What engine is better?

What engine is better?
Unity
Unreal engine 4

The correct answer is Systemd

The one you make yourself

UE4 kicks Unity's ass any day, any time.

small game: unity
big game: ue4
If you are a faggot: cryengine

For what?

Making a loli simulator

Source

This. Unity is hipster garbage.

Source hasn't been relevant for fucking years. Turnaround is way too long.

Pic related

The RC45's is a close second because it's neat and you can actually buy one, or at least one of its close relatives (ie: 1998-2001 pigfat800)

>easy to use, fair license
unreal engine

>(((realistic))), (((dark))) graphics
cryengine

>fuck my shit up senpai
unity

Unity is full retard garbage.

Tbh loved the original FarCry

Any news on that guy who made a "loli-farm-simulater" and posted some screens of his work a while back?

He even made his own custom scripting language, just for the lolis dialogues n stuff

>not a V8

The guy on /sci/? Saw him in a thread a while back, like a month ago.

>Source hasn't been relevant for fucking years
>AAA game made with Source came out less than a month ago
???

>it's a popular vidya gayme by a big name company so it must be good

yeah, sure, a video game is good

CryEngine is for developing with a medium-big team in my opinion. Projects with it are too complex to handle by a single person.

Unity is perfect for mobile due to optimisation, size of the packages, compatibility with ads, VR, etc.

Unreal is the most balanced and, in my opinion, the best looking at the end. But on mobile can be a real pain: huge packages, no ads or VR on iOS, etc.

Now, that being said, if you are a C++ dev, ignore Unity even for mobile development.

You don't like Titanfall 2? It's fun, well reviewed, and runs at 60fps on consoles.

Modern or technologically competitive? Perhaps not, but it is mature (read: optimized and efficient), and very much usable depending on your project.

>no scripting
>hammer is straight from the 90s
>muh bsp
Like I said, turnaround is way too long. While a Source dev is waiting for his map or code to compile, a Unity / UE4 dev has implemented three more changes.

I'm sure it's not such a big deal for a big team with dedicated machines basically compiling all the time, but it's murder for anybody else.

>useable
Not as much as all the competition. UE4 games also run at 60fps on consoles, if you really care about that metric for some reason, and the development time is way lower.

>video games
>fun

l
o
l

>Developer time
>valuable

No. It's not. If you don't pay for time, you pay in quality.

User time > computer time > developer time

>if you really care about that metric for some reason

You need high frame rates to GO FAST
~/tfg

Portal 2 modder here

Fuck you source is shit

Aren't we talking about hobbyists here? I know I mentioned big teams and I'm not trying to move goalposts, but still.

Hobbyists can also go fuck themselves

Every bit of optimization counts over making lots of ricey crap fast. Your attitude is why we have text editors made out of web browsers.

idTech