's generally not how it works outside of some sales here and there. Historically they've held their prices +/- $20 where they have always been as supplies dry up and the new chips make their way to market.

For example, I bought a 5820k last August for $379 and it's actually gone up in price to $389 over a whole year later.

Intel's new arch for consumers, Kaby Lake, offers no IPC improvement over Skylake. It's just a stopgap 14nm chip with a few features added in. Doubtful we'll see Cannonlake until 2018 at this point.

If you need a PC then you need a PC so I don't see much sense in waiting. You basically get what you pay for at this point, though I suppose Zen could shake things up a bit.

Someone give me a good site for comparing CPU in terms of gay men performance

How bad is the i7- 6700HQ, pretty much your only option for mobile processing in gay men laptops?

Especially in something with proper cooling like the new alienware, Passmark gives it shitty score compared to a 980x

If you can get it for a good price then go for it, just don't expect crazy boosts in performance outside of DX12 games/multithreaded programs but I hope it works out for you. Honestly if I were in your shoes and I had stuck with my Phenom I probably would have done the same if my mobo could have handled the switch.

The clickbait sites like cpuboss are fucking shit and filled with misinformation and comparisons that make no sense. There is no magic site for what you want. Check logicalincrements.com for a general buying guide or just get gud by reading reviews on places like Anandtech/Tom's Hardware.

>gaming laptops
Just don't fucking do it.

it's just a low clocked quad core with hyperthreading, it has low TDP generally so it can't turbo up super high like a desktop quad core.

So, I'm mainly looking into 1080p gaming and I was wondering if I am overdoing it with this unfinished build so far? Can I get some feedback and maybe some improvements as well? Also, no totally sure what I should get for a mobo sine it's a bit overwhelming to look at on pcpart. Are any of the the Z170's considered to be generally fine? I'm "aiming" at $1k as my budget.

pcpartpicker.com/list/M3qXYr

The 980x has 6 cores and 12 threads and is an old-ass powersucking monster with 3x the TDP of the 6700HQ.

It makes no sense to compare their Passmark scores. Anyway, what said is true, you're going to be throttled to hell in any "gaming laptop". Don't fucking do it.

lol nice one

Yeah I've already given up the laptop now, the only thing good for laptops is a 1060 in something just for fun but that's another story.

I have to decide now if a 6700k would be a decent upgrade to play my RTS games and some stupid fucking draw distance calculation heavy games.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/P6vCFd

Let me fix that for you.

>Play Titanfall 2 on High at a silky, smooth 60+ FPS on my ASUS 144hz monitor at 1080p.

>Use MS Office 2012 for my accounting classes.

>Listen to 320/FLAC on my HD-650s.

I have the 6' long desk, ergonomic chair, taticool Poseidon Z mechanical keyboard and Logitech G303 mouse.

Just need the RIG aka case and all the components; price isn't an issue, I just don't the most L337 RIG EVER!!11oneone

Last RIG I built was six years ago but I got an offer I couldn't refuse and now it's time to start fresh.

Im Thinking more about it, I think im going to go with an 8320e and an MSI 970 Gaming AM3+ I can actually bundle it and only pay $120 for both.

Its just going to upgrade my current rig, reusing everything but the cpu/mobo and case as I am buying a new case soon as well and Ill likely end up with a 470 or 480 4gb in a couple weeks.

I think ill be happy with it, should be much better then my athlon 750k

Yeah fair point, I'm guessing Zen will only shake things up in the lower end of the CPU market. And even then I'm sure even the new Zen CPUs will be nowhere near as power efficient as Intel's chips; will have to wait and see though.

Only problem is I'm this guy so a nice ITX, i5-6600k, 1070 build with a nice monitor will set me back about $2800 AUD which is like $2100 USD.

Still not sure if in pic related "Inc GST: $226" means it is included in the $2487 total, or if it's a charge which will be included on top of that cost making it $226 more expensive?

Either way if you were American you'd get all my picked out parts way cheaper, could probably find better parts with better deals and shipping would be free :(

>wait a little on the psu since there will be sales on various units leading up to christmas
My current computer is consistently having HDD issues, to the point where I can't turn the computer off without a strong risk of it not turning back on. Should I still wait on deals for non-mobo/cpu parts, or should I try to put it together ASAP even if it means spending a bit more money?

