Is/was Bill Gates an elite programmer?

How does he rank as a Computer Scientist? I hear stories of his brilliance at Harvard but wonder how gritty he is as a programmer as opposed to a business meme.

Other urls found in this thread:

abebooks.com/Citroen-First-75-Years/12523464790/bd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is that a fucking Siemens Nixdorf laptop?

I thought he used IBM or some other Burger brand back then

He was pretty shit desu, just copying Steve Jobs and that. Yet they managed to be friends despite their business rivalry.

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

>dat autism fit

That's a nice desk he's got in his car...

He was able to hire the #1 computer scientists in the day, which actually meant something back then. Today things are so fucked up, innovation is dead, and has been for at least 15 years. When did Gates step down from CEO?

>How does he rank as a Computer Scientist?

Very low. Completely unremarkable for is era when he was actually doing it.

Now as a businessman? GOAT

Who did he hire?

Also what is that book? CITROEN THE FIRST 75 YEARS cant even find that book on amazon

Did our guy Bill write minesweeper or was that someone else?

tfw your car's only got a spruce top but Bill Gates has mahogany.

He wasn't great why do u think he bought DOS from others?

Whoever implemented minesweeper logic at Microsoft is a piece of shit. My puzzles shouldn't ever force me to guess.

>bought DOS
???

Who had better sex appeal. 20 year old Jobs or 20 year old Gates?

There was original dos, then dos clone, then another clone then the guy who made the clone of the clone of the clone was paid to make the MS version of the clone which became MS DOS and survived 8 version numbers.

If he coded anything, then he coded it in assembly, which automatically puts him ahead of 99.99% of the programmers of today.

learn history you fucking twat

goodness.

He programmed on his university's computer 3 AM everyday because no one was using it then. He was programming in assembly too. He was also hired to find vulnerabilities in a company's operating system. That's some elite shit right there.

They business strategy was to take emerging standards and standardize them with a proprietary format built in.

infinitely better than anyone here, but that wouldn't be saying much

It was probably a book given out to employees only.

>dat yamika

Yeah but jobs got cancer

Billy G 1-0

i wish bill gates had run for POTUS and won vs trump

>savage burn
10/10

This is now a battlestation thread.

Steve Jobs paid him to write software for Macintosh

he was kinda elite, but only at some specific moment in history, and whithin some specific toolset: [very few|no one else] would have been able to deliver altair basic whitin the time constrains it required.

that said, his skill as a businessman completely outshines his programming skills.

MSDOS was not the only DOS

He proved something about pancake sorting...?

It's the sequel to DOS.
Pretty much the same, just with a pink bow.

He was so good at math when found out Gates dropped out of school to work on computers he said something along the lines of what a waste of math talent. or something like that.

Gates completed the hardest math course ever created. It's called Math 55.

Gates was a genius. But where he shined was getting other people to do the work for him.

This differs from Steve Jobs, where other people invented and built everything popular that Apple made and Jobs simply took credit for it.

100% wrong

The thing Microsoft bought was a CP/M clone, which was NOT DOS.

Bill Gates took a somewhat shitty OS and revolutionized it into an OS that created the home PC and sustained two decades.

abebooks.com/Citroen-First-75-Years/12523464790/bd

his wife is a dog wtf is wrong with him, he's rich

great programmer, actual computer guy. better than stallman

dog wife

It looks more like a Zenith machine desu.

yeah man i saw that movie. the second one too.

shit was cash.

Listen dummy. Just 'cause he's rich don't mean he got game, fool.

you mean those toasters from way back when? or was that the washing machine?

yeah but so did stallman

Well, he bought DOS from someone else for 50k and repackaged it and sold to to IBM.

With the exception of Woz, none of these guys are great at tech, all their skills are business/ruthlessness.

Steve didn't ever code. He wasn't an engineer and he didn't do any original design.

You are now aware that MS dos was created by another guy who sold it to micro-soft back in the day.

Bill Gates had a business contact at IBM through one of his lawyer parents.

Bill Gates made that QBasic game with the banana throwing monkeys.

T dude was clearly an elite programmer.

>he types like that

>anything
Donkey game was written in BASIC.

I am

IBM needed an OS for their new PC, go to Microsoft.
Microsoft: "we only do languages, try Digital"
IBM goes to Digital, Kildall is out of town, wife hesitant to sign into any contracts without him.
IBM finds themselves back at MS, Gates now decides, "yeah, we can do an OS."
MS scrambles and finds CP/M clone QDOS, then buys it not mentioning the IBM deal (but they were under NDA anyway.)

Steve may be sexy, but Bill is dreamy.

So he is all about locking down software and having you pay for it to make a profit there.

Why not make the software free and charge for the bug fixes and education ?

Yet now he's in the bed with Monsanto and other evil corporations trying to copyright things that don't belong to them. What an hypocritical asshole.

>charge for the bug fixes
kek

The software he is bitching about people pirating cost $150, $200 or $350 dollars depending on the version. Adjusted for current prices this is roughly $674, $899, and $1573. Then toss in the computer which at the time cost a sixth the price of a new car, there is a good reason people said it should've been included with the computer and shared it.

>why not make the software free and charge for the software

freetards can't appreciate what the incentive provided by closed source, paid software has done for personal computers. LibreOffice wouldn't exist if meanie capitalists didn't make Lotus123, Corel Wordperfect etc

friendly gui Desktop Environments that we all enjoy wouldn't exist without meanie capitalists either.

If it were up to freetards like Stallman, computers would only "work" for computer scientists

personally, I have no problem with closed source programs. Look at all the great video games for instance. These are good things

I also use linux and almost all my programs are open source, but I don't do work on computer. I pirated Cakewalk and Amplitube on my windows computer, I'm not a commie but I'm also not a cuck

> elite programmer
this ain't cod kid

non free software is a problem but freetards by themselves will never be able to compete against propietarian devs.
And yes, its truth that without a push to advance the market computers will still be esoteric machines

liberation has only ever improved code. Berkeley won against att and bsd soared. gnu duplicated unix and soared. sun liberated openoffice and it soared. netscape became firefox.

i encourage you to really take a look at the origins of computing going back 50 years. we have so much now because of the work of small passionate groups of hackers. even things like ssl (ecommerce) we wouldn't have if it weren't for things like the cipherpunks.

"Liberty is so great a magician, endowed with so marvelous a power of productivity, that under the inspiration of this spirit alone, North America was able within less than a century to equal, and even surpass, the civilization of Europe."

>bsd
computer guys
>unix
computer guys
>firefox
agreed, but nobody would use firefox and the internet wouldn't be a big deal if Microsoft/Apple didn't make personal computing a reality

apple never had marketshare until ithings. even the first decade of os x userbase was disgruntled geeks and edu contracts.

personal computing became a reality for a lot of reasons. netscape was indeed a big deal. microsoft had little to do with the internet.

yes he was a programmer

I remember on anecdote about him getting pissed at developers of windows calling them incompetent over a program then proceeding finish it over the weekend

also he was in that one really exclusive harvard math class that RMS took (I forgot the name, it has a wikipedia page)