Honestly it's up to you. I don't know what you want out of your pc and I don't want to tell you take gambles on waiting for prices to drop, but if you feel you can get a good deal on a psu then it's all up to you.

I would look into the hdd itself for that issue you say you're having. I'd be concerned that it's more than a psu issue desu.

>cheap af budget junkyard server scrap build
>mostly vidya editing with the occassional after effects, future 3d animation rendering and light gaymen

>dual xeon x5550s
>tyan server lga1366 dual slot server board
>48gb ddr3 ram
>sapphire r9 380 mini (got it like for $125 so I guess its within budget range already
>250gb samsung ssd and bunch of hdds from my previous pc that died
>seasonic 600w server psu

is this good enough for a pleb video editing build? What should i upgrade?

Pic related

pcpartpicker.com/list/XqFWf8
Any good? Need this for work

Which case should I get, purely from an functionality/price standpoint?
>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853035&cm_re=DEEPCOOL_DUKASE_V2-_-11-853-035-_-Product

>ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=90146

Fuck wrong pic, this is the current version

That's fucking fresh my man.
But yeah, get a better videocard.

Guys, any tips on how I can build an affordable desktop? Only need something slightly more expensive than a console that can play most current gen games on high settings.
Would an I3 + Gtx 750ti suffice?

>only need something slightly more expensive than a console that can play most current gen games on high settings
Literally doesn't exist if you want 60 fps. i5 6500 and a 1060 is the bare minimum for 60fps 1080p

So 800 USD minimum

>Let me fix that for you.

All you did was put in a cheap video card.

pcpartpicker.com/list/s2wFKZ
Rate my 1440p build. I might get a nvmeme 950 Pro instead if I can get a good deal on Black Friday.

i3-6100 RX 470 is what I run, it works fine.
Nah

Try this
pcpartpicker.com/list/9smvqk

Also, I'm so fucking mad I paid 185 for the non OC version of the card I posted.

Fucking inflated prices, FUCK.

How good are the benchmarks? I want to play Battlefield 1 on my pc.

6700k black Friday

6700k black Friday

Gib

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/m2WCFd

Good enough for just playing video games on highest settings with ease?

I stole it from here.

whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1

i dunno man. maybe you should spend a couple more thousand bucks just to make sure

>autism

you need to go back

Full Modular or Non-Modular PSU for a first-time builder?
Only difference between the two besides modularity is $15.

The fuck is your problem?

>first-time builder

semi

>How good are the benchmarks?
lmgtfy.com/?q=RX 470 benchmarks battlefield 1

all im saying is that its obviously a decent machine and anyone with that rig would be more than happy. and then humpty dumpty comes along and goes

is it k?

nah bruh this is what you NEED
pcpartpicker.com/list/LgZDkT

What's the most bang for your buck Z170 board?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NPh84C

use this

yes but I'd stick to 1080 and not the 1440 meme

actually if you can still get this gpu from this seller for that price I'd do it

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tz9pm8

I'm looking for a ~$1500 pc to build for video games. I have the monitor and harddrive covered. I'm not good at picking parts so I just took parts from logical increments.

How is this so far? pcpartpicker.com/list/V3BJm8

What case should I go with? Not picky with looks as long as it has plenty of room for all the wires and such for easy access. I was looking at pcpartpicker.com/product/9XL7YJ/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bkw

Should I just stick with Cooler Master 212 for the cpu cooler?

Should I swap my 290x for a 1080.
I just came into a little cash this month.

1070 + 6700k

Can I get away with a Mini-ITX or should I do Micro-ATX?

Was thinking a 250d

pcpartpicker.com/list/DKbDkT

Overclocking the 6700K can heat it up quite a bit, so a good air cooling option is the DH15.

so if youre just playing vidya i dont think you really need the i7. that case is fine, i mean all cases are fine. ya know?

as far as the cooler the cryorig cools better and is quieter so id have to recommend it instead

i feel like anything with the label "gaming" on it is a meme

the ram doesnt have to be 3k, 2666 to 3k is probably like a 2% increase in performance

youre gunna want an hdd. i only use my ssd for booting windows and very critical programs. i slap pretty much everything else onto my hdd

i didnt touch your video card. i feel like thats a very personal choice and i respect your opinions

titanium is kind of overkill and you could probably save half the cost on your psu. but titanium > gold so i cant really argue that

i just tossed a very generic, highly rated case. i have the 88r for my build and i love it

pcpartpicker.com/list/mbZDkT

Can somebody suggest me a good cooler?

pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

i really dont think youll find anything better at this price range. if youre gunna spend more mone you might as well go liquid cooling

doesn't ship to canada :((((((

I'm torn between these 2 NVME based SSDs. Real world use, the Intel 600p is double the capacity for less money and performs very well but on paper is roughly 50% as fast as the Samsung. Would I benefit from the faster drive? Looking to use as a dedicated game install drive.

damn bro. maybe check amazon or ebay?

if you really cant get it i guess just go 212 :\ 212 is still *good* but the cryorig is better

Anyone have any experience with the Ga-g1.sniper Z170, I can't find any real reviews on it, and am considering getting it for my new build.

I'd rather get a better cooler than the 212, I could go for something more expensive.

The H7 I would get because it also looks cool. Whats an aesthetic cooler that will look nice in a tempered window case (I have an s340 elite black)

I don't plan to fiddle with overclocking, so I should just get an i5 I suppose. I hope I don't regret it

Doesn't seem like your case is compatible with my build, so I'll go with the fractal.

I'll get the cryorig

I know what you meme. Thanks, I'll go with the one you picked.

I plan to use the hdd in my current build, which is 6tb. So I'll want to buy just the sdd. I decided I might as well go for a high storage capacity too

My video card wasn't chosen on personal preference. Got any alternatives? I don't mind going higher in price for graphics if I can get consistent 60 fps and 1440p

I figure psu is important and that I shouldn't spare a lot of expense if I want an efficient and stable psu. I'll stick with my decision for titanium

Thanks for the help guys. So far it looks like this will be my final shopping list. I'm a little unsure about the video card and if I'll suffer in the long run for choosing i5 instead of i7. pcpartpicker.com/list/k9Y7pb

>don't need i7
there are games like squad, total war, just RTS genre in general that require a good CPU

Is there a different between Zotac and Asus 1080?

Get the 1050 ti

Dunno what board that is but an X8DTI-F is cheap and offers a lot more expandability.

First build ever. Planning on making a build and have a list of parts already.

Intel 3.70 GHz Core i3
Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB kit
Intel H110 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard
GTX 1050
EVGA 430 watt
120GB SATA III internal SSD
WD blue 1TB

Sorry I'm really new to this and I haven't built a PC before. The total right now is 496$ and I was just wondering if I could lower the cost while still making it a semi decent rig.

The Zotac AMP! Extreme as a higher Corr clock and better cooling, but it takes my power and is over a foot long. There's also the AMP! Edition 1080 which has a slightly lower core clock but is ~$80 cheaper than the AMP! Extreme and only has two fans.

*More power

That build is very solid. Apart from maybe getting cheaper memory, You're pretty handcuffed into what you have if you want semi-decent.

>lower the cost
>SSD
what even is the point of an ssd?
a normal hdd lasts long enough to be a good buy in any normal usage. i would never buy an ssd, unless it cost as much as an hdd

get rid of the ssd

You have to be 18+ to post here.

Don't listen to the above retards. An SSD is basically indispensable in 2016. Being limited to the speed of a plate spinning at 7200 rpm is the dumbest shit ever.

People that don't use SSDs are poorfag trash that have nothing better to do than sit around waiting for their PC/games/browser/anything to boot. If anything, don't buy an HDD, just scrounge around for one somewhere. HDD technology literally hasn't changed in like 15 fucking years, I'm sure you can find one somewhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=8j-u7B5nzAk

Already have a spare SSD and the mother needs a cheap but speedy desktop for invoices and shiet, this look gud?

Even has a USB C for extra storage

kys you need ssd for the drive and essential shit

What would you recommend I get for memory?

>hurr durr doesn't even know SSD lasts so much longer while being so much faster
it also costs accordingly.

again, what even is the point of an ssd?
if user really wants to cut cost, may be he really should not buy an SSD.

>hurr durr speed
>hurr durr i can't be late a few seconds to fap to my pony porn.
user is buying an i3, may be really doesn't need that much "power" and "speed"?

>essential
like pony porn?

You benefit from SSD at any processor, and an i3 isn't even slow anyway just doesn't have the extra cores.

SSD WILL reduce boot times and WILL make shit like chrome run faster WILL make your shitposting images folder synced to google drive open faster.